2019 Aussie Supercars & Supports discussion | Season final @ Newcastle (22-24 Nov)

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Vassago wrote: 4 years ago So, nobody talks parity anymore after Triple 8 won all post-Bathurst races? Sounds about right.
Nah, Holden fans kept quiet on their sudden success..... they are too busy talking about cheaters over the DJRTP non race Bathurst engine that was found to have exeeded tolerances by less than the width of a hair.... on an engine that was rooted, having on the Supercars testbed (where it showed no power advantage) been found to be venting water (the original reason it was changed out after qualy for a new engine for the race.... an engine that was also subjected to post race examination and passed . Oh and the ruling on that was not made until a few weeks after Bathurst when it happened. They (DJRTP) got a hefty fine and ordered to start Sandown from rear of grid having qualified on pole.

DJRTP had apparently some 400 eligibility checks over the season, and failed just one (on the rooted non race engine) by a hairs width only on a couple of cylinders, they are labelled as cheaters, tainted championships, and has sparked a tirade of social media abuse from other competitors and mainly fans. Supercars ended up sending a letter to all teams telling them to settle down after Walkinshaw I think it was likened Scott/DJRTP to Lance Armstrong!

PLus of course the abuse of SC protocol at Bathurst where Fabian Coulthard held the field up as he tried to cool his engine ( :suspicious: ), allowing the leading Red Bull and Scotty to pit without others having to double stack. Yes he did overdo the accepted norm in that case, but he was excluded from the results for his sins, loss of several hundred team points, plus Coulthards race points,and the team fined $250,000 which sparked the "Penske buys Bathurst Trophy stories.

Just to clarify I am not a Ford or a Holden fan.... I support selected drivers from both the Holden and Ford side of the fence. :haha: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Stanaway quits Motor Racing

I see Stanaway has suddenly decided Motor Racing is not his thing and retired from the sport. He has certainly not risen to the top as he did in open wheelers in Europe, where he won races in GP3, GP2 & WEC. His injury mid year was a downer for him, as was his being dropped for a race for not attending a fan promo engagement he had for GRM. Bottom line is he did not make the grade in Supercars and upset many with his attitude and demeanour.
Maybe he has had medcal advice that his back injury, a legacy from an open wheeler shunt aggravated by another one this year, has sparked fears another will be potentially life changing? Maybe he just put it all in the too hard basket :dunno:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/11/24/st ... rt-career/

I personally wont miss him.... just something about him that grated with me. Maybe he needs to realise that evn the Queen, the Pope etc, have shit that stinks, and he is no different whatever he might think. :wink:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago
Vassago wrote: 4 years ago So, nobody talks parity anymore after Triple 8 won all post-Bathurst races? Sounds about right.
Nah, Holden fans kept quiet on their sudden success..... they are too busy talking about cheaters over the DJRTP non race Bathurst engine that was found to have exeeded tolerances by less than the width of a hair.... on an engine that was rooted, having on the Supercars testbed (where it showed no power advantage) been found to be venting water (the original reason it was changed out after qualy for a new engine for the race.... an engine that was also subjected to post race examination and passed . Oh and the ruling on that was not made until a few weeks after Bathurst when it happened. They (DJRTP) got a hefty fine and ordered to start Sandown from rear of grid having qualified on pole.

DJRTP had apparently some 400 eligibility checks over the season, and failed just one (on the rooted non race engine) by a hairs width only on a couple of cylinders,
Something I forgot to mention is that the engine that was changed mid Bathurst weekend when damage was discovered, but later failed eligibility checks when tested, had already been inspected and passed as legal several times at previous events, and had the necessary seals still intact.
I have also read that the water emission /water in the oil issue had resulted in camshaft bearings being damaged, a fault likely to alter valve lift, the area that the engine exceeded limitations by less than a hairswidth.

My thoughts... the season is over, what has happened has happened, sanctions were made, penalties have been applied, and it is long past time to move on.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I have also read that the water emission /water in the oil issue had resulted in camshaft bearings being damaged, a fault likely to alter valve lift, the area that the engine exceeded limitations by less than a hairswidth.

My thoughts... the season is over, what has happened has happened, sanctions were made, penalties have been applied, and it is long past time to move on.
I got the impression from the recent Ingall/Morris show that they shouldn't have exceeded the limit anyway given there's some leeway in the rule to account for failures/errors etc.

But anyway it wasn't a big infringement and I don't think they did anything wrong outside of that and the Coulthard SC incident, it certainly wasn't a "tainted championship" or whatever like some sore losers in the midpack have claimed.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 4 years ago

I got the impression from the recent Ingall/Morris show that they shouldn't have exceeded the limit anyway given there's some leeway in the rule to account for failures/errors etc.

