2019 silly season thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Whoever steps into that Williams. Hopefully, he gets this garbage car up the grid again.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Sirotkin is apparently in doubt because despite his Russian money, Williams obviously need to replace the Stroll and Martini money. I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that the Russian connections are causing Williams great difficulty in teeing up other sponsors.... those they have got keen have not been so keen to be associated with the dubious Russian connections. Williams must decide whether they can do better without a Russian connection which might then open up new sponsor opportunities.

Maybe money that will come from Mercedes in the form of cash / engines or whatever will ease the Williams need for more money. :dunno:

I guess if they cant find replacement funding they will stick with Sirotkin and his SMP money, if they can it is see you later Sergey.
As I said I read this a couple of weeks ago but cant remember or find the source now.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Good luck to the strange looking lad. Deserves the shot.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Forgot to say I personally think Russell needs another year in F2 or a season in Japan, but if Norris deserves a crack then Russell certainly does. I do believe he has the talent, just a bit light on experience.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Forgot to say I personally think Russell needs another year in F2 or a season in Japan, but if Norris deserves a crack then Russell certainly does. I do believe he has the talent, just a bit light on experience.
Considering Russell is favourite to win the GP2 title (he leads Albon by 37 points with 40 points available for the final rounds), why would he need a second season in the series?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I think the gap between F2 and F1 is quite large and I believe experience is what he might lack. I think more than F2 perhaps a year in Japanese SUper Formula, which seems to be a high standard, and laterly spawned or honed the edges off of the likes of Gasly and (erm) Vandoorne.
I hope I am wrong. I do rate Russell as pick of the crop.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago I think the gap between F2 and F1 is quite large and I believe experience is what he might lack. I think more than F2 perhaps a year in Japanese SUper Formula, which seems to be a high standard, and laterly spawned or honed the edges off of the likes of Gasly and (erm) Vandoorne.
I'm not disputing that Super Formula is or is not a decently high standard series but I don't think it will be be anything more than a holding ground rather than serving to provide more experience. Vandoorne was placed there by Honda on behalf of McLaren, whereas Gasly was at a dead end with Red Bull. He hadn't proved enough to get an F1 drive as his GP2 title winning season was unconvincing.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Fair enough. As I said I am a fan of Russell and hope all goes well. I guess a lot depends on the car Williams put him in as to how he performs in outright terms.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago I think the gap between F2 and F1 is quite large and I believe experience is what he might lack. I think more than F2 perhaps a year in Japanese SUper Formula, which seems to be a high standard, and laterly spawned or honed the edges off of the likes of Gasly and (erm) Vandoorne.
As a champion Russell wouldn't be allowed to stay in F2 anyway. Super Formula is not even a side-step, there are like 6 races there and there's always one or two that are canned due to monsoons or whatever :haha:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Agree with the monsoons! (Didnt Gasly lose the title by a point when on a roll, only to be thwarted by a monsoon cancelled season finale?)
I was not aware the F2 champion was not allowed to run the following season, so I learnt something there. Is that a new ruling when GP2 became F2, or always been the case?
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Agree with the monsoons! (Didnt Gasly lose the title by a point when on a roll, only to be thwarted by a monsoon cancelled season finale?)
Indeed. He and Rosenqvist lost out the chance to unseat the title leader after Suzuka finale was cancelled

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Su ... ampionship
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Agree with the monsoons! (Didnt Gasly lose the title by a point when on a roll, only to be thwarted by a monsoon cancelled season finale?)
I was not aware the F2 champion was not allowed to run the following season, so I learnt something there. Is that a new ruling when GP2 became F2, or always been the case?
It was the case since day one but nobody talked about it since Rosberg, Hamilton and Glock swiftly moved into F1 (or returned as in Glock's case). But then Pantano had to move into Superleague Formula (remember that dud?) following his GP2 title success.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

What is interesting is that the approach to Williams re Russell getting the drive stemmed not from Mercedes contacting Williams, rather the initial contact came from a call George made to Paddy Lowe around the German GP. No Managers or big names doing the groundwork and paving the way, he picked up the 'phone and did his own legwork (other than the Mercedes financial support that has fuelled his junior career that comes with being a part of the Mercedes development team)

Russell - a Mercedes junior - and Lowe briefly worked together before Lowe left Merc to join Williams for 2017, and Russell used that link to lobby for a 2019 F1 seat.

Im sure that there must have been some financial input from Mercedes in terms of engine discounts in the latter stages of the negotiations, due to the financial predicament the team is now in without Stroll or Martini, but I mention that in no way to disparage or take away from Russell getting the opportunity.
"My first contact with them was about two weeks before the Hockenheim race," Russell said.

"I had a phone call with Paddy and I told him, 'I want to be in Formula 1 next season and I want to be in a Williams, can we have a meeting with yourself and Claire, and discuss the matter further?'.

"That was the real point I knew things were moving in Formula 1 and I needed to get in there before I missed an opportunity.

"It was probably the Hockenheim weekend that was the first indication or point of contact with Williams and things started progressing from there."

"I always feel it is better coming from the horse's mouth, rather than the likes of Toto or whoever from Mercedes making that point of contact for me," said Russell.

"As I knew Paddy from when he was at Mercedes we had a bit of a relationship, so I was more than comfortable picking up the phone with him and arranging to meet himself and Claire."
I'm liking the guy more and more as I read/learn more about him. His overall attitude and demeanour, backed by his talent deserves the ride. Over to Williams to provide him a decent car.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Stoffel Vandoorne has confirmed his absence from the F1 grid next year, unable to secure a ride since being dumped by McLaren in favour of Sainz and Norris for 2019. He was seeking an alternative role in F1 but has now given that away, today confirming he will join the all electric Formula E. Stoffel has announced he will race for HWA RACELAB.
“Today, a new racing series, a new challenge and a new team for me has been announced: I will be making my Formula E debut in the 2018/19 season as a member of the HWA RACELAB squad,” Vandoorne said in a statement.

“I am honoured that HWA have signed me for their Formula E programme: HWA are such a great team with a long and successful history in motorsport.”
Not F1 relevant but for info last week HWA signed Gary Paffett, who will join the series after Mercedes opted to end its DTM program.

Since that announcement, Paffet has sealed the 2018 DTM title, with Vandoorne looking forward to working with experienced the Englishman.
“All the people I’ve met so far are really passionate about racing,” the Belgian said of HWA.

“Also, it´s great to work alongside such an experienced driver as Gary Paffett, the newly crowned DTM champion.

“I am pretty sure that we will benefit from each other during the season. Although we are all newbies to the series, I have no doubt that we will have a steep learning curve.

“However, it won’t be easy. My objective is therefore to become competitive in the series as soon as possible and to make a good impression.

“At the same time, I would like to thank everyone at McLaren for having supported me throughout the last seven years, starting with the Young Drivers’ Programme days, through to my two seasons as a test driver and finally, as a Formula 1 driver,” he added.

“Over these fantastic years I have met incredibly skilled and caring people who have made me feel part of the family, I have learned about discipline, tricks and patience and I am proud to say, today I am a better driver.”
Im sure that is the last we will see of Stoffel in F1.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Good on Stoffel, hopefully he gets appreciated in his new role and somehow finds his way back to F1 in the future.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

kals wrote: 5 years ago Good on Stoffel, hopefully he gets appreciated in his new role and somehow finds his way back to F1 in the future.
Exactly this. :agreepost: :bow: