1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago Yes, the original newspapers sometimes say "Nordschleife/Südschleife" instead of "Nordkurve/Sudkurve". Perhaps a German speaker could correct me, but I took this to mean 'Northern Loop' and 'Southern Loop'....because those hairpins were kind of 180-degree loops rather than tight hairpins. I edited them all out, except for this one. The word hairpin isn't mentioned once, anywhere, so I presume that word wasn't in use yet.
Seems like a perfectly viable option to me. Nordschleife means literally northern loop. The Nürburgring has just made the term it's own over the years, but from a linguistic standpoint there is nothing special about the term Nordschleife.

EDIT:
Should this line:
he entries were to be divided into six classes – VIA and VIA, VIIIA and VIIIB, XA and XB
not be VIA and VIB?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Thanks for all the corrections :oops:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Michkov wrote: 5 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago Yes, the original newspapers sometimes say "Nordschleife/Südschleife" instead of "Nordkurve/Sudkurve". Perhaps a German speaker could correct me, but I took this to mean 'Northern Loop' and 'Southern Loop'....because those hairpins were kind of 180-degree loops rather than tight hairpins. I edited them all out, except for this one. The word hairpin isn't mentioned once, anywhere, so I presume that word wasn't in use yet.
Seems like a perfectly viable option to me. Nordschleife means literally northern loop. The Nürburgring has just made the term it's own over the years, but from a linguistic standpoint there is nothing special about the term Nordschleife.

To add to the confusion there used to be the so called 'Betonschleife' as well. :haha:
The proper nouns 'Nordschleife' as well as 'Südschleife' were rather quickly made up to make clear, that a race would only take place in the northern part, the long loop or the in the southern end, the shorter loop. In German, it usually reads 'Nürburgrings Nordschleife' or 'Nürburgrings Südschleife'.
Only on instances when both were combined, the term Nürburgring was used alone. Actually, if you talk about racing on the Nürburgring in German today and if you use the term 'Nordschleife' as a proper noun alone as in 'the 24h race on the Nordschleife' , everyone knows where you are.
You may also find the term 'Südschleife' in these days still but in most cases it is usually just a lightly wrong referral to the GP circuit.

The other thing is translating location names. It can make sense but usually it doesn't. For example, I'm still to find an article (again in German) about Donington where Redgate is called 'rotes Tor', for example. Of course, the location name (Redgate in this case) is used as a proper noun.
According to a mate in Canada, who spent most of the second half of his life as an English teacher, proper nouns do not get translated. And it makes sense. Or would you translate location names such as Hohe Acht, Schwedenkreuz, Döttinger Höhe, Wehrseifen ?

In most English texts I've read on the Nürburgring the Nordschleife gets described as northern loop once or twice and then the proper name gets used again.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Anyone who talks about the corner names in English says "This is Schwalbenschwanz, it means Swallow tail" etc. Or we don't translate it at all.

It's interesting though. Is 'gate' in German 'Tor'?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago Anyone who talks about the corner names in English says "This is Schwalbenschwanz, it means Swallow tail" etc. Or we don't translate it at all.

Yep.
And yeah that's what I meant re Schwalbenschwanz. You give a short description, here Swallow tail, but then you continue to use the proper noun again.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Andy wrote: 5 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago Anyone who talks about the corner names in English says "This is Schwalbenschwanz, it means Swallow tail" etc. Or we don't translate it at all.

Yep.
And yeah that's what I meant re Schwalbenschwanz. You give a short description, here Swallow tail, but then you continue to use the proper noun again.
Well, it's super interesting, because 'gate' in Japanese is "tori". And 'part-time job' in Japanese is 'Arbeit' :haha:

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

You've capitalized the von in von Opel, whenever the name didn't include his first name. I think that's only for when it's at the beginning of a sentence, but it's trivial. The article is absolutely brilliant. Congratulations, and thanks to everyone involved.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago
But 'Tor' in English is 'goal'... ;)
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago Well, it's super interesting, because 'gate' in Japanese is "tori". And 'part-time job' in Japanese is 'Arbeit' :haha:
But 'Arbeit' is a full-time job in German. A part-time job is a 'Job'! :amazed:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

But also how many times Breidscheid is called Adenau-Bridge?

And again, when i watch the English commentators at the 24 hour or VLN races, they make so many mistakes in pointing where they are at the track.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

@PTRACER found another one. On page 1, one of the picture texts is "The Nördkurve", should be "The Nordkurve"
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 5 years ago @PTRACER found another one. On page 1, one of the picture texts is "The Nördkurve", should be "The Nordkurve"
Thanks. Got a little excited with my umlauts there.

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago
Michkov wrote: 5 years ago @PTRACER found another one. On page 1, one of the picture texts is "The Nördkurve", should be "The Nordkurve"
Thanks. Got a little excited with my umlauts there.
Nahhh .... After all it is called 'Motörhead' ;) :haha:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I just realised that the AVUS banking was NOT built on top of the existing track, but inside of it. The loop you can see around the outside is the original track from before the banking was built:

For reference, see the "dirt" road that goes through the middle, between the two loops, and is in line with two bridges which go over the railway. This entire loop and that nice house on the inside of the curve was gone by 1943, going by aerial photography from wartime.