Gio and Gasly: Who's been the worst and who will get sacked first? UPDATE: GASLY IS TOAST!

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Poor giovi. He had a lot of technical issues and bad luck. He showed really good speed in qualifying. I hope that when he will find race pace the car will support him. The alfa showed worring lack of speed and involution.
Gasly is the driver who disappointed more than everyone. Not really for the results but for the huge gaps he gets from verstappen
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Gio redeemed himself of sorts by scoring his first point today and having a very solid weekend, while Gasly finished behind Norris and was the only driver from the big-3 to be lapped.

Will Gasly make it to Spa before he's replaced by Ragunathan? Can Red Bull afford to pass up on such a generational talent?
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Like i wrote before in the Austrian GP topic:
erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago VER 4th, GAS 9th...
At the start they went into T1 almost next to each other.
At the end Max lapped Gasly.. There was actually a moment that Gasly was in front of Max. How long it took to overtake Kimi... Kimi only needed his experience to keep in front of Gasly.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago Like i wrote before in the Austrian GP topic:
erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago VER 4th, GAS 9th...
At the start they went into T1 almost next to each other.
At the end Max lapped Gasly.. There was actually a moment that Gasly was in front of Max. How long it took to overtake Kimi... Kimi only needed his experience to keep in front of Gasly.
That's true. Gasly was pathetic today. It took him an eternity and a pitstop to get past the Alfas.
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

It's laughable to be lapped by your teammate. Not sure how often that's happened in F1 history, but I'd be surprised if it's more than a handful, especially under sunny skies and with no mechanical issues involved.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Johnny Dumfries came to mind and as it turns out he never finished on the same lap whenever Senna and he both finished a race in 1986.

The other good guess is whoever ran the second Brabham in Piquets glory days. The fact that I cant remember any of their names speaks for itself.
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Kai-Star »

Patrese was pretty good.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Kai-Star »

Just looked up Dave Walker, as I remembered he scored a mighty 0 points compared to Emmo's '72 Championship Season. Seems it was a good race when he was even 1 lap behind. Ahh the good old days.
Joann Villeneuve
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Michkov wrote: 4 years ago Johnny Dumfries came to mind and as it turns out he never finished on the same lap whenever Senna and he both finished a race in 1986.

The other good guess is whoever ran the second Brabham in Piquets glory days. The fact that I cant remember any of their names speaks for itself.
Patrese won races while he paired with piquet at brabham
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

It was the other guys in the Brabham no.2 seat, Hector Rebaque and Ricardo Zunino, who were miles off Piquet. Having said that, Rebaque picked up a few top sixes here and there, but was never a winning contender. I think both were chosen for their $$$ contribution, I'm guessing Rebaque brought Pemex sponsorship to Brabham, through the Mexican connection?
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Dumfries was Senna's patsy. Back in the day various top team drivers would get lapped by their team mate, but as has been pointed out by @caneparo with the Patrese example, those drivers would also win races.

This week Autosport.com quite appropriately pointed out that Gasly has turned a top 3 car into a regular midfield runner in 2019. He hasn't achieved anything better than a single 5th place so far and looks highly unlikely to match his best STR result from 2018.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Michkov wrote: 4 years ago Johnny Dumfries
That's John Colum Crichton-Stuart, 7th Marquess of Bute to you, Sir.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

It's time for Gasly to go. No doubt about it. Nothing special about him at all this season.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

kals wrote: 4 years ago Dumfries was Senna's patsy. Back in the day various top team drivers would get lapped by their team mate, but as has been pointed out by @caneparo with the Patrese example, those drivers would also win races.
Senna vetoed Derek Warwick as his 1986 teammate so there is that. Warwick only latched onto a Brabham ride after Elio de Angelis' death.

Back on topic, Giovinazzi seems to have picked some speed and can challenge Raikkonen even in qualifying while scoring some points here and there. Meanwhile Gasly is a hopeless case. Given how short is the Halmut Marko leash, he could be out of Red Bull after Hungary. Totally screwed up in Hockenheim. Vettel would be proud of that overtaking attempt on Albon.
Kai-Star wrote: 4 years ago Just looked up Dave Walker, as I remembered he scored a mighty 0 points compared to Emmo's '72 Championship Season. Seems it was a good race when he was even 1 lap behind. Ahh the good old days.
Dave Walker was the 1971 British F3 champion but he ended up as the worst WDC teammate in F1 history (only one to score 0 points). Chapman whiffed on him big time but at least he found a solid replacement (Ronnie Peterson).
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Yes, Gio have started to find his feet by every week. It took him a few races but he's getting there.

Gasly, on the other hand, is really in a bad place right now.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I thought given the track conditions Giovinazzi handled himself quite professionally. He tried to keep out of trouble as best he could even though I believe we've seen him go off at one point, but so did Kimi. Gasly on the other hand...