2019 F1 Season Summary - Rate the season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate the 2019 F1 season

No votes
No votes
No votes
17%
42%
8%
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

2019 F1 Season Summary - Rate the season

Post by John »

Rate the season a whole above.

And also, let's rate the teams and drivers on the by now roentgen free 1-10 scale.

Here's a handy blueprint for a quick copy/paste-job:

Mercedes - Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton:
Valtterri Bottas:

Ferrari - Ferrari
Sebastian Vettel:
Charles Leclerc:

Red Bull - Honda
Max Verstappen:
Alexander Albon:

McLaren - Renault:
Carlos Sainz:
Lando Norris:

Renault - Renault:
Daniel Ricciardo:
Nico Hulkenberg:

Alfa Romeo - Ferrari:
Kimi Raikkönen:
Antonio Giovanazzi:

Racing Point - Mercedes:
Sergio Perez:
Lance Stroll

Toro Rosso - Honda:
Pierre Gasly:
Daniil Kvyat:

Haas - Ferrari:
Kevin Magnussen:
Romain Grosjean:

Williams - Mercedes:
George Russell:
Robert Kubica:
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I rated the season as a whole a 6. Plenty of good racing with a bunch of really, really good races. Would have been a seven if it wasn't for the fact that the championship battle wasn't pretty much decided by Spa.

Mercedes - Mercedes: 9. Won the double, and a 1-2 in the WDC. Didn't have that out-and-out one lap speed and were in shambles in Germany and looked somewhat uneasy when not commanding the races. Still, by far the best team in the paddock.
Lewis Hamilton: 5. Untouchable.
Valtterri Bottas: 3: The perfect wingman. Fast enough to grab a win here and there and disrupt Ferrari and Red Bull, but will never challenge Lewis.

Ferrari - Ferrari: 6. Sometimes a complete shit show, won a few races on merit but they're not fast enough and has to take shortcuts as a consequence.
Sebastian Vettel: 5. Will need to rebound next year. Wasted a win at Canada, and have a hard time handling CLAP.
Charles Leclerc: 7. Got into Seb's head and it's obvious he's the No. 1 in the team moving forward.

Red Bull - Honda: 7. Right where we expected them. Strong at the places where we expected them to be strong.
Max Verstappen: 8. Blindingly fast, but fell into his old ways of DNF-ing at times again. But flippin' awesome when it's his day.
Alexander Albon: 7. A splendid rookie season and the tricky Red Bull seems to suit him better than it did Gasly.

McLaren - Renault: Finally returning to form again. I hope they continue their march upwards.
Carlos Sainz: 9. My driver of the year. Really matured and had a great season.
Lando Norris: 8. Really impressed me. Did not expect him to be this good. Likeable chap too.

Renault - Renault: 5. No, this wasn't their year. DNQ's, and a peculiar, moody car which really only punched above it's weight at Monza.
Daniel Ricciardo: 6. A difficult car and an farly nondescript year.
Nico Hulkenberg: Solid but not really that fast. This year is a microcosm of his entire career.

Alfa Romeo - Ferrari: 4. Completely lost their way mid-season after a promising 2018.
Kimi Raikkönen: 5. Cashed in on a strong early season run where he completely destroyed his teammate. Faded towards the back half.
Antonio Giovanazzi: 5. Turned it around after the break and showed that he can perform in F1.

Racing Point - Mercedes:
6. Was okay. Not great, not terrible.
Sergio Perez: 6. Destroyed his teammate by a country mile. Which was expected though.
Lance Stroll: 4. 21 points to Perez' 52. Can't qualify for shit but has race craft.

Toro Rosso - Honda:
9. Really punched above their weight at times and got TWO podium finishes. Great season.
Pierre Gasly: 6. The touchy Red Bull was everything that he didn't want. It's a front end car and Gasly needs a strong rear end. Found his pace when back in the STR.
Daniil Kvyat: 5. A great podium the high point of a fairly dull season in the middle of the pack.

