On this day in Motor Racing's past

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

From what I can tell both Kenneth McAlpine and Leslie Marr are still alive, they are both older then Kavanagh. Paul Goldsmith is the oldest of the Indy 500 drivers still alive and the second oldest living NASCAR winner (behind Dick Passwater)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

theracer120 wrote: 4 years ago From what I can tell both Kenneth McAlpine and Leslie Marr are still alive, they are both older then Kavanagh. Paul Goldsmith is the oldest of the Indy 500 drivers still alive and the second oldest living NASCAR winner (behind Dick Passwater)
Thanks for that info.... yes I agree McAlpine is still listed as living, now aged 98. In fact he will be 99 in a couple of days time, 21st September!

Kenneth McAlpine
Nation: United Kingdom
Born the 21 september 1920 - Chobham - 98 years old
First Grand Prix:Britain 1952
Last Grand Prix:Britain 1955
Best result:13th
Best grid place:13th
7 Grands Prix
(3 British GP
3 1955 Aintree 32 Connaught Bs Alta L4 Dunlop 17 ab Oil line
2 1953 Silverstone 11 Connaught A Lea Francis L4 Dunlop 13 ab Water pipe
1 1952 Silverstone 3 Connaught A Lea Francis L4 Dunlop 17 16

2 Italian GPs (1952 and 1953)
Race
2 1953 Monza 24 Connaught A Lea Francis L4 Dunlop 18 nc
1 1952 Monza 28 Connaught A Lea Francis L4 Dunlop 22 ab Suspension

I German GP (His best result, 13th in 1953 driving his Lea Francis powered Connaught )

1 Dutch GP 1953... qualified 14th but had an engine failure in the race

He also took part in 22 non championship GPs

Leslie Marr.

Also still alive as @theracer120 pointed out. He is 97. Actually he is Sir Leslie Marr.

Marr was a professional artist who raced primarily for Connaught at national races in 1952 and 1953, and was successful in various events in 1954, such as the Glover Trophy, where he finished third.

2 grand Prix to his name, firstly the 1954 British GP at Silverstone where he finished 13thBritish Grand Prix, Aintree where he finished in thirteenth position.

In 1955, Marr was driving the Connaught model B for the British Grand Prix at Aintree. He retired with brake failure.

These are his only two Formula One appearances.He also did 22 non championship GPs.

He continued to race in other categories, including third place at the Lady Wigram Trophy in Christchurch New Zealand..

so our 4 oldest surviving F1 drivers are....

1. Kenneth McAlpine, 99 y.o in a couple of days (British)
2. Sir Leslie Marr 97 years old (British)
3. Ken Kavanagh, 95 years old (Australian)
4. Hermano da Silva Ramos 92 years old (will be 93 this year) (French Brazilian.)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

20th September 1970...

Saw the debut of the Tyrrell Formula 1 team at the Canadian Grand Prix at Mont Tremblant. Tyrrell of course had run and been involved in the Matra F1 project but they were entered not as Tyrrells, but as Matras.

Ken Tyrrell had also been involved in motor racing for many years prior in lower categories, both as driver and entrant. (John Surtees was first put in a racecaar by Tyrrell)

Of course the Tyrrell Team is the acorn from which evolved via BAR and Brawn to todays all conquering Mercedes team.

On the day before practice Stewart had tried to test the new Tyrrell car, with some modifications to the fuel system completed, but bad weather and an engine failure stopped him learning much. Consequently he spent most of the first official practice in his March, while the Tyrrell was having another engine installed.

The next day Stewart was not happy with the feel of the throttle pedal on the Tyrrell, the trouble being in the slide mechanism on the engine, so he jumped from the Tyrrell to the March and back again all afternoon. Having got the engine working right he roared off in the Tyrrell, only to have a rear-wheel centre-lock nut come loose, the safety-pin luckily keeping everything in place. The loose wheel nut problem was solved with the aid of a six-foot extension lever on the wheelnut spanner. :haha:

Saturday's final practice / qualy Stewart was away in a flash in the Tyrrell and it looked as though they had got it working properly, but the loose wheel-nut problem arose again, which caused owner Tyrrell and designer Derek Gardner to look very worried.

