Gran Premio de Salma Hayek

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Max does not give up.... now he is saying any of the top drivers (including himself) would have won the title in the Mercedes.
I’m sure anyone would, but hamilton won 4 titles in 5 years. That was it.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Yes the car was good.... but Lewis was the best driver on the grid all year. Very few mistakes.
But having the best car allows you to not overdrive the car. So making fewer mistakes.
Max said months or even more than a year ago: "Give me the same car and then we can see how good Lewis actually is."
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Yes the car was good.... but Lewis was the best driver on the grid all year. Very few mistakes.
But having the best car allows you to not overdrive the car. So making fewer mistakes.
Max said months or even more than a year ago: "Give me the same car and then we can see how good Lewis actually is."
Sounds like a typical 20 year old shooting his mouth off. He would continue to have the same crashes, but probably more wins.

The Mercedes was not the best car this year, the Ferrari was. It's just that the team and Seb made too many mistakes to bring the titles home.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

XcraigX wrote: 5 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago
Sounds like a typical 20 year old shooting his mouth off. He would continue to have the same crashes, but probably more wins.

The Mercedes was not the best car this year, the Ferrari was. It's just that the team and Seb made too many mistakes to bring the titles home.
And now Kimi Räikkönen says the same thing.

A lot say the Ferrari is so much faster or the better car. I doubt it.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

I doubt it too. The cars were on the same level but something changed after Monza when Mercedes seemed to solve the graining and comsumption of the tyres they had been affected since the beginning of the season.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I don't believe that there was a best car this year. Some weekends the Ferrari should have won at a canter, and others they didn't have a chance of beating the Mercs.

Cars have been very temperamental and are on a razor's edge for setup, with a change of a couple of degrees in temp throwing them out of the operating window.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Agreed @DoubleFart. I think it was like this the whole season. Sometimes we saw one team dominate free practice and qualification and when the race started they were nowhere.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

DoubleFart wrote: 5 years ago I don't believe that there was a best car this year. Some weekends the Ferrari should have won at a canter, and others they didn't have a chance of beating the Mercs.

Cars have been very temperamental and are on a razor's edge for setup, with a change of a couple of degrees in temp throwing them out of the operating window.
Agree. In that respect it is similar to 2008 when clear performance swapped race by race between McLaren and Ferrari. The difference between 2008 and 2018 is only one protagonist this season made mistakes.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

kals wrote: 5 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 5 years ago I don't believe that there was a best car this year. Some weekends the Ferrari should have won at a canter, and others they didn't have a chance of beating the Mercs.

Agree. In that respect it is similar to 2008 when clear performance swapped race by race between McLaren and Ferrari. The difference between 2008 and 2018 is only one protagonist this season made mistakes.
I think you might (also) mean 2007? (When you had Ferrari with long wheelbase, and McLaren with short wheelbase)
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago

I think you might (also) mean 2007? (When you had Ferrari with long wheelbase, and McLaren with short wheelbase)
I meant 2008, but 2007 is also a good shout because of the swing in performance between the two teams each round.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

Massa made only one mistake in 2008. Hamilton was extremely lucky that year beside being consistency, but you couldn’t blame massa for the engine failure at the last lap of the hungarian gp or the mess at singapore gp. This year vettel made many mistakes led by the excessive rush to win the race and hamilton was perfect beside having a fast and reliable car, a team all for him, and the usual “little help from the friends”.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

caneparo wrote: 5 years ago Massa made only one mistake in 2008. Hamilton was extremely lucky that year beside being consistency, but you couldn’t blame massa for the engine failure at the last lap of the hungarian gp or the mess at singapore gp. This year vettel made many mistakes led by the excessive rush to win the race and hamilton was perfect beside having a fast and reliable car, a team all for him, and the usual “little help from the friends”.
One mistake? He spun off at turn one on lap one at Australia. Spun off from a safe second place at Malaysia. Acted like a spinning top at Silverstone. Turned Hamilton around at Japan, then punted off Bourdais later in the race. And there were more.

Hamilton also made many mistakes.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

caneparo wrote: 5 years ago Massa made only one mistake in 2008. Hamilton was extremely lucky that year beside being consistency, but you couldn’t blame massa for the engine failure at the last lap of the hungarian gp or the mess at singapore gp. This year vettel made many mistakes led by the excessive rush to win the race and hamilton was perfect beside having a fast and reliable car, a team all for him, and the usual “little help from the friends”.
One mistake? He spun off at turn one on lap one at Australia. Spun off from a safe second place at Malaysia. Acted like a spinning top at Silverstone. Turned Hamilton around at Japan, then punted off Bourdais later in the race. And there were more.
- picked up the win at France after Kimi's mechanical gremlins
- was awarded the win at Spa after a very unanimous race
- was let through to keep his championship hopes alive in China
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

- won one race more than hamilton
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Massa was also robbed of the win at Hungary in 2008 when his engine blew a lap from the end, whilst leading, having led all the way apart from pit stops, allowing a distant Kovalainen to take the win .

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Massa was also robbed of the win at Hungary in 2008 when his engine blew a lap from the end, whilst leading, having led all the way apart from pit stops, allowing a distant Kovalainen to take the win .
Toni had already mentioned that in his original answer.

Think we’ve gone off topic here somewhat, this isn’t supposed to be a bitchfest or justification about Massa and why or why he didn’t win the 2008 title. My point was that 2008 had two teams who from one race to the next had the best car (for that event) and that both title contenders made multiple mistakes during the year. Similar to 2018, apart from only one title contender made mistakes.

The conversation specifically about Massa started when Toni said he’d only made one mistake during the 2008 season. Which is false.