Haas - Ferrari: 3. What a disaster.
Kevin Magnussen: 3. Time to get out of F1.
Romain Grosjean: 3. Has the speed to be in F1 but doesn't have the mental game. Time to move on to greener pastures.

Williams - Mercedes:
1. Nothing else to add.
George Russell: 5. 21-0 in Q's against his teammate and a solid rookie season in an abysmal car.
Robert Kubica: 1. Sure he didn't get preferential treatment, but didn't show any signs that he deserved it either. Thank you, Goodbye.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

This season was a big disappointment. It clearly showed that this ultra technology doesn’t pay off for having enjoyable races. The tyres keep being a major issue too. Mercedes completed the sixth year of embarassing domination without fia trying to change the rules in order to ensure a certain competition. I have the suspect they pulled the foot from the accelerator in the second half of the season, just not to appear too much dominant.
Racing was poor because the the races have become a tyre saving issue. It’s the contrary of what f1 should be. And it’s many years it goes on. Despite some few exciting moments this season is not worth more than a 4
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Season was over in May. A 4 is what it gets.

Will get into more detail later on.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Mercedes - Mercedes: 9 - Pretty invincible
Lewis Hamilton: 9 - Class of the field throughout the year and few mistakes
Valtterri Bottas: 8 - Was always going to be the supporting act to Lewis, handled the year very well

Ferrari - Ferrari: 5 - Underwhelming following expectations built during pre-season testing. Produced too many awful strategic errors
Sebastian Vettel: 3 - Made too many mistakes, refuses to learn from each. Outclassed by his team mate and only won Singapore by default, whereas he was hard done by in Canada
Charles Leclerc: 8 - Fantastic from start to finish. Bahrain was heartbreaking. Kept his head up and was hard on himself when he made errors.

Red Bull - Honda: 7 - Decent effort with deserved wins.
Max Verstappen: 8 - Very exciting throughout the year. Each of his wins were exciting and well earned. Mexico was a shambles though
Alexander Albon: 7 - Solid, consistent and very promising rookie year. Deserves that Red Bull seat.

McLaren - Renault: 6 - Progress was positive and deserved. The Alonso/Boullier cloud has been lifted.
Carlos Sainz: 8 - Extremely good year for Carlos. Fast, consistent and deserving of 6th in the title standings.
Lando Norris: 7 - Great rookie season, still feel for him that he lost the 5th place finish at Spa.

Renault - Renault: 1 - Considering their resources Renault were the worst team in 2019 by far.
Daniel Ricciardo: 7 - Got what he could out of the equipment.
Nico Hulkenberg: 5 - Not that great regular, but not poor either. Just middling because of the subpar equipment. This isn't the Nico we've seen in either of the previous two Renault seasons.

Alfa Romeo - Ferrari: 6 - Fast but inconsistent, season trailed off.
Kimi Raikkönen: 7 - Very impressed with Kimi's 2019 season.
Antonio Giovanazzi: 6 - Took a while to warm up but hassled the points and Kimi on many occasion in the latter half of the season.

Racing Point - Mercedes: 5 - Half the team did well whereas the other half didn't. Once the midseason upgrade happened Checo used it very effectively
Sergio Perez: 7 - Always there or thereabouts, regular points scorer and dominated his team mate. The only thing missing from Checo's 2019 season was a podium.
Lance Stroll: 2 - This is a generous score. Probably the worst driver on the 2019 grid. Never did anything worthy of note.

Toro Rosso - Honda: 6 - Two richly deserved podiums and a good haul of points, was reasonably impressive.
Pierre Gasly: 3 - During his Red Bull stint. 7 - While back at STR, the change of environment seemed to help him a lot.
Daniil Kvyat: 5 - Did ok, that's about it. His Hockenheim podium was well deserved.

Haas - Ferrari: 2 - Never understood their car, both drivers typically sank like a stone in each race.
Kevin Magnussen: 3 - I don't dislike him but he's far too aggressive for his own good.
Romain Grosjean: 3 - Unlucky at times and deserved more points than he finished with.

