2020 Oz Supercars & Supports | Le Bend

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

QR willing to host Supercars next weekend; NT Events 'monitoring' situation

Well QIR owner John Tetley has already jumped in and said he can host an event next weekend if needs be. Or any weekend put forward. (He can change dates of all existing events in their schedule.)

Good luck to him getting any agreement from MSA before next weekend given the lack of required safety improvements to barriers carried out as requested previously to host V8SC. Pigs might fly and all that.

Good that he is keen and happy to bend over backwards to help out.

I may be missing something but I am still reading of very low infection rates in Qld.....

[off topic rant warning]
......other than the three Queensland teenage ('coloured') chicks that think their shit doesnt stink and went on a trip to Melbourne to party and nick high end clothes and then tried to bullshit their way out of quarantine regs by flying back via Sydney and then to Brisbane where they lied about it all. All three returned positive tests. Now of course their family say they were picked on because of their colour. Good thing is they are looking down the barrel of 4 years in clink each for criminal deceipt. Shit like this makes it difficult for more normal less selfish people to get on with their lives

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 55gsd.html.
(video of the girls in this article needs to be watched to see the girls in question. ) @Ian-Sright up your street this.... it would be amusing in its pig headedness if it wasnt so serious :wink: [/off topic rant]

Anyway back to the implications on others of people like theirs irresponsibility.....
On July 31 the Northern Territory Government declared the City of Brisbane a coronavirus hotspot. Ipswich and Logan have also been included in the designated hotspots.

The new declaration has cast doubt over the scheduled double-header in Darwin, which is set to take place on August 8-9 and 15-16.

Triple Eight Race Engineering is based in one of the designated hotspots and at least one driver also resides in Brisbane.

Anyone who has been in a hotspot is currently required to complete a 14-day quarantine at their expense.With doubts over Darwin, Tetley said Queensland Raceway could accommodate Supercars on either or both of its dates that are currently scheduled for Hidden Valley Raceway.

“Without bureaucratic interference, my answer would almost certainly be yes within the next week or two,” Tetley told Speedcafe.com.

“The events that we own, which are most of the events that are run (at Queensland Raceway), we can move them around to accommodate them (Supercars).

“Obviously we can do it through the week as well.

“As I’ve said before, if it’s a win-win I’m more than happy to try and make it work for them, there’s no question about that.

“I have got bits in the calendar I can manipulate and it might mean cutting out a ride day or something like that.”

Speedcafe.com understands Queensland Raceway has already been considered by Supercars as a possible host for a future double-header.

Earlier this week Tetley said he hadn’t spoken with Supercars yet about that possibility.

If the championship was to make a late call to host its events at Queensland Raceway, the circuit would need approval from Motorsport Australia.

Part of that would likely require tyre barriers being built and installed on the circuit.

“To fulfil the requirements as CAMS (Motorsport Australia) stipulated them 18 months ago, we can set the track up to much the same way as it would have been in 2018,” said Tetley.

“We certainly cannot get it up to what they said would have to be the track for 2020 as it was originally put aside.

“We’ve done some work along those lines in any case with the pit lane fencing and some other bits and pieces, some of which we’ve modified because it didn’t really work with our product set so we had to pull some of it down.

“Other than that, we could meet the bulk of the requirements I would suggest. But if they’re going to insist on two kilometres of tyres walls, that takes a long time to build. It takes a while to find them.

“I don’t think we can accommodate what CAMS wanted. CAMS would have to change their tune. You’ve got no hope of finding enough tyres and building enough tyre walls in that length of time.”

Despite those obstacles, Tetley affirmed his belief that they wouldn’t be great enough to stop Supercars from hosting one event or more.

“We would find a way to do it,” he said.

“If we can accommodate it, and I’ve been saying that for six months, if we can find a way to get it in, we’ll get it in.”

Supercars has said it is working with health officials following the declaration from the Northern Territory Government.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/08/01/qr ... t-weekend/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago I may be missing something but I am still reading of very low infection rates in Qld.....
Currently fighting spot fires here. People need to behave themselves for the next week or two.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

V8 Transporters being held at the NT border....

