Remembering the fallen

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Historic racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312B
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx & all other old heroes
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife/ old Spa/ Schleiz

Post by Jacob »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The young German rider Dennis Lippert has died following a crash during the IDM Supersport 600 race at Oschersleben. He was 23.

http://idm.de/2019/06/11/idm-grosse-tra ... s-lippert/

Two photos I took of him during the Bördesprint 6h last year.

https://scontent-a-iad.cdninstagram.com ... NQ%3D%3D.2

Last edited by Jacob 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
"It´s not a matter of talent, it´s a matter of luck. Pure Luck:" - Jacky Ickx
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

RIP Dennis Lippert :rip:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

A rider was killed yesterday at Imatra Superbike race. Fell, went off the track and was seriously injured. Died in hospital.

That's all the info I have at the moment. No english language links exist yet, here's the YLE news in finnish: https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-10834257
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Mawerick wrote: 4 years ago A rider was killed yesterday at Imatra Superbike race. Fell, went off the track and was seriously injured. Died in hospital.

That's all the info I have at the moment. No english language links exist yet, here's the YLE news in finnish: https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-10834257
Official statement issued about 45min ago and found on Facebook
Imatranajo
48 Min ·
Statement issued on behalf of Motorclub Imatra and Finnish Motorcycle Federation
Yesterday June 15th, 2019 the Swiss rider Mathias Gnägi, 42, has deceased following an accident.
The incident occurred on the sixth lap of the IRRC Superbike race. The Gnägi lost control of his motorbike during the wet race, crashed and was driven off the track. The accident happened on a straight part of the track and no other riders were involved. The race was stopped immediately following the incident. An ambulance and a doctor were in place swiftly and Gnägi was immediately transferred to a nearby central hospital. Despite their best efforts, Gnägi died in the hospital.
The organizer of the event, Motorclub Imatra, and Finnish Motorcycle Federation offer their deepest condolences to the Mathias Gnägi’s family and friends.
The Finnish Motorcycle Federation has established an investigative board. The authorities were notified immediately after the incident and the police will conduct their own investigation on the incident.
On Sunday Imatranajo will continue as scheduled.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

He was actually 32, not 42. The original statement has been corrected.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Ducati rider Carlin Dunne has died after an accident during this year's Pikes Peak Hillclimb.

Four-time Pikes Peak Hillclimb motorbike class winner Carlin Dunne was killed in Sunday’s 97th edition of the race. He was 36.

Ducati rider Dunne lost control towards the flying finish of the fabled 12-mile, 156-turn hillclimb course.

He won the motorcycle element at Pikes Peak in 2011, ‘12, ‘13 and ‘18. Dunne had taken a multi-year break from the sport, before his return last year, to concentrate on a film making.

A joint statement from event organisers and Ducati North America read: “The collective hearts of the Colorado Springs community and the Board of Directors of The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, along with Ducati North America, share the grief and pain of Carlin Dunne’s family, friends and fans over his untimely death.

“Throughout the 97 years that this unique race has been conducted on America's Mountain, we have experienced the ultimate joy in victory, the disappointment of failure and now, the unexpected heartbreak of the loss of a competitor, whose love of the race brought him to Pikes Peak.

“We mourn the tragic death of Carlin and he will remain in our hearts forever as part of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb family. Carlin will be remembered as a warm hearted mentor with a competitive spirit. He was a gentle and thoughtful man who touched everyone who met him. We will always remember his contagious smile and genuine love for sport.”

Ducati North America CEO Jason Chinnock added: “There are no words to describe our shock and sadness. Carlin was part of our family and one of the most genuine and kind men we have ever known. His spirit for this event and love of motorcycling will be remembered forever as his passing leaves a hole in our hearts.”
https://www.motorsport.com/hillclimb/ne ... 37/?nrt=79
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Slovakian production 125cc racer Martin Prouza succumbed to injuries sustained in an incident during the Ostrava Radvanice Road Races last weekend.

RIP :rip:
Original Czech text at https://www.moto-cup.sk/road-racing/v-r ... in-prouza/