At the very end of practice suddenly the blue March was overdue and Stewart was seen running across the inside of the circuit. The March had broken a rear-wheel bearing and he had parked it by the roadside. Practice was nearly over, and without any fuss Cevert had got the second Tyrrell-March round in 1 min. 32.4 sec. to hold fourth fastest time. As practice was ending Stewart leapt into the Tyrrell, did a spectacular standing start in the pit area and roared away. The last lap of the day he did in a shattering 1 min. 31.5 sec. to snatch pole-position from Ickx, and as someone remarked "How professional can you get". After three days of practice Stewart held fastest lap with the Tyrrell and equal third fastest with the March, the difference in time between his two cars being four-tenths of a second. He then had to make the difficult decision on which car to use, and opted for the Tyrrell on the front row rather than the March on the second row, even though the Tyrrell had not done sufficient running to prove itself race-worthy.

So, Tyrrell / Stewart took the pole on debut.

When the Canadian flag fell Stewart shot into the lead, followed by Ickx, but Regazzoni made a poor start and Surtees and Rodriguez went round him
Stewart was pulling out such an enormous lead without really trying that it all seemed ridiculous and you wondered what everyone else was doing, so it was just a question of whether the Tyrrell/Cosworth/Hewland "assembly" could last for 90 laps. By ten laps it was all a bit of a follow-my-leader affair, with Ickx, Rodriguez and Cevert together, then a gap to Regazzoni and Amon, and another gap to Pescarolo leading Gethin, de Adamich, Hulme and Beltoise and obviously holding them all up, while Siffert, Brabham and Hill were following. Regazzoni began to get into his stride and close up on the trio in front of him, and Amon clung on grimly to the Ferrari and moved up with it. Hulme got tired of waiting fbr Gethin to overtake Pescarolo and quickly passed them both, but he had lost contact with the leading groups. It was clear that the Ferraris were handling better as their fuel load went down, for as Regazzoni closed up Ickx went further ahead of Rodriguez and Cevert, but he did not close up on the flying Stewart, who was so far ahead he seemed to be in a race of his own.

At twenty laps Stewart was out on his own, Ickx was safely in second place, Regazzoni had passed Cevert and was getting ready to pass Rodriguez, and Amon was with them all.

On lap 32 Stewart's impressive progress came to an unimpressive halt for the left front stub axle on the Tyrrell chassis broke off and that was that, the brake caliper luckily keeping everything in place, but even so Stewart was kept very busy bringing everything to a stop. He limped round to the pits to retire and watch the Ferraris of Ickx and Regazzoni settle down into a solid first and second triumphal tour, for though Amon was holding on to third place now he was losing touch with the second-place Ferrari. Behind Amon the young Cevert was driving splendidly and giving the New Zealander a bad time and no respite.

So not quite the dream debut.

Above is a precis of the full Canadian GP report of that year from Motorsport Magazine.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... gn=1114578

But Tyrrell of course went on to win races, titles and in doing so became a legendary team in their old timber yeard in Horsley ,Surrey.
In fact their first championship was in 1971, starting just a couple of races after their Canadian debut

They took part in 430 GPs over 29 seasons.
They used 5 different engine manufacturers over the years, most with the ubiqutous Ford Cosworth. The Cossie powered all of their 23 GP wins.

5 engine builders GP
Ford Cosworth 310
Yamaha 65
Renault 26
Ilmor 16
Honda 16

Tyrrell also had
14 pole positions
20 Fastest Laps
77 podiums
8 one-twos

Oh and 3 World Championships.... two driver and one constructors title.

They also brought us the only 6 wheeler to race in Formula 1.

As an aside that Canadian GP was the first race following the death of the soon to be posthumous champion Jochen Rindt.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Bruce on Denny: "She'll be right"

Our founder gives fascinating insight into the incomparable Denny Hulme

“His favourite expression ‘She’ll be right’ is pure Denis.” It was also the response often heard after a last-minute fix to the car before it went back out onto the track and invariably won the race.

Denny Hulme was known by his peers as a fearsome but popular competitor: strong and brave behind the wheel, shy and retiring away from it. He was a true gentleman racer and a key part of McLaren’s legacy in Formula 1 and Can-Am.

Here we delve into the archives to a profile of Denis ‘Denny’ Hulme, written by none other than his boss, fellow racer, New Zealander, and friend, Bruce McLaren. The article originally appeared in the November 25, 1967 edition of Motor magazine (at the princely sum of two shillings), and gives a fascinating insight into the man behind that steely, determined, and often stubborn exterior.

The World Champion I know

We were racing on the Ohakea airfield about 30 miles from nowhere in the North Island of New Zealand when I first heard of Denis Hulme. He was just some kid from Tauranga who was going to drive a 2-litre Cooper. He has only driven MGs before, and I can remember the mutterings that kids shouldn’t be allowed to drive these sort of cars. Denny has been playing havoc with the pundits ever since.

I’ve never asked him how he learned to drive, because I’m sure I know exactly how he started out. In time – a long time, I suppose – they will tar seal more than just the major roads in New Zealand, but until they do there will be a few dozen youngsters each year who learn to drive cars in conditions that will make them expert car handlers. These country roads have a layer of loose stones on top of a clay base, and even a fairly sedate family saloon gets quite lively on a twisting, narrow loose metal ‘shingle’ road. Not much of the countryside is flat in New Zealand, so any trip is liable to be a much bigger exercise than driving from London to Brighton, or from Los Angeles to San Francisco on the freeway. Motoring in New Zealand is still something of an adventure away from the main highways. There’s a chance that you’ll hold a bigger slide on your way to the beach than Jim Clark ever did while he was winning the British Grand Prix.

Denny must have made a good impression with his Coopers. The New Zealand Grand Prix Association’s ‘Driver to Europe’ scheme was in operations but they had one problem: young Hulme was doing very well for himself, but so was a lad from Whangarei, George Lawton, who also drove a 2-litre Cooper. They compromised wisely and sent them both abroad on the racing scholarship that had brought me to England a couple of years earlier. They arrived on the English scene in March, 1960, with Team Manager Feo Stanton, to go Formula 2 racing.

Feo’s job, apart from trying to keep them out of trouble, was to look after the cars, enter them in races, introduce the boys to race promoters, and generally show them off. They had only been in England a couple of days when they went to a cocktail party at the Savoy. There was just no way that two New Zealand country boys were going to have the poise and grace of a Lord Fauntleroy, but even allowing for that I wasn’t amused when a leading journalist – who shall be nameless – asked me: “Have your monkeys had their tails pulled yet?” I can think of a hundred replies now, but at the time I was stuck for an answer. I wonder if the scribe in question remembers the occasion in the light of one monkey’s future achievements? George was tragically killed when his Cooper flipped at the Danish Roskildering.

You would have to call Denny a relaxed sort of bloke. Big and strong, yes, but gentle and shy with it, and just a little suspicious of people. He likes getting the job done, whether putting a car together, making the fastest practice lap, or getting an interview over with. A clue that gives an insight into the Denny that doesn’t show is that he hates to waste a day; unless he accomplishes something he’s not happy. It’s a part of the drive that made him World Champion.

He has never been afraid of work, but he won’t overdo it if it’s not necessary. As I said before, he likes to get the job done – quickly. He did all the preparation on his own racing cars (before he was famous, that is!) and one thing he didn’t believe in then, and still doesn’t, goes under the heading of “Technical B.S.” and the people who purvey it. I could almost accuse him of being a bit crude, and I could get away with it because I’m a bit that way myself. His favourite expression “She’ll be right” is pure Denis.

He was putting his Formula Junior Cooper together in Surbiton once, and I mentioned to him that perhaps he should make proper brackets for the hoses. “Nah. I’ll tape 'em up. A bloke might want to take 'em off again. She’ll be right…”.

And a couple of years later at the Brabham factory Jack tells the story of the cars being prepared for Reims. Denny was working on the electrics of his Formula 2 car, and he had just twisted the wires together and taped them. Jack said: “You can’t do that! Put some proper connectors on it.” But “She’ll be right” won again. In the Formula 1 race one of Jack’s electrical connections came adrift when he was well placed, while I think Denny went on to win the Formula 2 race. Tape and all.

Denny Hulme has notched up a few records now, but there’s one that very few people know about. He has built a Formula 2 Cooper in record time. In 1960 they had pranged one of the cars and with a race the following weekend they set about building a new car. With Denny doing the welding and Feo and George cutting and filing the tubes they made a chassis in two and a half days! When I think of the complexities of current monocoque construction, those really were the good old days…

Denny is never too proud to lend a hand. On the Can-Am series we had only two working days between Bridgehampton and Mosport. The Bridgehampton track was particularly rough and the crew were going to need every bit of available time to check the two cars thoroughly. Denny’s car needed an engine change but he had a feeling (as he often does about some things) that either the heads or the manifold on his old engine were a bit special judging by the way it had run in the last two races. But to put those heads on the new engine required stripping, checking, re-lapping the valves and rebuilding. “I’ll grind the valves if that’s what you’re worried about. You get the engine apart and I’ll have them done while you’re talking about it!” He did too. It was an excellent job, even checking them with marking blue, and that engine won him the race. Everyone was happy. Denny had accomplished something that day, time was saved, and the job was done. I’ve tried to imagine a similar situation with, say, Ford’s racing operation – but it just couldn’t happen!

