1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

1921 Avus-Rennen Article - Published!

Post by PTRACER »

Super proud of this one. It's been 2 years in the making. This is the first ever detailed English account of the inaugural race meeting at AVUS held in 1921. Since it's pretty much a translation of the original reports, it retains all the original flavour and captures all the excitement too. 6000+ words. Tons of pictures, which were previously unidentified or identified incorrectly. Couldn't have done it without the help of a few friends. If anyone spots any glaring errors in the text, let me know.

Link: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/the-first-races-at-avus/

@hollie3sa @Andy
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Wow..... what a great looking article @PTRACER That will be a great read I am sure, but not tonight for me. Looking forward to it though, as it is an era and track by my own admission I know little about. Will be deservedly read soon though. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the time you have put into compiling such a comprehensive looking piece, and thanks also those that helped with the material.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago Super proud of this one. It's been 2 years in the making. This is the first ever detailed English account of the inaugural race meeting at AVUS held in 1921. Since it's pretty much a translation of the original reports, it retains all the original flavour and captures all the excitement too. 6000+ words. Tons of pictures, which were previously unidentified or identified incorrectly. Couldn't have done it without the help of a few friends. If anyone spots any glaring errors in the text, let me know.

Link: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/the-first-races-at-avus/

@hollie3sa @Andy
Brilliant mate, congrats :thumbsup:
A minor grammar mistake came to mind after a quick glance at the first section under Practice
Since practice times did not count for anything, very little was documented, however the Opels and the Benz cars looked fast, while number of spectators – who were mostly gathered in the paddock and at the Südkurve – demonstrated that this was to be a popular event.
My guess is, that it should have been either 'a number of spectators' or 'numbers of spectators'
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

And I seem to have discovered a flaw with the /mention tag
Sorry that I abruptly finished aboves post but I couldn't use the enter-key anymore because the site insisted that I would have to enter hollie3sa as well. The little blue box with his name remained standing unless I hit enter a couple times and ruining my text as well.

I'll have a closer look later tonight but it looks really good already!
:thumbsup: :bye:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

I caught wind of this over at TNF. Only had time for a quick skim but the piece looks thorough, informative and entertaining.

Well done, PT. Take a bow. :thumbsup:
Miles to go B4 I sleep
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Me, too. Looks like a through piece of work, Paul. :bravo: Need to find the time to read it properly, though. :down:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Amazing piece of work Paul!! :smiley:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

Great job PTRACER that must have taken some research :agreepost:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Thanks all, I'm so happy this has been so well received. It's not often you come by a lap-by-lap account of a race meeting that happened 100 years ago. It's kind of a niche moment in racing history so if anyone gets any future use or enjoyment from it I'll be happy.

I made the edit last night Andy, thanks for spotting the mistake.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Very interesting, thank you for all your hard work, Paul! It is very intersting to see how standards in how to host a motor racing event were formed, especially this kind of proto formula.

However, noticed something:
The First Race

Since the early hours, the starting point at the Nordschleife was the site of the typical pre-race chaos. Side-by-side, drivers and mechanics worked to refine their machines, checking and rechecking the engines, pipes, plugs, valves, and pressure gauges to ensure reliability. Individual cars went out for a sighter lap, albeit at a reduced pace.
Nordschleife?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Cheeveer wrote: 5 years ago Very interesting, thank you for all your hard work, Paul! It is very intersting to see how standards in how to host a motor racing event were formed, especially this kind of proto formula.

However, noticed something:
The First Race

Since the early hours, the starting point at the Nordschleife was the site of the typical pre-race chaos. Side-by-side, drivers and mechanics worked to refine their machines, checking and rechecking the engines, pipes, plugs, valves, and pressure gauges to ensure reliability. Individual cars went out for a sighter lap, albeit at a reduced pace.
Nordschleife?
Yes, the original newspapers sometimes say "Nordschleife/Südschleife" instead of "Nordkurve/Sudkurve". Perhaps a German speaker could correct me, but I took this to mean 'Northern Loop' and 'Southern Loop'....because those hairpins were kind of 180-degree loops rather than tight hairpins. I edited them all out, except for this one. The word hairpin isn't mentioned once, anywhere, so I presume that word wasn't in use yet.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I see, also interesting.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

First page, 3rd picture: Is it really called the "Nördkurve"? Or is it the "Nordkurve"?
sebbbl
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Grand Prix Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312T
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber
Favourite Circuit: AVUS
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Focus

Post by sebbbl »

Thanks a lot! I will read it during the weekend.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago Yes, the original newspapers sometimes say "Nordschleife/Südschleife" instead of "Nordkurve/Sudkurve". Perhaps a German speaker could correct me, but I took this to mean 'Northern Loop' and 'Southern Loop'....because those hairpins were kind of 180-degree loops rather than tight hairpins. I edited them all out, except for this one. The word hairpin isn't mentioned once, anywhere, so I presume that word wasn't in use yet.
Seems like a perfectly viable option to me. Nordschleife means literally northern loop. The Nürburgring has just made the term it's own over the years, but from a linguistic standpoint there is nothing special about the term Nordschleife.

EDIT:
Should this line:
he entries were to be divided into six classes – VIA and VIA, VIIIA and VIIIB, XA and XB
not be VIA and VIB?