Hill - the deserved 1994 champion

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Andy wrote: 5 years agoThirdly, one point that usually gets slagged off but still stands, and shows up bigger than ever these days.
While Germans have a lot of compassion for the English and their history it is not like that on the other side of the channel towards Germans and their history. You have the odd ones out, undeniably but that's that. Odd ones out.

Eversince Germany had overtaken England economically past WW2, the English had a rather jealous look over the channel to the country they still held occupied in parts. This was paired, at least in the days prior to Schumachers '94 title, with some missing knowledge about the not too far away times of the Nazi regime here in Germany. I had been over in 1992 as an exchange pupil and we were received with a raised right arm and a 'Sieg Heil' by pupils of the school we went to. Back then they didn't know much more than there was a certain Mr. Hitler who reigned over Germany and was allied with Italy. And more importantly, that they won the second world war over him. This is all stuff, which had been used by the British far right along with other topics to spread their lies and win the Brexit-referendum, just a tad over 20 years past the Schmumichels '94 title.

The Schmumichels move on Hill remains a thorn in the English butt. In a year when Senna probably would have won the the title but died unfortunately, an Englishman took over in the English car the now dead ex-champion drove. And many would have loved seeing the English driver bringing home the title in the very English car, Senna lost his life in. In Sennas memory.
Now this isn't exclusively English but a theme that probably goes on in every sport and sports nation and has been taken to the extreme when Michael Dunlop won the 250cc race at the 2008 Northwest 200, 2 days past his father Roberts' death at the circuit in the same class Robert had entered.

Schmumichels blunt attempt on Hill brought out a lot of the old prejudices between England and Germany, whether conciously or unconciously. The evil (Italian-German) axis against the still occupying British. Dirty tricks against the self acclaimed fair play.
If it had been anyone else who had wrecked Hill's title chance the outcry would not have been as loud as it became. But as it turned out old themes were fed very well.

I'm sorry if any of my English as well as British mates are feeling hurt after reading above, especially the third paragraph. But there's more to it than the Schmumichels dirty trick and why it ain't received that well, even if it gets discarded.

Sorry, but I think considering this an issue of national pride, or a Germany v. Britain issue, is way off the mark. Much of Schumacher's career is clouded by accusations of cheating and 1994 was the peak of this. The car allegedly ran TC illegally all year, he overtook Hill on the warm-up lap at Silverstone and blatantly ignored the black disqualification flags, at Belgium he was disqualified for having an illegal car and received a two race ban and finally, he finished his season off by purposely driving into his main rival at the championship decider after breaking his car on a concrete wall. What a way to taint your own championship season.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years agoSorry, but I think considering this an issue of national pride, or a Germany v. Britain issue, is way off the mark. Much of Schumacher's career is clouded by accusations of cheating and 1994 was the peak of this. The car allegedly ran TC illegally all year, he overtook Hill on the warm-up lap at Silverstone and blatantly ignored the black disqualification flags, at Belgium he was disqualified for having an illegal car and received a two race ban and finally, he finished his season off by purposely driving into his main rival at the championship decider after breaking his car on a concrete wall. What a way to taint your own championship season.
While this is all true, so is what @Andy talks of. Having lived through that period and attended various GPs through the 90s and other motorsport events, it is true that Schumacher's emergence (as a competitive German in F1) and his competition against Hill did create and perpetuate a war time-style narrative (and constant references to Nazis) at races, in the media, etc...This lasted for many years. For instance, one of Schumi's nicknames was "The Red Baron" in reference to a WW1 German fighter pilot.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Mosley didn't help.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 years ago Mosley didn't help.

Yeah but if I remember rightly, he was having that beaten out of him. Right?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

kals wrote: 5 years ago Having lived through that period and attended various GPs through the 90s and other motorsport events, it is true that Schumacher's emergence (as a competitive German in F1) and his competition against Hill did create and perpetuate a war time-style narrative (and constant references to Nazis) at races, in the media, etc...
The references to Nazi's and Hitler are not limited to being pointed to Schumacher alone. And that is why i thought the Germans were a bit used to it. Even when it is really silly after 70-75 years.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

In the new book on 1994, the author claims Senna and Williams mistakenly took Schumacher and Benetton for having traction control. The idea of Senna formed largely through a weird sound, but the author claims this had to do with a unique style in Schumachers's driving: left foot braking while not releasing the throttle completely.

Anyway, Schumacher not being champion in 1994 would have been a farce: he was miles ahead, and even after unrightful disqualifications and exclusions, Hill couldn't beat Schumacher.