But anyway it wasn't a big infringement and I don't think they did anything wrong outside of that and the Coulthard SC incident, it certainly wasn't a "tainted championship" or whatever like some sore losers in the midpack have claimed.
I agree totally with the leeway thing... im not sure if these are the exact figures for the limit but the variances are.... allowed is 1.70mm, leeway given to permit 1.710mm, actually found to be 1.710+the width of a hair.
Guilty? Yes. Degree of guilt - minimal. But, as the old adage says you are either pregnant or you are not. But they were found guilty and punished in accordance with rules. Matter closed.
Its not the first time any team in motor racing worldwide and stretched the limit (including every V8SC team) and im sure it wont be the last.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The worst kept secret has been revealed, Chaz Mostert is going to Walkinshaws in a multi-year deal.

Tim Slade won't be at BJR any longer and that third place finish on Sunday might have been his last as a full-time driver
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Hazelwood has been confirmed at BJR & Luke Youlden has decided to retire.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Le Broq confirmed to replace Mostert at Tickford. Glad he has a decent ride after the Tekno debacle. Supercheap have also confirmed they will continue to back the car. Bit of a return home for him having run with Tickford in Super 2 a while ago.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Tim Slade is replacing Premat as McLaughlin's co-driver for next year.

Brodie Kostecki is also going to be an Erebus co-driver (with Anton de Pasquale) next year now that Youlden has retired. Will Brown will be driving with Reynolds instead.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Garry Jacobson will be driving for MSR.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So just the WAU #2 seat (expected to be Super 2 winner Bryce Fullwood) and the Team Sydney 2nd seat if that ever materialises.
Oh and the MSR #2 seat which I think is said to be a split season driver set up as per the new rules. Last I heard was that might be split between the other (Kurt) Kostecki and Zane Goddard.

Glad to see both Kosteckis looking like getting some action this year.... I must confess to have been a bit anti them but their gutsy enduro campaign in trying situations has made me warm to them a bit. Yes they used family money to do it all but it seems they had to work hard for it rather than just buying 'turn-key rides as others have done.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Steve Richards has decided to retire so he wont be doing enduros any more.... someone pointed out on ten-tenths it will be the first time in over 40 years we wont have a Richards in the line up.

In fact I just checked and Jim ran every year from 1974 (in a Torana) to 2006, and Steve every year since 1995 to 2019 so it is 46 years of there being a Richards in the Bathurst lineup. Covers from Group C days, through Group A, Supertourers and V8 Supercars eras. In fact Jim has won the 1000 in a Torana, Commodore, BMW, and Volvo.... but never in a Ford. He had 5 goes in a Ford but DNFd in 3 with a 10th and a 5th being his only two Ford Bathurst finishes.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago Steve Richards has decided to retire so he wont be doing enduros any more.... someone pointed out on ten-tenths it will be the first time in over 40 years we wont have a Richards in the line up.

In fact I just checked and Jim ran every year from 1974 (in a Torana) to 2006, and Steve every year since 1995 to 2019 so it is 46 years of there being a Richards in the Bathurst lineup. Covers from Group C days, through Group A, Supertourers and V8 Supercars eras. In fact Jim has won the 1000 in a Torana, Commodore, BMW, and Volvo.... but never in a Ford. He had 5 goes in a Ford but DNFd in 3 with a 10th and a 5th being his only two Ford Bathurst finishes.
Make that Nissan, you pack of arseholes. :wink: Class win with the M3 but no overall wins with BMW. Still, a remarkably streak of history coming to an end.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cheeveer wrote: 4 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago Steve Richards has decided to retire so he wont be doing enduros any more.... someone pointed out on ten-tenths it will be the first time in over 40 years we wont have a Richards in the line up.

Make that Nissan, you pack of arseholes. :wink: Class win with the M3 but no overall wins with BMW. Still, a remarkably streak of history coming to an end.
Whoops brainfade. I looked it up before posting as well... and saw only the Brabham brothers had won in a 3 series BMW in the 2 litre days. Who could forget the Nissan Godzilla 'bunch of arseholes' win (plus another one)! Thanks for pointing it out. :smiley: :thumbsup:

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

this car deserved to have won, just for it's sheer beauty

***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Holden is unsurprisingly killing off the Commodore road car and indeed their sedan/hatchback line in general. They recently committed to supporting the series until the end of 2021 which is supposed to be the last year for the current regulations. Beyond that, who knows.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/12/10/co ... mid-axing/