As a racing driver Denny becomes a slightly different person. He has always had a lot of natural ability and he doesn’t have to work at going fast. He picks up a new circuit very quickly. I think he has always had potential, and this is one of the rare times when Ken Tyrrell, the ace picker, was wrong. He didn’t think Denny would make it.

In the past two years, apart from getting better with every race and without hitting anything in the process, Denny has become more determined. He had a year when he couldn’t find anyone to give him a drive; he had to spend all his own money on his Cooper, and he worked in Jack Brabham’s garage servicing customer’s cars. Ken Tyrrell, to give him credit, has always said that a good hungry driver will beat a good fat one any day, so maybe this spell of ‘hard times’ was the best thing that could have happened to Denny. You wouldn’t call him brave, and you wouldn’t call him daring because he doesn’t do anything dangerous. He always has the situation under control. He can get very sideways on, but he takes one hand off the wheel, and with the other hand and brawny arm he can apply a bucketful of lock so fast that it would shock the front wheels right off some cars. He’s pretty hard on gear changes too!

He is a good man to have on a team from a mechanic’s point of view. He knows that he wants and how it should be done, because he’s done it all himself at some stage. He is easy on the car because he doesn’t wear it out with a lot of practice.

In the whole of the Can-Am series he has only ‘blown his cool’ once – at us, anyway. Minor officialdom, scrutineers and the few little jobsworths that you tend to come up against at motor races had better watch out for Denny, though. He objects strongly to red tape, or the wheels being pushed on his racing car by someone who probably doesn’t know anything about it.

Denny said he taught himself to go fast this year from the first lap on the track, due to the fact that at Indianapolis you have to qualify for the race in just four timed laps. It was in connection with this newly acquired ability that our ‘cool blowing’ incident occurred. At the start of the practice session at Bridgehampton he charged out, and it was three laps before the crew had got themselves sorted out, organised their tools and set up the original board. By the fourth lap he was back in the pits and taking his helmet off. “I’m wasting my bloody time! Why the hell weren’t you giving me lap times?” Now we give Mr Hulme signals every lap!

One thing has changed for Denny – there was a time when he had to chase people for a car to drive. Now they chase him.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/heritage ... uce-denny/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

*Looks for 'Thanks' button* :sorrow:

Thanks @erwin greven for sharing this interesting article. :thumbsup:
Denny was always a favourite of mine back in his F1 / Can-Am days. :bow:
I was very sad to be at Bathurst the day of his passing away, out on track doing what he loved.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

5th October.

On this day in 1969, Jochen Rindt took his first F1 race victory at Watkins Glen to win the United States Grand Prix from Piers Courage. Sadly both were to die before the next visit to the Glen 12 months later.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

5 years since Jules Bianchi's accident. RIP #JB17

6th October will mark 5 years since Andrea De Chesaris passed as well.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 4 years ago 5 years since Jules Bianchi's accident. RIP #JB17

6th October will mark 5 years since Andrea De Chesaris passed as well.
6th October also marks the day when Francois Cevert died in practice at Watkins Glen in 1973.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Francois Cevert, minutes before his last lap at Watkins Glen.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

RIP Greg Moore...

Good lord, 20 years...

Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

thought about that as well. Remember seeing it on the news. Brutal crash. RIP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

It seems like Greg Moore's death had a greater impact on American motorsport than anyone else's in the past 20+ years and I don't understand why.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago It seems like Greg Moore's death had a greater impact on American motorsport than anyone else's in the past 20+ years and I don't understand why.
He was at the time the youngest winner at the height of CART, in badass cars, who never had the best of cars/engines.

It's a natural 'what if' story. Having signed for Penske, who knows what would have happened.

He was also pretty much the most liked character on the circuit. A fun guy. People miss him.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

On this day in 1975 we lost Tony Brise and Graham Hill.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

On this day (Dec 1) in 1963 Wendell Scott became the first (and only so far) African American to win a NASCAR Cup race, as the times of those days however, he was originally denied the win, but NASCAR later gave it to him claiming there had been a “scoring error”.

https://www.racing-reference.info/race/ ... ille_200/W