CANADIAN GP 2019

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Bottom post of the previous page:

John wrote: 4 years ago
Mawerick wrote: 4 years ago Vettel was not in control of the car when he came back on track. Based on this penalty, I'm fully expecting similar penalties will be delivered to drivers who come back to the track sideways or even upside down, missing an engine.
I would not, because that is a crash and a crash is a different thing all together. That is reductio ad absurdum.
I was being sarcastic.
Why wasn't everybody up in arms over this? Hell. Looking through the Japanese GP thread from last year the consensus seems to be that Max getting slapped with five seconds was warranted. Explain to me like I've gone through a lobotomy why there's a difference.
How can you even compare the incidents? Max was fully in control of his car, going rather slowly and just decided to drive back onto track the way he did. Vettel did what he did because he had no other choice.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

But FIA compared the incidents and that's enough. It's like the old saying from football, penalty kick is not what you see in the stands, it's what referee sees on the field :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Former world champion Nico Rosberg says Sebastian Vettel's penalty in the Canadian Grand Prix was "absolutely fully deserved".
While many fans think the FIA was wrong to punish Vettel for rejoining the track in an unsafe manner and forcing Lewis Hamilton off the circuit, Rosberg has an alternative view.

He believes that Vettel had enough opportunity to get back on the circuit without impeding Hamilton, after the Ferrari driver had run across the grass at the first chicane on lap 48.

Speaking on his YouTube channel, Rosberg said: "Vettel was screaming 'I had dirt on my tyres, I was out of control, where do you want me to go? I was struggling to control the car, and I couldn't see Lewis.'

"Okay great. But Lewis is there. The rule says when you go off the track, you need to rejoin safely. So Vettel went all the way across and I think he could have easily left a little bit more space, especially in the latter phase like after Lewis started braking. He could easily have left more space, but he didn't.

"He went right, right, all the way there and left hardly any space to Lewis. And so Lewis saw it as a dangerous situation because Vettel was coming more and more, so he had to back out of it.

"I looked at the replay many, many times. Lewis would have been in the wall had he stayed there because right afterwards Vettel continued to move over more and more and it was so tight that Lewis would have touched either Vettel or the wall.

"So it is very, very clear that unfortunately it was an unsafe return to the track. That is the rule. You have to return safely and that is the way it is. A penalty is deserved in that case."

Rosberg said he had spoken to his father Keke about the incident, and reckoned that even suggestions Vettel was not entirely at fault did not stand up.

"My father said to me, 'It's probably 60/40 – 60 penalty, 40 not.' I asked, 'why 40 not?' 'Well, because he was just out of control and he could not do better than that because he had dirt on his tyres and was coming from the grass and everything'.

"I said, 'Okay, fine I know that. But so what? You still have to return safely and if you are out of control then you are not returning safely.'

"So that is it. Penalty deserved. It is not a valid excuse: 'Oh I was out of control, I had dirty tyres and I couldn't see Lewis.' It is not a valid excuse unfortunately. So the penalty is full deserved. Absolutely full[y] deserved penalty."

Rosberg was also critical of the way that Vettel let the emotions of his anger at the penalty get the better of him both during the race and afterwards.

"Instead of complaining on the radio when a decision is made, which you know you cannot influence any more any way, he just keeps complaining and complaining rather than just focusing on the damn driving and trying to get those five seconds out, when he was already at 3.3 seconds," added the former Mercedes driver.

"Damn! Like just focus – and nail those laps. You have a chance there still to win this thing.

"That was a weakness again from Vettel. He has such strong self belief and always thinks that he is in the right, and then always wants to blame other people. And then he just loses focus in those moments, and doesn't make the most of it.

"That was not great to see from him. And then after the race, all those gestures and disrespectful comments calling the stewards 'blind' men and all that. It is just unnecessary. It is not very good."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

kals wrote: 4 years ago
"I said, 'Okay, fine I know that. But so what? You still have to return safely and if you are out of control then you are not returning safely.'
:wow:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Consistency is always going to be difficult, because there are so many factors to consider. Speed, control, intent, etc.

I've said it before: if we want consistency, we need to do away with driver penalties completely. Not 'except for when..', no, completely. Good idea? I don't know. But you'd get consistency. And the only incentive a driver would have to drive sensibly would be safety and reputation, which should be enough.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Nico Rosberg, rival to only Jaques Villeneuve for most undeserving Champion, goes against the opinion of every other motorsport name i've seen on Twitter, from Button and Andretti to the Wurz and to the Coronels and Van Der Garde's of this world.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

:twothumbs: Image :twothumbs:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

DoubleFart wrote: 4 years ago Nico Rosberg, rival to only Jaques Villeneuve for most undeserving Champion, goes against the opinion of every other motorsport name i've seen on Twitter, from Button and Andretti to the Wurz and to the Coronels and Van Der Garde's of this world.
Rosberg's justification is that Vettel was out of control when he forced Hamilton wide. It's something Rosberg is uniquely aware of as he himself was always in complete control of his car when forcing Lewis and other rivals off the circuit.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

DoubleFart wrote: 4 years ago Nico Rosberg, rival to only Jaques Villeneuve for most undeserving Champion, goes against the opinion of every other motorsport name i've seen on Twitter, from Button and Andretti to the Wurz and to the Coronels and Van Der Garde's of this world.
Rosberg's justification is that Vettel was out of control when he forced Hamilton wide. It's something Rosberg is uniquely aware of as he himself was always in complete control of his car when forcing Lewis and other rivals off the circuit.
:agreepost:

The irony was so thick I left a funny taste in my mouth just from reading his comments.

