Random motorcycle news

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Peter Hickman has won the Robert Holden trophy in the Open race in his first participation !
Hickman had a not so good start position and managed to follow a group with Horst Saiger. At the front Scott Moir blasted away and it looked like he'd win it. Halfway through the race, Horst Saiger managed to clinch 2nd position and defended it very well. With four to go Hickman started a blast seldom seen. From the tail end of the group he fought until he got behind Saiger. Moir in front still looked comfortable in the lead but with the start of the final lap Hickman was on a charge and the gap diminished until it all went down to a last lap, final corner do or die move in which Hickman clinched the victory followed by Scott Moir and Horst Saiger.
Great racing :)
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
mattia2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motogp and WSBK + everythin classic
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T
Favourite Driver: Kevin Schwantz
Favourite Circuit: VIR

Post by mattia2 »

Andy wrote: 5 years ago Peter Hickman has won the Robert Holden trophy in the Open race in his first participation !
Hickman had a not so good start position and managed to follow a group with Horst Saiger. At the front Scott Moir blasted away and it looked like he'd win it. Halfway through the race, Horst Saiger managed to clinch 2nd position and defended it very well. With four to go Hickman started a blast seldom seen. From the tail end of the group he fought until he got behind Saiger. Moir in front still looked comfortable in the lead but with the start of the final lap Hickman was on a charge and the gap diminished until it all went down to a last lap, final corner do or die move in which Hickman clinched the victory followed by Scott Moir and Horst Saiger.
I Think Hickman will dominate a lot in the next years. He's so good on the bike that it's impossible to anyone to match him race by race. His last lat at last year's Senior TT was fuckin' unbelievable, and with better luck he can easily cut out at least 10 more seconds.
Also, did you hear anything about Micheal Dunlop selling his team's signs on facebook? I'm really afraid that he's quitting, even if i can understand why he's doing that. The death of William was too much for him, with Robert's death he was racing the next day, this time he didn't show up in months...
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

mattia2 wrote: 5 years ago
Andy wrote: 5 years ago Peter Hickman has won the Robert Holden trophy in the Open race in his first participation !
I Think Hickman will dominate a lot in the next years. He's so good on the bike that it's impossible to anyone to match him race by race. His last lat at last year's Senior TT was fuckin' unbelievable, and with better luck he can easily cut out at least 10 more seconds.
Also, did you hear anything about Micheal Dunlop selling his team's signs on facebook? I'm really afraid that he's quitting, even if i can understand why he's doing that. The death of William was too much for him, with Robert's death he was racing the next day, this time he didn't show up in months...
Dean Harrison and Peter Hickman will be chasing each other and push themselves. They both broke records at TT last year and if it wasn't for Dean pushing, Peter wouldn't have posted the 135 mph lap.

Yes, I did see Michael Dunlop selling team furniture on facebook but I think it doesn't have much to do with quitting. I've seen it before when teams were re-designed, mainly due to new sponsors requiring their colours somewhere. This is nothing new, especially for smaller and privateer teams. There's still quite some speculation on Michael's future but even this ain't something new. He's usually very late announcing anything. I wouldn't blame him, calling it quit on his active career as a rider following last years events but I somehow doubt he'd pull out completely. Michaels dad, the late Robert Dunlop, came back from injuries which would have lead a different person calling it quit entirely. If Michael doesn't return to TT this year, then because he needs more time to get over the loss of his brother and make up his mind against some family pressure, which I assume to be there.
One last thing, and this is just a play with my own thoughts, he could have called it a day the moment he came across his dad laying at Mather's Cross on that fateful day in 2008 but instead of quitting, he went on to win the 250 race from Christian Elkin and John McGuinness two days later. The very class his dad had entered.