Williams - Mercedes: 2 - Dire, from before pre-season to end. Single point was earned by circumstance.
George Russell: 7 - Some of his drives reminded me of Alonso wrestling the Minardi back in 2001. Hustled all he could and put his team mate in the shade while doing so.
Robert Kubica: 4 - Hamstrung by his equipment but thoroughly beaten by his team mate
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

caneparo wrote: 4 years ago This season was a big disappointment. It clearly showed that this ultra technology doesn’t pay off for having enjoyable races. The tyres keep being a major issue too. Mercedes completed the sixth year of embarassing domination without fia trying to change the rules in order to ensure a certain competition. I have the suspect they pulled the foot from the accelerator in the second half of the season, just not to appear too much dominant.
Racing was poor because the the races have become a tyre saving issue. It’s the contrary of what f1 should be. And it’s many years it goes on. Despite some few exciting moments this season is not worth more than a 4
Yes, I feel exactly the same way. There was really no competition for Mercedes this year and whenever they weren't winning, they were just managing the pace.

And, although I agree with everyone else that Ferrari absolutely messed up their own season with idiotic decisions and terrible driving from their number one driver, they wouldn't have finished any higher in the championship.

There were some great races this year, but from the championship point of view, I would also agree to a 4. It was obviously a Mercedes year from Day 1.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

This year did have some great races. It's hard to fathom how Bottas ended up second in the Championship, but Ferrari and Max slipped up too often inbetween the brilliance.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

So, with just 10 votes, the F1 2019 season gets an overall average score of 4.8/10

How does this actually add up? Well, the season average from all 21 races is actually higher at 5.39/10

The German GP was also voted the best race of the 2019 season, with Austria and Brazil joint 2nd and Great Britain down in 3rd. How does this add up compared to Rate the Race thread? Well, actually not too far off:

Top 6 Races
Germany - 9.14/10
Brazil - 8.63/10
Austria - 8.40/10
Italy - 8.00/10
Great Britain - 7.94/10
Bahrain - 7.93/10

The worst 3 races were as follows:

Bottom 3 Races
Azerbaijan - 3/10
Spain - 2/10
France - 1.44/10

And finally a quick look at the overall trends. Brazil got the most votes at 30, but overall the season average was around 15 and declined as the season progressed (aka when it became obvious Hamilton would win).

The European races in the middle of the season gave us by far the best racing. From Austria to Italy, the average was 7.66/10, well above the overall season average. I think if anything, it tells us we need more classic circuits rather than these awful Tilkedrome flyaway races. On the other hand, Paul Ricard and Barcelona have held many Grand Prix in the past and yet came bottom of the pile below Russia and Abu Dhabi.

Let's hope for a better 2020 season eh?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I can't go through each team/driver one by one because I really didn't focus on most of them, but the top 3 drivers of the year for me are Hamilton, Leclerc and Norris.

Bottom 3 drivers of the year, probably K Mag, Stroll and Kubica, although if we increased that to a Bottom 5 I'd throw in Vettel too. Most of the midfield drivers disappointed this year actually, there were very few standout performances.

The biggest disappointment of the year for me was Ricciardo, who has just dropped completely off the map thanks to his move to Renault.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago The biggest disappointment of the year for me was Ricciardo, who has just dropped completely off the map thanks to his move to Renault.
For what it's worth, his Baku effort surely has to go down in F1 crash history.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago The biggest disappointment of the year for me was Ricciardo, who has just dropped completely off the map thanks to his move to Renault.
That was straight out of the Safeway Car Park GP..... I can only imagine what Torpedo thought as Danny Ric reversed nonchalantly towards and into him.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago
It's hard to see out of those mirrors. Bit embarrassing, mind.

Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

I've gone with a 7 for the season, because as a viewer of racing we had some cracking races. However the championship was tied up early which does reduce it's overall standing as a great season. Hopefully we get more of the second half of '19 in '20.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve