Road car with Cosworth DFV?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Road car with Cosworth DFV?

Post by JBT »

Dragging up an old memory here - back probably 20 years ago when we first got Sky Digital, I recall seeing a general motorsport programme - if anyone remembers it, the title credits had a Dakar Rally Land Rover Defender, in the sand dunes, doing a huge jump towards camera and destroying itself as it landed. Part of the programme covered an event at Santa Pod drag strip. One of the entrants was a black 2-door Ford Cortina mk3, road registered, running a Cosworth DFV!

I've never found any mention of it since, nor any reference to any other kind of DFV powered road car / vehicle that someone has attempted (barring the Ford Supervan 2 - I think that had a DFL in it). Has anyone else ever head of one?
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Williams had a Renault van with a full house V10 Renault F1 and running gear fitted.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I tried to post a link of a youtube vid of it but Im using an Apple laptop and I have no idea how to drive it. Search YT for Renault Espace F1. Sounds great and looks pretty rad. Dont think it was road registered though.

Edit... im back home for a couple of hours and found this pic of the interior showing 4 seats in it.

Plus a couple of video links....

This is quite a good one..... SFW himself talks about it and gets strapped in and taken for a few laps of Ricard.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I found reference to a road car running a DFX, which IIRC is the Indycar adapted version of the DFV....
Having said it is a road car, and I saw mention it was 'roadworthy', the pic is from a for sale ad describing it as a race car

There was also the shortlived Alfa 164, built by Alfa for the then cancelled Procar series.... cancelled because of a lack of support from other manufacturers. It was powered by a V10 F1 Alfa engine and with a racing chassis and looked like a standard road car, with wider wheels. No flared arches or anything like that.

I read after a test session they drove it to the local pasta shop / supermarket. In fact it mentions it in the video. :smiley:

I know Patrese clocked 350kph (217 mph) on the Monza straight in the car. That is faster than the Senna driven McLaren MP4/4, which could only manage 309 kph (192 mph) at the same track. :haha:

JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

Thanks Everso, I had forgotten about the Espace F1 and the Alfa 164 Procar. Both look badass :)

If I remember right, there was some involvement from Brabham (or Brabham employees) in building the 164, as Fiat / Alfa had bought the team in '88 from Bernie, who's idea it was about the Procar series?

The road car with the DFX looks pure evil!!
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP