Zandvoort to replace Barcelona from 2020

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Deal to be announced today: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/horn ... e/4387558/
Red Bull boss Christian Horner says the return of the Dutch Grand Prix to the Formula 1 calendar will be "immense", ahead of an expected announcement on Tuesday.

Following months of discussions between F1 chiefs and the Zandvoort circuit, it is understood that a deal to bring the Dutch event back to the calendar has been concluded.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Yep, deal has been announced. The F*RMULA 1 channel has announced that F1 will be returning to Zandfoort :roll:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

So this will be like Vietnam, an additional race. I understand the 'Max fever' reasons, but beyond that.....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Yep. Looks promising.

Plus they're shitting all over their own rules regarding minimum track width etc. Formula One's choice of tracks is merely a charade, dominated by politics and politics.

Still, I'd be happy to see Bore-celona cut out from the calendar.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

hollie3sa wrote: 4 years ago

Yep. Looks promising.

Plus they're shitting all over their own rules regarding minimum track width etc. Formula One's choice of tracks is merely a charade, dominated by politics and politics.

As the comments say, they post a video of the circuit guide and then talk about one corner. It's basically Monaco without the armco.

hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
hollie3sa wrote: 4 years ago

Yep. Looks promising.

As the comments say, they post a video of the circuit guide and then talk about one corner. It's basically Monaco without the armco.
Well, they also mentioned the 3 (three!) straights! :rockedover:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

And the drivers are already commenting on the difficulty to overtake there.
As an aside I was surprised to realise it is 35 years since Zandvoort last ran an F1 GP.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Rose tinted specs time... in the past, the F1 calendar was comprised of races of various types of tracks which presented different challenges. There were the horsepower circuits, like Monza, Silverstone and Osterreichring, then there were the street tracks, like Monaco, Detroit / Phoenix and Adelaide, there were the mickey-mouse courses, like Hungaroring.... nowadays most circuits are cut and paste templates used by Tilke's organisation and are nothing but technical which feature "designed" overtaking places. Some of those tracks are good, most are not. All are soulless.

I know Zandvoort is not what it was 30+ years ago and the current configuration is around 20 years old, yet it represents something different to the norm in F1. I'll take that, even though we know we'll get a dull follow the leader race.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

In all the "hype" videos Max is driving a V8 spec RedBull and still can't get to top gear anywhere except the main straight. The track is way too small and the race there will be a complete parade behind a leader that no-one can overtake. Even qualifying will be a mess!

Maybe they can get Jarno Trulli out of retirement while they are at it? Sounds like the perfect place for him to hold up about 12 or 16 cars.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

XcraigX wrote: 4 years ago In all the "hype" videos Max is driving a V8 spec RedBull and still can't get to top gear anywhere except the main straight. The track is way too small and the race there will be a complete parade behind a leader that no-one can overtake. Even qualifying will be a mess!

Maybe they can get Jarno Trulli out of retirement while they are at it? Sounds like the perfect place for him to hold up about 12 or 16 cars.
Reminds me of when F1 went back to Kyalami on the revised circuit in 1992. Only in qualifying did some of the cars get into 6th gear.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

"Replace"? Really?

I'm glad Zandvoort is back. Challenging tracks > tracks that are built to making overtaking easy. If a track is actually challenging to the drivers, the racing will be good.

With that said, it will probably be slaughtered.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

kals wrote: 4 years ago Rose tinted specs time... in the past, the F1 calendar was comprised of races of various types of tracks which presented different challenges. There were the horsepower circuits, like Monza, Silverstone and Osterreichring, then there were the street tracks, like Monaco, Detroit / Phoenix and Adelaide, there were the mickey-mouse courses, like Hungaroring.... nowadays most circuits are cut and paste templates used by Tilke's organisation and are nothing but technical which feature "designed" overtaking places. Some of those tracks are good, most are not. All are soulless.

I know Zandvoort is not what it was 30+ years ago and the current configuration is around 20 years old, yet it represents something different to the norm in F1. I'll take that, even though we know we'll get a dull follow the leader race.
This x1000. Variety is good, not just for the variety but also for competition. It's much easier for one team to dominate every race if each race takes place at an almost identical venue.

That's why I like Baku and Singapore. They may not be classics but they have their own character and are different from the rest of the calendar. Sochi, Shanghai, Bahrain, Yas Marina, new Hockenheim, all lack character and variety.. I wouldn't miss any of them.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Zandvoort had only one overtaking spot even with the old circuit. This should similar to Hungaroring. But on the other hand it beats the Tilkedromes even in its mutilated form and the walls are close so that's nice.
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

Some good points made here.

It's funny how we had two Spainish GPs for a few years there when Alonso was in his pomp, yet now there will seemingly be zero. A Verstappen on the rise and the Dutch GP is back! I'm all for it and even though F1 has seemingly outgrown the circuit, so too was Paul Ricard and yet we had quite an entertaining race.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Prefer to see one shit race replaced by a different shit race.

It's still shit, but the texture is slightly different, to hopefully help it go down easier.

That said, by 2021, we'll all be crying. That's when Detroit can come back.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago
That said, by 2021, we'll all be crying. That's when Detroit can come back.
:jaw:

that would be insane!