Motorsports Circuit Database

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

@PTRACER Sure.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 5 years ago @PTRACER Sure.
Same email address in your profile right?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Yes
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Something very old this time. The 1913 & 1915 layout for the Point Loma Road races in San Diego. Wasn't even in the database just a grey entry in the index.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Formula E track #2 Beijing Olympic Park
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I got question regarding Brands Hatch. My usual googling and watching old races narrowed it down but not nearly enough.

In short what I got now is. It starts in 1932 with an unpaved* Indy circuit sans Druids ran the wrong way (I). The whole thing got paved in 1950. 53 saw the addition of Druids and the first clockwise races.
Next up we got the addition of the GP loop in 1960 together with permanent pits. The track stayed the same for 16 years until Paddock and Cooper got moved around plus the current pitlane was build.
Then Westfield and Dingle Dell got modified in 88, Graham Hill Bend in 99 and finally Dingle Dell got straightened out again in 03.

That's the big changes, leaves me with the following questions:
  1. When did they stop running Brands in reverse, latest I found was 1969 sidecars on the GP loop
  • There is a 2nd strip of tarmac linking Clearway back to Surtess. Do we know why this was build and when? The first it showed up is in a 1967 trackmap.
  • There is a small Kart track north of Paddock Hill Bend. Again the question when was it build**
  • The chicane at pit in. Is this in permanent usage these days or are is it taken out depending on series?
  • Finally the big one, Rallycross. Sources indicate the first RX race was in 1976 I got no further information on the layout. In 81 another(?) layout Imagewas build and used till the end of the 1990, see bottom of the link. Finally there seems to be one used in 2003. And I have no clue when that one was started being used or when Rallycross went away from Brands. Because the Paddock RX cut disappears between 09 and 11.
    This layout seems never to have been used. At least I cant find anything on this but the various RCDB clones as a source for this image.
That's about all of it. Question V is the most important one but any information is highly appreciated. Pictures below for reference.

*I'm given up on MX tracks btw, because this becomes an unending nightmare of finding all the yearly variations. This includes the scramble tracks around the woods that would become the GP loop.

** There is a huge gap in Google Earths historic coverage jumping from 1960 to 1990, hence all the timeline questions.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

1972:

Circuit was modified in early 1976.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

According to Google Earth (not that reliable in time), setting the history slider on 1990 Turn 4 is not altered yet.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I got the main circuit info, that is easy to come by. The minor changes are hard to track down.

@PTRACER that pictures is new to me anymore where that one came from?
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago 1972:

Circuit was modified in early 1976.
This photo was taken in 1964 according to the official Brands Hatch facebook page.

>>Click here<<
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Do we know when Brands stopped being run the right way? I got footage of sidecars running CCW as late as 69.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Michkov wrote: 5 years ago Do we know when Brands stopped being run the right way? I got footage of sidecars running CCW as late as 69.
In the early 70's they ran CCW too.

I hoped this site would help, but it doesn't .
Clockwise
In 1954 it was decided to reverse the direction of the circuit and drivers began racing clockwise for the first time creating Paddock Hill bend, a daunting downhill sweeping right hander.
https://www.500race.org/web/Perspective ... Hatch.html

Maybe asking it here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1941126426149286/ or sent a mail to the official track.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I already tried but they havn't replied, it's been over a week. I dont think they'll get back to me.

I guess I'll stick it in the open questions at the bottom of the page.
Last edited by Michkov 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

I don't want to disrupt your Brands Hatch discussion, but I want to make some correction about "Tblisi" racing circuit in Georgia.

Actually, city's correct name is "Tbilisi", but more interesting, there were two racing circuits in Georgia's capital.

First of them was street circuit located in Vake-Saburtalo district of Tbilisi, so it's usually was called as "Tbilisi" circuit. It held races of USSR Championship in 1960s before fatal accident in April 1967, where Volga of Bayzet Bedzhashev crashed into group of spectators, killing 6 people and injuring about dozen. Unfortunately, I don't found any circuit maps for this track.

Second one is located in city of Rustavi, about 12 km south-east of Tbilisi. It was built in 1979 and was one of most complex Soviet racing circuits - including nearby motocross track, kart circuit and area for racing triatlon (hybrid of autoslalom and some techniques from practical tests for driving's licence in Russia). Despite Rustavi was more developed circuit, it wasn't popular as it was located far from main auto racing centres in Union (Baltic countries, Moscow, Leningrad and Kiev) and organization of races was criticized, including work of firefighters and doctors (however, only recorded Rustavi fatality was Mikhail Loginov, who suffered heart attack during practice for round of USSR Touring Championship in 1989). After fall of Soviet Union, Rustavi was almost abandoned and rarely held official races, before in 2009 Russian-Georgian racing driver and businessman Shota Abkhazava bought it and reconstructed. It was reopened in 2012 as Rustavi International Motorpark.

Drawing in your database belongs to old Rustavi circuit (http://www.ussr-autosport.ru/tracks/rustavi.html), while new one have three different variants (I have some strange feelings to post there link to Wikipedia, but still: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rustavi_I ... _Motorpark)
Alonsomania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Alonsomania »

Moving back to Brands, here's two screencaps from a '67 F3 race, if this is of any help:

https://imgur.com/a/yg31C4A
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Alonsomania wrote: 5 years ago Moving back to Brands, here's two screencaps from a '67 F3 race, if this is of any help:

https://imgur.com/a/yg31C4A
At this point layouts are done, just needs exporting and building the html file.
All that I need is some ancillary information, specifically when they stopped running CCW and when the kart track was build.

Sedre wrote: 5 years ago I don't want to disrupt your Brands Hatch discussion, but I want to make some correction about "Tblisi" racing circuit in Georgia.

Actually, city's correct name is "Tbilisi", but more interesting, there were two racing circuits in Georgia's capital.

First of them was street circuit located in Vake-Saburtalo district of Tbilisi, so it's usually was called as "Tbilisi" circuit. It held races of USSR Championship in 1960s before fatal accident in April 1967, where Volga of Bayzet Bedzhashev crashed into group of spectators, killing 6 people and injuring about dozen. Unfortunately, I don't found any circuit maps for this track.

Second one is located in city of Rustavi, about 12 km south-east of Tbilisi. It was built in 1979 and was one of most complex Soviet racing circuits - including nearby motocross track, kart circuit and area for racing triatlon (hybrid of autoslalom and some techniques from practical tests for driving's licence in Russia). Despite Rustavi was more developed circuit, it wasn't popular as it was located far from main auto racing centres in Union (Baltic countries, Moscow, Leningrad and Kiev) and organization of races was criticized, including work of firefighters and doctors (however, only recorded Rustavi fatality was Mikhail Loginov, who suffered heart attack during practice for round of USSR Touring Championship in 1989). After fall of Soviet Union, Rustavi was almost abandoned and rarely held official races, before in 2009 Russian-Georgian racing driver and businessman Shota Abkhazava bought it and reconstructed. It was reopened in 2012 as Rustavi International Motorpark.

Drawing in your database belongs to old Rustavi circuit (http://www.ussr-autosport.ru/tracks/rustavi.html), while new one have three different variants (I have some strange feelings to post there link to Wikipedia, but still: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rustavi_I ... _Motorpark)
Feel free to disrupt the discussion. Any information is appreciated, especially given that most of the page is outdated by at least 10 years. I'll plan on getting around to fixing it. Graphics will take longer, typos I'll fix when I upload Brands.