There was no protest lodged against Schumacher's chop, because honestly, for Williams the end of the season couldn't come soon enough. The driver they wanted to be champion was killed, and they didn't care too much for Hill.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years agoAnyway, Schumacher not being champion in 1994 would have been a farce: he was miles ahead, and even after unrightful disqualifications and exclusions, Hill couldn't beat Schumacher.
Which disqualifications were unrightful?

What happened at Japan 1994?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago In the new book on 1994, the author claims Senna and Williams mistakenly took Schumacher and Benetton for having traction control. The idea of Senna formed largely through a weird sound, but the author claims this had to do with a unique style in Schumachers's driving: left foot braking while not releasing the throttle completely.

Anyway, Schumacher not being champion in 1994 would have been a farce: he was miles ahead, and even after unrightful disqualifications and exclusions, Hill couldn't beat Schumacher.

There was no protest lodged against Schumacher's chop, because honestly, for Williams the end of the season couldn't come soon enough. The driver they wanted to be champion was killed, and they didn't care too much for Hill.
That book has been quoted in detail on the previous page.

Take note that much of the content of the story is from Benetton staff in the year discussed.... ie William Toet.

The lack of protest by Williams at the Schumi chop was also discussed and the reasons why mentioned in earlier posts in the thread. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago
Antonov wrote: 5 years ago In the new book on 1994, the author claims Senna and Williams mistakenly took Schumacher and Benetton for having traction control. The idea of Senna formed largely through a weird sound, but the author claims this had to do with a unique style in Schumachers's driving: left foot braking while not releasing the throttle completely.

That book has been quoted in detail on the previous page.

Take note that much of the content of the story is from Benetton staff in the year discussed.... ie William Toet.

The lack of protest by Williams at the Schumi chop was also discussed and the reasons why mentioned in earlier posts in the thread. :wink:
My original response was very similar, instead I edited to focus on the questionable claim about Schumi's DSQs.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Braking and accelerating wasn't new though was it, as iirc Senna was one of those who utilised braking whilst keeping the revs up and ensuring the turbo was always on boost.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

DoubleFart wrote: 5 years ago Braking and accelerating wasn't new though was it, as iirc Senna was one of those who utilised braking whilst keeping the revs up and ensuring the turbo was always on boost.
There’s a great YouTube video from Monza testing that demonstrates Senna’s technique.

About this book. I was looking forward to reading it and subscribed to the updates. Yet when extracts were released as teasers along the writer’s perspective, I was underwhelmed. Information being presented as new fact was being overblown, perspective on incidents and information we already knew contradicted facts.

I’m interested to get thoughts once you’ve read it @DoubleFart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

kals wrote: 5 years ago

About this book. I was looking forward to reading it and subscribed to the updates. Yet when extracts were released as teasers along the writer’s perspective, I was underwhelmed. Information being presented as new fact was being overblown, perspective on incidents and information we already knew contradicted facts.
I was in the same boat, got the updates, read the samples and soon realised it was as you say not the gluttony of new info implied in the early press releases. And what they have put forward is from people like Toet, who as an engineer I respect tremendously as I have written previously, but I feel, as a Benetton insider much of his input is perhaps just to diffuse any further controversy. I was rather hoping for beans to be spilt, maybe an admission or two of guilt rather that what appears to be a cover up.

Again whether that is just the teasers I have read and there is more to the actual book I dont know, but it has dropped off my must get it list, for now at least.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years agoAnyway, Schumacher not being champion in 1994 would have been a farce: he was miles ahead, and even after unrightful disqualifications and exclusions, Hill couldn't beat Schumacher.

@Antonov??
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

@Antonov ??
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago Hill couldn't beat Schumacher.

The unthinkable.... Hill beat Schumacher, despite Schu being on pole. :wink: (closing the gap to one point at the top)

As an aside the race was red flagged when Brundle had his shunt, was later restarted and the race decided on aggregate times. (Schu was 6.8 secs ahead at the red flag, but lost by over 10 secs.) The last race to be decided that way.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago
Antonov wrote: 5 years ago Hill couldn't beat Schumacher.

The unthinkable.... Hill beat Schumacher, despite Schu being on pole. :wink: (closing the gap to one point at the top)

As an aside the race was red flagged when Brundle had his shunt, was later restarted and the race decided on aggregate times. (Schu was 6.8 secs ahead at the red flag, but lost by over 10 secs.) The last race to be decided that way.
You spoiled my fun. I wanted @Antonov to post that.

That was a pretty incredible win by Hill. Easily one of if not the best of his career.