Im getting a bit worried about this..... after having moved to Queensland and camped out there to escape NSW to NT border controls, the trucks all departed, having served their two weeks quarantine in Queensland, to make the long haul from Brisbane to Darwin. As has been mentioned here NT added certain parts of Queensland that bordered suburbs where V8 personnel were staying or live to the 'hotspot' areas precluded from entering NT.

Now I read that the trucks have all been held 10klms short of the border unable to enter NT until they get given clearance to do so. Even when they get the go ahead (if they do) they still have another 1500 klms to go to get to Darwin. In addition, the drivers and other team personnel were all scheduled to fly out on their chartered flight on Monday. This departure was then put off until Tuesday PM and has now been put off until Wednesday.

All the teams are giving no comment answers on orders from Supercars.

Im smelling a rat here.... hopefully given all the efforts and sacrifices made to enable the event to go ahead are not in vain.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/08/04/su ... clearance/

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Not sure what's going on there. I read that it was going ahead earlier today. I guess they must have run into some complications with the NT government.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Re Championship Criteria

Jumping ahead a bit, but the Championship minimum rounds / States which hold rounds for a Championship to be valid have been released....

Motorsport Australia has confirmed Supercars must conduct at least six rounds across a minimum of four states or territories.

So far the championship has hosted four rounds which include the season-opening Adelaide 500, the cancelled Melbourne 400, and the two most recent Sydney SuperSprint events.

Despite the Melbourne 400 falling victim to the coronavirus pandemic, it is understood the event is still counted towards the championship as cars qualified.

Currently, the championship has not met all the criteria to award the championship having only raced in South Australia, Victoria, and New South Wales.

As long as this weekend’s BetEasy Darwin Triple Crown in the Northern Territory goes ahead, it will have hosted events in enough states. Not an automatic qualifier at this stage given the state of limbo that exists with transporters being held at the border. However there seems no issues with the Forthcoming Townsville races giving us the required number of states. Then it just means we need to get to 10 rounds in total. Im sure they will find a way.

I guess there is also a minimum number of rounds required to satisfy the TV broadcasting rights contracts as well.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Darwin set to be postponed for a week.

As expected it is apparent the two Darwin rounds will be put off for a week, with confirmation due today. It may even become a mid week round.
Supercars transporters have entered the Northern Territory and a charter flight from Brisbane to Darwin is set to depart shortly after midday today. It seems those personnel that have been to hotspot locations around Brisbane will be forced into a 7 day quarantine on arrival in Darwin, hence the possible 7 day postponement of the event.

The traditional transporter parade was set to take place on August 6; however, event organisers are investigating a parade on August 13.
Supercars is set to announce its double-header in Darwin at Hidden Valley Raceway will be postponed by a week.

The decision comes following extensive negotiations between Supercars and the Northern Territory Government.

Supercars officials, teams, and drivers will be flown from Brisbane to Darwin this afternoon and those who have been in hotspots will be taken into managed isolation for what is understood to be seven days.

Speedcafe.com understands the BetEasy Darwin Triple Crown may be made into a mid-week event.

Team transporters only entered the Northern Territory this morning.

From Darwin, teams will travel directly to Townsville where Supercars will host its seventh round of the championship on August 29-30.

Last Friday there was doubt cast over the Darwin events after the Northern Territory Government declared Brisbane City, Logan, and Ipswich as hotspots.

Anyone who has been in a designated hotspot in the preceding 14 days must undertake a 14-day hotel quarantine at their expense.

Supercars acknowledged the declaration, but since then has not made an official statement on the status of the forthcoming events in Darwin.

It is anticipated an official confirmation of the delay will come this afternoon./quote]

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Darwin Postponed 7 Days *Confirmed*

Supercars has issued the following statement:
A new date for the Darwin SuperSprint is set to be announced soon, which could potentially be a mid-week race in the days following the first event in the Northern Territory.

It is expected more details will be released by Supercars today, detailing its COVID-Safe plan for the double-header.

Part of the plan will see Supercars teams isolated in a nearby hotel in a similar style to the Sydney Motorsport Park set-up in June and July.

Supercars officials, drivers, and teams are set to arrive in Darwin on Wednesday evening. Team transporters entered the Northern Territory from Queensland earlier today.

“Following intensive discussions over recent days and at the direction of the NT Government and the relevant health authority, the decision has been made to postpone this weekend’s event for seven days,” said Supercars CEO Sean Seamer.

“This decision has been made to ensure we protect the health and wellbeing of all of our people and the wider community in Northern Territory ahead of the BetEasy Darwin Triple Crown.

“We would like to thank the NT Government and health authorities on working with Supercars on developing a plan that allows us to move forward with the Northern leg of our Championship.

“I would also like to thank our teams and fans for their ongoing flexibility to accommodate this year’s Championship.

“This is a decision Supercars supports to ensure the health and wellbeing of all Territorians.

“This announcement will have no bearing on our plans for any future events including the Townsville SuperSprint.”

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Supercars confirms double header in Queensland at Townsville

With the Supercars double header in Darwin confirmed for some time in the next two weeks (the first round next weekend, the 2nd round to be confirmed, possibly even mid week to avoid a clash with local elections and AFL football fixtures over the following weekend) Supercars has confirmed it will host back-to-back events on the streets of Townsville, a meeting format that hs been in the rumour file for the past month..

The NTI Townsville SuperSprint will take place on August 29-30 with the second Townsville event scheduled for September 5-6. It will also feature spectators, a rare thing these days.

It seems likely after Townsville there will be at least one round at QIR, before the circus heads back to NSW. The season is currently slated to finish at Sydney Motorsport Park under lights on December 13-14. However, the season looks increasingly likely to conclude with the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 given the current increases in Covid contagions in NSW.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago

A new date for the Darwin SuperSprint is set to be announced soon, which could potentially be a mid-week race in the days following the first event in the Northern Territory.
Hidden Valley Raceway will host Supercars on successive weekends

Supercars has confirmed the second event in the Darwin double-header at Hidden Valley Raceway will not be a midweek affair.

Until today, the CoreStaff Darwin SuperSprint has not had a firm date attached to it after Supercars delayed it’s double-header in Darwin.

The forthcoming BetEady Darwin Triple Crown will take place this weekend on August 15-16 while the Darwin SuperSprint that follows has today been confirmed for August 22-23.

This will therefore clash with both the AFL football match in Darwin that weekend, and also local elections. The last I can recall reading is that spectators will be allowed at the Supercars races, although in limited numbers. That may have changed without me realizing it given the recent increases in Covid activity down under.

Edited to fix quotes.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The first of the Darwin double headers is this weekend.

https://www.supercars.com/2020-beteasy- ... e-results/

The tyre allocations which caused the results shake up at the Sydney rounds will be remaining much the same, the only major change is that there will be two compounds in the first round and a single compound in the second round (which is the opposite of what it was at Sydney).

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/08/06/su ... persprint/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

P1 at Darwin

Mostert fastest from ScottyMac. Potential problem for SVG with a 'strange back end'. They changed some bits but he ended up sitting out the final few minutes unhappy with the car. Mind you he still ended up faster than Whincup.

Practice 2 about to start.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

P2

So at the end of P2 McLaughlin from Mostert, Waters, Pye, Coulthard, Heimgartner, Holdsworth, Le Brocq, Hazelwood, and Kelly the top 10.
Whincup had an off damaging the rear and Courtney went off right at the end burying the front in the barriers. SVG still looked unhappy with his car.

Qualifying is only 30 minutes away so plenty of work for some.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Qualifying about to start.... they are mandated to use the hard tyre for qualifying here today.
It is elimination format ie Top 20 in Q1 through to Q2 then the top 15 through to a shootout for Q3.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Courtney is out on track ok after his off at the end of P2 but Whincup is a bit late and still in the garage with 6 minutes to go. He is in the car just waiting to be released though so should be ok.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hehehhe and we have a red flag as Whincup is on his outlap. 4:49 to go and the clock is frozen. Mostert stopped on track with "a huge vibration" which sounds like a drivetrain issue.. Hopefully nothing major.... he is 3rd so should get through to Q2 , depending on them fixing the car in time.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Strange to see spectators at an event, limited numbers though and all socially distanced (Darwin is not too badly hit by Covid.

It was the transaxle (gearbox) that broke on Mostert's car so unlikely he will get out for Q2 even though he qualified. I guess he will therefore start P20 as the remaining 19 head out for Q2.