800th Anniversary Mongol GP - Round 5 of 2020

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I honestly believe that Racing Point would be better served by a Perez/Hulk lineup in 2021 than a Perez/Vettel or Stroll/Vettel.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

John wrote: 3 years ago I honestly believe that Racing Point would be better served by a Perez/Hulk lineup in 2021 than a Perez/Vettel or Stroll/Vettel.
Absolutely agreed on this one. It's a pity that family will come before business and the sport.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

John wrote: 3 years ago I honestly believe that Racing Point would be better served by a Perez/Hulk lineup in 2021 than a Perez/Vettel or Stroll/Vettel.
Yes, but Stroll Senior then has to deal with a pouting spoilt brat foot stomping billionaires son who the team was bought for to give him a drive.... and as for the talk that Stroll did not buy the team for his son, but as a business investment my question is that on top of the near hundred mill the team cost to buy, it has actually lost a further $120 million plus in just trading losses in less than a year.

Admittedly some of those losses were to cover Force India debts and wages but they are a long long way from even getting close to breaking even, let alone return any meaningful profit.

And the talk of it being a business consortium is just a polite way of disguising the fact Stroll bought the team for Lance to get a drive.... the rest of the consortium own a very minor share of the business (Stroll himself owns 75% of the shares IIRC.)

As I have said before Stroll junior aint going anywhere. Regardless of what might be the strongest option for the team.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Lol, just seen that Lewis took off from the podium with the 1st place trophy (by mistake?) Not used to not winning :haha:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago and as for the talk that Stroll did not buy the team for his son, but as a business investment
Yeah... If it were, your first act wouldn't be to put your inexperienced son in the car!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Sort of interesting little graphic re racewinners through the years

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Interesting race, not a great one.

1. Verstappen - drove a great race and the team had good strategy. The critical element was when he was ordered to back off and conserve tires and he openly defied the pit instructions and pushed the Mercedes. Turns out he was right. The kid was impressive yesterday, but...not sure he could have won it if Mercedes did not have blistering tire problems.

2-3. Hamilton/Bottas - Tires blistered. Not sure why it was such a problem for them, but it opened the door for a Red Bull win. Not sure of the finishing order was due to luck or if the team favored Hamilton on pit stop strategy.

4. Leclerc - again, got everything he could out of that car. While I was impressed with him last season, I was not sold that he was really the next great driver. He is beginning to convince me, with consistently good race results in a poor car. I also watched him the virtual racing season.

5. Albon - looked good during the race after sucking in qualifying. Did a number of impressive outside passes. He is very "racy." The driver is better than his results. Red Bull seems to bring out the worst in their #2 drivers.

6. Stroll - not bad.

7. Hulkenberg - shame he had to pit towards the end of the race. I gather that was a legitimate need. Still point was made, Hulkenberg (and Perez) are real F1 drivers. Stroll, in his 4th year, really is not.

8. Ocon - Has had a poor and inconsistent start to the season. Still, good race. I was expecting him to regularly challenge Ricciardo. So far, he has not done that.

9. Norris - good as always. Beat his Ferrari-bound teammate.

10. Kvyat - on a good day, this is a good driver.

11. Gasly - Spent most of the weekend ahead of Ablon. Not sure what happened during the race to drop him back to 11th.

12. Vettel - "you know that you messed up."

Not a whole lot more to say about this race. Red Bull can win a race when Mercedes has a bad day. It does look like Ferrari, even with its problems, is solidifying its status as the third best team. Racing Point appears to be the 4th best team, unless it is crippled by protests.

Actually looking forward to Barcelona. This is a track they know well because of testing. Will be interesting to see how everyone matches up.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

I was hoping Seb was just needing a change.......I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Methinks it may be his time to "hang up the helmet" before he hurts himself (or/and someone else, of course).
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Vettel needs a team that delivers him a car he can handle. Not this piece of shit he has now. He hates loose cars, give him a car that has a stable rear. Every spin he had in the last couple of years are in slow corners when the car has to rely on mechanical grip at the rear. The only spin i can remember in a medium speed corner was at Monza last year.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

Grrip always comes down to mechanical (always the friction 'twixt rubber and tarmac).....and one knows where that is. That's why there's practice.

I'm afraid Seb's had enuff......the focus just ain't there. And I don't believe, anymore, it's just being fed up with Ferrari. It happens to everyone, sooner or later.....

'Scene from "Grand Prix"; Yves Montand and James Garner, "truer" than most of the movie:

Jean-Pierre Sarti: Pete, do you ever get tired, of the driving?

Pete Aron: No.

Jean-Pierre Sarti: Lately, I sometimes get very tired, you know? Very tired........

jimclark
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago Vettel needs a team that delivers him a car he can handle. Not this piece of shit he has now. He hates loose cars, give him a car that has a stable rear. Every spin he had in the last couple of years are in slow corners when the car has to rely on mechanical grip at the rear. The only spin i can remember in a medium speed corner was at Monza last year.
A bad driver always blames his car, especially considering his team mate has had 2 podiums and a 4th place this year, compared to Vettel's 6th and two 10th places.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago Vettel needs a team that delivers him a car he can handle. Not this piece of shit he has now. He hates loose cars, give him a car that has a stable rear. Every spin he had in the last couple of years are in slow corners when the car has to rely on mechanical grip at the rear. The only spin i can remember in a medium speed corner was at Monza last year.
A bad driver always blames his car, especially considering his team mate has had 2 podiums and a 4th place this year, compared to Vettel's 6th and two 10th places.
A top driver can work around problems with a car (but only to a certain extent, naturally).

Clearly CLAP is getting more out of it - whether that's because it suits him more, or he can work around it more, or both.

Either way, Vettel is underperforming. If he's a great driver and the car didn't suit him, he'd still be closer to CLAP regardless of how good CLAP is or how much it suits him.

And if CLAP didn't have his car problems last year, we would have totally wiped the floor of Vettel in 2019 as well. As it was, he still beat him in only his second year in F1. Sounds similar to what happened in 2014 with Ricciardo, eh?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago A bad driver always blames his car, especially considering his team mate has had 2 podiums and a 4th place this year, compared to Vettel's 6th and two 10th places.
A driver who feels that a team is not giving him a car he can work with, gets demotivated. And yes, this Leclerc is extraordinary good. In particular when he gets a car he can work with.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago A bad driver always blames his car, especially considering his team mate has had 2 podiums and a 4th place this year, compared to Vettel's 6th and two 10th places.
A driver who feels that a team is not giving him a car he can work with, gets demotivated. And yes, this Leclerc is extraordinary good. In particular when he gets a car he can work with.
Perhaps, but he has been under-performing and making mistakes for about 3 or 4 seasons now. He doesn't seem hungry enough and he is not really concentrating much on his driving, you can tell that by the way he has silly spins or crashes, e.g. like with Verstappen at Silverstone last year.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago ....you can tell that by the way he has silly spins or crashes, e.g. like with Verstappen at Silverstone last year.
or with Leclerc at Brazil, where he was on a different strategy to Leclerc who was on fresher tyres, was caught and passed by Leclerc and then immediately tried to DRS back past Leclerc, ending up with both out of the race

jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

"None so blind than as those that will not see....."

(Even I've come around on this one....and it's not like me to change horses.....)

jimclark