The NASCAR Flip List Project

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Welcome to the forum Mossler
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

Mossler wrote: 3 years ago From the regional series ranks, specifically the All-Pro/Southeastern division:

Darrell Brown at Birmingham International Raceway on 7/27/1991 during the Birmingham 250:

"Purvis took up the chase and eventually caught Porter on the 158th lap and held the lead until a pit stop following a spectacular crash involving local driver Dar-rell Brown, a former All Pro Racing track champion. Brown, who retired from racing two years ago to concentrate on his trucking company, hit the dirt embankment on the inside of the front straightaway and flipped end over end, but escaped unhurt."
-Montgomery Advertiser, 7/29/1991

Actually wound up serving two purposes while searching for info from that race today, as Brown could also serve as an addition to the "unnatural deaths" thread as he was killed in a forklift crash in 2012.
Welcome to the gang! Me and the flip list team really only focus on the top 3 series of NASCAR, but it's always great to get more information about the lower series, especially when the list is in its downtime.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well, my copy of "Silent Speedways of the Carolinas" came in today! It wasn't a bust thankfully, as I found one new turnover:
1966 - Clyde Lynn - Columbia II - Qualifying - "Flipped spectacularly in time trials"

The book also says:
Bub King "rolled" at North Wilkesboro in 1951 - The picture of the crash seems to show that he may have just half-flipped.
Johnny Patterson "overturned" at Spring Lake in 1953 - Fielden's book says he "spun and came to rest gently onto his side".
Fonty Flock "overturned" in Bobby Myers' fatal crash - I don't know what to say about this one. One picture does show the car on its side.

But of course, with the information we have right now, those will continue to be excluded.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
remfan477
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Alex Bowman
Favourite Circuit: North Wilkesboro

Post by remfan477 »

Ricky Rudd appears to have flipped during a practice session for the 1997 Bud @ The Glen, just five days after his big win at the Brickyard. It's said he lost his brakes going into turn 10, skated across the kitty litter and wound up plowing into and then going over the armco barrier

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/qhdpYn3x/ruddpossibleflip.jpg]Possible flip damage
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

remfan477 wrote: 3 years ago Ricky Rudd appears to have flipped during a practice session for the 1997 Bud @ The Glen, just five days after his big win at the Brickyard. It's said he lost his brakes going into turn 10, skated across the kitty litter and wound up plowing into and then going over the armco barrier

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/qhdpYn3x/ruddpossibleflip.jpg]Possible flip damage
Welcome to the forum!, This is one we will definitely look into, I can remember researching it about 2 years ago and never finding anything but maybe there's something now. Looks like I found an aftermath photo but it shows the rear of the car.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

remfan477 wrote: 3 years ago Ricky Rudd appears to have flipped during a practice session for the 1997 Bud @ The Glen, just five days after his big win at the Brickyard. It's said he lost his brakes going into turn 10, skated across the kitty litter and wound up plowing into and then going over the armco barrier
Welcome to the forums my guy! Today is a busy day for me so I’ll see what newspapers has to offer later on tonight.

Not often do we have a questionable flip that is fairly recent!
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Yeah...I've found nothing saying he straight-up flipped out. Personally, I believe he just tried his damnedest to knock the wall down with the rear-end going in first.
Last edited by Microsprinter18 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Mother Nature seems to be leading all four series to the green this weekend, what's the over/under that we might just see something a little bit spectacular this weekend?
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Those splitters absolutely destroyed the grass on the backstretch chicane yesterday, so much they had to repack it overnight, but it’s gonna be just as bad after the truck race.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago Those splitters absolutely destroyed the grass on the backstretch chicane yesterday, so much they had to repack it overnight, but it’s gonna be just as bad after the truck race.
Earl Bamber and Justin Haley found the landmines they put in the grass for the people trying to take the shortcut! :lol:
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

New cup flip!

Curtis Turner - 1958 Atlanta II Qualifying
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Isn't it something that the 50th Cup series flip at Daytona, which was Ryan Newman earlier this year, was one of the worst in a long time? If Daytona ever has a #100, hopefully it's a harmless Kyle Busch 2014 style tip over.

We've been lucky at the 2nd Daytona race ever since Austin Dillon's crash in 2015, hopefully next weekend we can continue that streak! I've always said this project is only for the sake of statistics and not to glorify accidents, 'cause that ain't cool. Someone putting it on the lid is one of the last things I'd wanna see on the track.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Cindric just about dunked it on the last lap there. I can't be the only one that noticed this wreck looked a lot like when the Joe Gibbs teammates jammed up at the 2017 Daytona 500 and Dale Jr. piled in and about went up on his door.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

New flip alert!!

Bill Snowden flipped at the 1951 cup race at Lakewood. Looks like he continued on though, as he finished P15.

This bumps the flip count for the 1951 season to an astonishing 42.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well it looks like my work schedule conveniently denies me viewing Saturday's Talladega races, so if someone decides they wanna crack up, the list will not be updated till Saturday night.
Last edited by Microsprinter18 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

CLOSE call for Kurt Busch with a physics-defying aerial pirouette!