In other news, Martin Jessopp announced the other day that he won't return to the TT following another announcement that the team run by him and his dad had been dissolved.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Im firmly with @Andy on this one, and saw his post as an excellent appraisal of where Michael is now. Clearly a bit mentally burned out with all his issues re the tragedies, and I am sure there is great family pressures being put on him. I do believe that a return at some stage, even a more selective and reduced campaign, will happen at some stage.... Racing is part of his DNA. :wink:

I also think and agreethat Hickman and Harrisson will push each other to even greater heights. I dont see either one as going to be totally dominant.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Im firmly with @Andy on this one, and saw his post as an excellent appraisal of where Michael is now. Clearly a bit mentally burned out with all his issues re the tragedies, and I am sure there is great family pressures being put on him. I do believe that a return at some stage, even a more selective and reduced campaign, will happen at some stage.... Racing is part of his DNA. :wink:

I also think and agreethat Hickman and Harrisson will push each other to even greater heights. I dont see either one as going to be totally dominant.
Two little updates.
Swissman and IRRC SBK racer Lukas Maurer will be amongst the TT newcomers this year.
A more secret TT newcomer will be German David Datzer who also races in IRRC SBK. More secret because I only got the news from my mate Barry yesterday, that he's introducing David to the Mountain Course. Barry was a Manx GP winner and TT competitor himself. I passed this news on after David made it public through his facebook account.
:bye:
mattia2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motogp and WSBK + everythin classic
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T
Favourite Driver: Kevin Schwantz
Favourite Circuit: VIR

Post by mattia2 »

Andy wrote: 5 years ago
Dean Harrison and Peter Hickman will be chasing each other and push themselves. They both broke records at TT last year and if it wasn't for Dean pushing, Peter wouldn't have posted the 135 mph lap.

Yes, I did see Michael Dunlop selling team furniture on facebook but I think it doesn't have much to do with quitting. I've seen it before when teams were re-designed, mainly due to new sponsors requiring their colours somewhere. This is nothing new, especially for smaller and privateer teams. There's still quite some speculation on Michael's future but even this ain't something new. He's usually very late announcing anything. I wouldn't blame him, calling it quit on his active career as a rider following last years events but I somehow doubt he'd pull out completely. Michaels dad, the late Robert Dunlop, came back from injuries which would have lead a different person calling it quit entirely. If Michael doesn't return to TT this year, then because he needs more time to get over the loss of his brother and make up his mind against some family pressure, which I assume to be there.
One last thing, and this is just a play with my own thoughts, he could have called it a day the moment he came across his dad laying at Mather's Cross on that fateful day in 2008 but instead of quitting, he went on to win the 250 race from Christian Elkin and John McGuinness two days later. The very class his dad had entered.

In other news, Martin Jessopp announced the other day that he won't return to the TT following another announcement that the team run by him and his dad had been dissolved.
Don't know, i consider Hickman an overall better rider than Harrison. I think that he can do a lot more things with that BMW (any news about someone using the new S1000RR 2019 next year? Other then the official team in WSBK and the other one in the EWC) That's my opinion of course.
For the Dunlop thing maybe you're right, but to me his disapperance it's just strange. i can understand it of course, but i think he's seriously thinking to rest at home and not race for at least a period of time, which can be a few months or even some years like other guys did in the past. I don't know, we'll se what will happen in 2019...
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

In 2008, Michael was 18, at the beginning of his career. Now, he's proven himself to be one of the greatest road racers ever, he has won everything in his own way. What does he have to prove?

Etcetera.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

William Dunlop has been posthumously given the Belfast Telegraph Sports Award last night. His brother Michael received the award for William. You can watch it yourself at the link below.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/vide ... uW0f-P8bE4
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

William Dunlop has been inducted into the Irish Motorcycling Hall of Fame posthumously Friday night. His partner Janine and his mother Louise received the award. No words needed.
Video clip at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/northern ... d/46934778
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

A bit more of road racings rumour mill. But I'm not too surprised, it reflects my own thoughts. Add that my mate Mick Chatterton, himself a creditable roadracer and someone who hangs around these lads, co-authored here
http://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news- ... CLSIriR700
BSN wrote:Road racing killed his father and his uncle. And little has been heard of Michael Dunlop’s intentions since a crash during practice at Skerries took brother William’s life last year.