Please note that the translation doesn't seem to be too good but it is still possible to make out important bits
Google Translate wrote:In Radvanice lost his life Martin Prouza...
A very sad day today, not only are supporters of natural circuits. In Radvanice, during the race class 125 Sport Production came about the life of an excellent rider Martin Prouza...
Whenever individual racing events were approaching, I watched the organizers published the starting lists and in particular I was looking forward to the class 125 SP, which was always my favorite. The first quick check followed the familiar names that have been showing us unforgettable experiences in recent years. The Slovaks of Werner, the Rummy, the Czech, the Vecko, the winter, Fikker and Prouza... They just made races unique in Slovakia, i.e. in Kopčany, Piestany, and when we organized the race at the Trenčín Airport, I was happy to tell me exactly when these names were loaded in the registration panel... Unfortunately, this report is no longer met at the start of the race in this composition...
No one could have guessed that the cup for the third place after the Saturday race in Trenchina two weeks ago will be for Martina Prouzu last... The big warrior driving with the starting number 46, whose design has made it clear who is his model, today sacrificed his beloved race to the most valuable... Exactly in the same bend, where three years ago came about the life of an unforgettable Olin Hanák...
Martin was a great hope for the future of this sport, despite his youth had many excellent results on his account and a number of successful fights. The head of me now walks a lot of memories of his race, appearing to be getting new... It is what to remember, because the memories of his ride, beautiful memories, is a lot... Unable to forget, Martin will miss, but it remains all that beautiful, what his life in 25 years has done filled and this is the most important. Now it's hard to accept, I know, but despite my youth survived a beautiful and filled life. It can not tell everyone...
Yes, it hurts, and very... I think of Martin's parents, with the father we have not thrown a few words and together they kept the thumbs... I think of Martinovu girlfriend Sára... Please keep up! You had this privilege to live with a unique man! And this will never take you away!
Martin, goodbye in a better world!
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Japan's first and only Isle of Man TT winner, Mitsou Itoh has passed away aged 82.
Itoh won the 50cc TT for Suzuki in 1963.

May he rest in peace
:rip:

source: https://www-motorcyclenews-com.cdn.amp ... amp_js_v=0
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Today Les Williams passed away
Les was known for his involvement with the Slippery Sam Triumph Trident as well as the White Helmets.

Rest in peace, Les.

Source : Alex George, from Facebook
LES WILLIAMS.... I am sad to Confirm

We lost this understated FINE gentleman this morning.

It is with great sadness that we pass on the news that Les Williams passed away this morning (5th July 2019). He was best known for his involvement with Triumph Racing Triples and the White Helmets. A true gentleman who will be sadly missed.

Les worked at the Meriden factory in the 60's and 70's in the Experimental Department (Triumph's Race Shop). It was then, in 1970, that he became involved with creating the Slippery Sam race machine. By 1975, Triumph were in demise and the Triumph Race Shop was closed.

In 1976, Les Williams started the Triumph Spares company LP Williams, dealing in spare parts and performance upgrades. He also created replicas of the Slippery Sam race machine and the T160V based Legend.

Both myself and Dave Croxford were the team riders in Slippery Sams last win, the 10 lap TT. Thank You LES.

Our condolences to Family and Friends....... Alex :-(
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I used to love the Tridents back in the day.

RIP. Les Williams :rip:

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Northern Irish racer Darren Keys succumbed to injuries sustained in an incident during the race of the south in Walderstown, ROI yesterday morning

My sympathies are with Darrens Family and Friends.
RIP :rip:

Source: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/moto ... -1-8998101
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

RIP Darren Keys :rip:

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

And another fatality befell the Bemsee camp at Brands Hatch this weekend where Minitwin Rookie Dan Thomas got killed in race 9 of the weekend.

Rest in peace,
Dan :rip:

Source:
Dan Thomas - 1973-2019 - Rookie Minitwin

The Club regrets to confirm that we lost Dan Thomas, Rookie Minitwin Rider after he succumbed to injuries received during Race 9 on the Saturday programme.
The Club's thoughts are with Dan's close family & friends at this very difficult time.
We are grateful to the Medical Services and Marshal first responders & Officials who attended the incident.
Official news on this has been held until the Family have been fully informed - Lorne has asked us to post the following statement which can be found here

https://www.bemsee.net/info-centre/news ... -13th-july
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Andy wrote: 4 years ago And another fatality befell the Bemsee camp at Brands Hatch this weekend where Minitwin Rookie Dan Thomas got killed in race 9 of the weekend.

Rest in peace,
Dan :rip:

Source:
Dan Thomas - 1973-2019 - Rookie Minitwin

The Club regrets to confirm that we lost Dan Thomas, Rookie Minitwin Rider after he succumbed to injuries received during Race 9 on the Saturday programme.
The Club's thoughts are with Dan's close family & friends at this very difficult time.
We are grateful to the Medical Services and Marshal first responders & Officials who attended the incident.
Official news on this has been held until the Family have been fully informed - Lorne has asked us to post the following statement which can be found here

https://www.bemsee.net/info-centre/news ... -13th-july
RIP. It's been a while since someone was killed at Brands. Any idea what happened?

@Sedre @hollie3sa @Motorsportrace Were you aware?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

I hear about this accident, but I didn't find any details of crash.

RIP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago

RIP. It's been a while since someone was killed at Brands.
Other motorbike deaths at Brands in the last couple of years....

2018 Kyle O'Donovan BMCRC Powerbikes

2017 Fran Fletcher Classic 350cc Over 55s Championship

In 2013 was Karl-Heinz Kalbfell in the BMCRC Lansdowne Classic Series.

Several others earlier this millenium. In fact I seem to recall one in BSB or supports in recent years, but cant think who it was.