Charlie Whiting RIP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Oliver Dale
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One + BTCC
Favourite Racing Car: FW14B
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Charlie Whiting RIP

Post by Oliver Dale »

Andrew Bensen is reporting on his Twitter feed that F1 Race Director Charlie Whiting has died. :(
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

You're kidding!?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I've just read this as well. Dear me. An embolism apparently.

Is it wrong to associate this with long flights?

What a dire way to start the season :omg: RIP
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Very sad and sudden. RIP Charlie
Formula 1 race director Charlie Whiting has passed away aged 66.

A statement from the FIA announced that the Brition died from a pulmonary embolism in Melbourne, on the eve of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix weekend.

Whiting had been present in the Albert Park paddock on Wednesday.

FIA president Jean Todt said: "It is with immense sadness that I learned of Charlie's passing. Charlie Whiting was a great race director, a central and inimitable figure in Formula 1 who embodied the ethics and spirit of this fantastic sport.

"Formula 1 has lost a faithful friend and a charismatic ambassador in Charlie.

"All my thoughts, those of the FIA and entire motor sport community go out to his family, friends, and all Formula 1 lovers."

Whiting first worked in Formula 1 for Hesketh Racing in 1977, but became best known working his way through the ranks at Brabham to become its chief mechanic.

He played a key role in helping Nelson Piquet to the world drivers' championship in 1981 and 1983 and would stay at the team until it was sold by then owner Bernie Ecclestone in 1988.

He moved to a position as FIA technical delegate, with the blessing of Ecclestone, and then became FIA director and safety delegate from 1997.

His role included overseeing track and car safety, technical and procedural matters on grand prix weekends plus starting the race itself.

Whiting was instrumental in pushing for improved safety standards in F1, and was a driving force behind the introduction of the halo at the start of last year, which was credited with saving the life of Charles Leclerc after his crash at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Speaking last year, Whiting said that a number of technical advances had contributed to making F1 so safe and allowing Leclerc to walk away.

"I agree about the introduction of the halo and that played a part, but you must not forget over the years all the far less visible things that have been done to improve safety of the survival cell, side impact structures, frontal impact structures, strengthen the survival cell itself, high cockpit sides, the headrest," he said.

"All of those things have been done gradually over the years and they also play a part in the outcome."

It is not yet known how the FIA will replace Whiting for the Australian GP weekend.

Whiting's race director role meant he was the lead official and in charge of everything rules related, from safety requirements and rule interpretation to the management of practice, qualifying and the race.
Oliver Dale
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One + BTCC
Favourite Racing Car: FW14B
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Oliver Dale »

I keep wanting to think this is an awful nightmare (it is two in the morning here in the UK after all!) and that I'm going to wake up and fibd our Charlie back on the starter's perch where he belongs but alas....
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Yes confirmed he was found dead in his hotel room.
Tributes from across the motorsport world have flowed in for Formula 1 Race Director Charlie Whiting, who died unexpectedly in Melbourne a day before the 2019 season commenced.

Whiting had been F1’s Race Director since 1997, having joined the sport’s governing body in the late 1980s.

That followed stints at Hesketh and then Brabham, the latter with which he oversaw championship wins in 1981 and 1983 with Nelson Piquet.

The Englishman played a key role in the sport, and was instrumental in formulating the sport’s technical regulations.

“I have known Charlie for all of my racing life. We worked as mechanics together, became friends and spent so much time together at race tracks across the world,” said Formula 1’s Managing Director of Motorsport, Ross Brawn.

“I was filled with immense sadness when I heard the tragic news. I’m devastated.

“It is a great loss not only for me personally but also the entire Formula 1 family, the FIA and motorsport as a whole. All our thoughts go out to his family.”

Brawn was just one of those sharing messages of condolence following Whiting’s death, with the F1 paddock and others across the motorsport community taking to social media to express their loss.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/03/14/tr ... e-whiting/

Statement from Renault

Renault Sport Racing was shocked and saddened to hear of the sudden passing of Charlie Whiting. Charlie was one of the pillars and leaders of the sport. His drive to ensure exciting, safe and fair racing was unparalleled and his passion will be sorely missed. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time. The sport will unite to continue his legacy, not just this weekend, but well into the future.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

FIA Statement:

FIA Director of Formula One, Charlie Whiting, has sadly passed away this morning (14 March 2019), in Melbourne, aged 66, as the result of a pulmonary embolism, three days before the Australian Grand Prix which will open the F1 season. He began his F1 career in 1977 working at the Hesketh team, then in the 1980s at Brabham. He has been an integral part of the organisation of the FIA Formula One World Championship since he joined the Federation in 1988, and has been the Race Director since 1997.

FIA President Jean Todt said: “It is with immense sadness that I learned of Charlie’s sudden passing. I have known Charlie Whiting for many years and he has been a great Race Director, a central and inimitable figure in Formula One who embodied the ethics and spirit of this fantastic sport. Formula 1 has lost a faithful friend and a charismatic ambassador in Charlie. All my thoughts, those of the FIA and entire motor sport community go out to his family, friends, and all Formula One lovers.”

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-statement-charlie-whiting

Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Subaru Forester

Post by Kai-Star »

Sad and very big news. It's only a day before the season starts so you would hope there's a backup plan?
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

flabbergasted. Such a sad news.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

That really came out of the blue. RIP.
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Was certainly surprising, although for some reason I thought him older than 66? Anyway, may he now wave the flags for Clark, Senna, Fangio etc.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Wow, that's shocking and sad. RIP Charlie.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Wow, shocking. RIP Charlie.

66 is no age to go pass away.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I thought he was older than 66 too. God he was still young to die like that. Hope he gets the tribute he deserves. :(
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Im sure he will get a one minute silence in tribute pre race.