It will have been a period of intense introspection for the Ballymoney man - relieved by his first appearance in public at his brother’s posthumous induction to the Hall of Fame last week - but if the rumours are correct he will be back at the TT, if not before, and on a BMW Superbike with an Ireland-based team…

Road racing in Ireland is not just a profession or a hobby. It is a calling, a way of life and never more clearly demonstrated than William and Michael’s insistence on racing at the 2008 North West 200, against all advice, following the death of father Robert days before.

If this is the case, then there will be a serious challenger to Peter Hickman and Dean Harrison’s King of the Roads claim, although it is difficult to see past either of them. Who can forget their titanic duel in last year’s Pokerstars Senior TT when Hickman outsprinted his rival, creating an all-time lap record of 135.452mph, in a last lap dash over the Mountain to snatch victory.

It came after Harrison’s opening lap of 133.678mph, a one-time lead of 6.2 seconds and a final lap of 134.918mph were, in the end, just not enough. .....
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Andy wrote: 5 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Im firmly with @Andy on this one, and saw his post as an excellent appraisal of where Michael is now. Clearly a bit mentally burned out with all his issues re the tragedies, and I am sure there is great family pressures being put on him. I do believe that a return at some stage, even a more selective and reduced campaign, will happen at some stage.... Racing is part of his DNA. :wink:

mattia2 wrote:.....
For the Dunlop thing maybe you're right, but to me his disapperance it's just strange. i can understand it of course, but i think he's seriously thinking to rest at home and not race for at least a period of time, which can be a few months or even some years like other guys did in the past. I don't know, we'll se what will happen in 2019...
Well guys, here you go. Michael Dunlop confirmed an international roads campaign 2019 with Tyco BMW yesterday
Michael Dunlop has confirmed that he will return to international road racing this season with Tyco BMW.

The Ballymoney rider has not competed since his brother William was killed in practice at the Skerries 100 last July. .....
source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/46988715
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I hope it goes well for him and there are no bad omens in this. He was never going to retire, but I was not expecting a full season..... having said that the press release does not confirm a full season, and is a bit open ended.
The rider's full programme of events for Tyco BMW will be announced in the coming weeks.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago I hope it goes well for him and there are no bad omens in this. He was never going to retire, but I was not expecting a full season..... having said that the press release does not confirm a full season, and is a bit open ended.
The rider's full programme of events for Tyco BMW will be announced in the coming weeks.
My guess is that there are still negotiations regarding his own team going on and therefore the full tyco program can't be announced yet, in regards to possible schedule clashes and stuff.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Honda Racing announced Ian Hutchinson and Davo Johnson to spearhead their TT campaign on the SP2 Fireblade in both Superbike and Superstock catagories. Additionally, Honda will prepare a CBR600RR for Hutchinson in the Supersport catagory.
Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/47000922
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

More 2019 announcements rolling in
Rico Penzkofer named Danny Webb, Davy Todd and Daley Mathison for his Penz13 by wepol squad.
Danny will ride a Yamaha R1 while Davy and Daley will take on to the proved BMW machinery. Personally, I think that Penz is trying to prepare Danny a seat in Supersport on a R6, which was ridden by Marek Cerveny throughout and by Danny at the end of last season already.
Source: https://www.iomttraces.com/news/racing/ ... or-tt-2019
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Irish roads specialist Derek McGee has been announced to ride Faraldo Moto3 in most Irish Nationals as well as a few internationals such as the Southern 100. Faraldo, a true privateer, switches from Lightweight to Moto3 in a move for the future.
Source: http://www.roadracingcore.com/it/en/der ... cing-moto3