I think the penalty was consistent with others handed out. But I don't like these rules/penalties because they seem subjective. There may be objective evidence, but it's not transparent to the fans.

One thing I've had a chance to think about is whether Vettel applying throttle during his grass-capade led to him coming back on out of control. Had he let off a bit more, he would have had the car under control during his return to the circuit.

However, it sure seems like he was looking in the mirror the entire time he was drifting to the right (as if to check the position of the driver behind). My gut is telling me there is more to this story.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Mawerick wrote: 4 years ago
Mawerick wrote: 4 years ago Vettel was not in control of the car when he came back on track. Based on this penalty, I'm fully expecting similar penalties will be delivered to drivers who come back to the track sideways or even upside down, missing an engine.
I would not, because that is a crash and a crash is a different thing all together. That is reductio ad absurdum.
I was being sarcastic.
Why wasn't everybody up in arms over this? Hell. Looking through the Japanese GP thread from last year the consensus seems to be that Max getting slapped with five seconds was warranted. Explain to me like I've gone through a lobotomy why there's a difference.
How can you even compare the incidents? Max was fully in control of his car, going rather slowly and just decided to drive back onto track the way he did. Vettel did what he did because he had no other choice.
Kimi was also completely alongside, not just front wheel to rear wheel.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago The countless times drivers cut the track, retained their position, and it was judged to be A-Okay, makes this decision bullshit.
6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. Every situation is different and no situation is the same.

Debate is what is going to happen whether we agree with the decision or not. While I don't believe the incident was penalty worthy, I can understand and appreciate why it was handed out. And at the same time, considering the sheer number of incidents that Vettel has not be penalised for over the years this does appear to be some form of karmic retribution.

Being brutally honest this is a fascinating situation. It's a great talking point. It's creating interest and engagement amongst F1 fans. There has been a catalog of (what we feel are) bad decisions over the years so this is not a unique incident. It's perfectly fine for us to agree to disgaree and it's perfectly fine for people to be unhappy with what transpired. Soon enough this incident will just become another metric is questionable stewarding decisions and we'll be debating the next incident.
Frankly, this is a far less egregious incident than something like that year when Schumacher deliberately straight-lined a chicane two or three times at Hungary I think every time someone (in a McLaren?) tried passing him. Or doing the same at the final corner at Canada a few times, all without penalty.

At least this was a genuine mistake, as much as I dislike both Vettel and Ham (and this is in no way Hamilton's fault - if I were driving, I'd have a whinge and get on the radio that moment as well). Schumacher was just a prick's prick.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I must admit I did snigger when Seb changed the position of the 1,2,3 numbers of the cars beneath the podium, putting the #1 in front of where his car should have been. A typical Vettel hissy fit, but amusing none the less.
No doubt he will get fined for that. Cant have emotions in F1 nowadays! :wink:

For those that might have missed it....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Final comment re the penalty.... amusing hypocritical statement from Lewis on the podium, stating "All I can say is, I didn't make the decision."

True, he did not make the decision, but he did immediately ask the team on the radio to get the incident highlighted to the stewards for a potential penalty though. :roll:

Maybe Lewis has a short memory.... in this Monaco 2016 incident no penalty was given.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago
Mawerick wrote: 4 years ago
I was being sarcastic.
Kimi was also completely alongside, not just front wheel to rear wheel.
Just to contribute to this. Max did his best to stay on the track despite already being on that green stuff (whatever it is). Most other drivers would accept they missed the corner and would have gone straight on. Max tried to follow the contours of the track (maybe so he wasn't judged to have cut the corner) but Kimi had decided to go around him. So it's Kimi's own fault he got squeezed.

I probably said it then and I will say it again now. Max DID NOT deserve the penalty. If Kimi hadn't put his nose in there Max would have been unpunished.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

This is racing though, when you see a driver in front of you make such a big mistake of course you want to pounce on it esp. in the era where overtaking is so difficult. You can't expect Kimi to slam on the brakes and kindly allow Verstappen to recover his spot :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Vassago wrote: 4 years ago This is racing though, when you see a driver in front of you make such a big mistake of course you want to pounce on it esp. in the era where overtaking is so difficult. You can't expect Kimi to slam on the brakes and kindly allow Verstappen to recover his spot :tongue:
Exactly, but as I say, if Kimi WASN'T going for that gap then Max would have been fine.

Here are the steward's words for Verstappen:
The Stewards reviewed the video evidence, and determined that car 33 locked up his brakes and left the track at turn 16, cut the chicane and rejoined track on the racing line in turn 17 and in the process collided with car 7
He didn't collide with Raikkonen because he rejoined unsafely. He collided with Raikkonen because Raikkonen put his car in harm's way.

Similarly, the explanation for Vettel at Montreal:
The stewards reviewed video evidence and determined that Car 5,left the track at turn 3, rejoined the track at turn 4 in an unsafe manner and forced car 44 off track. Car 44 had to take evasive action to avoid a collision.
Again, similarly, Hamilton took the risk and put his car in harm's way. Imagine if Vettel had rejoined the track sideways and out of control? They would have both collided and we would all be saying Hamilton should have slowed down and been more cautious rather than trying to force his way past.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records