Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Indeed!

And it's part of big news on the team front:
New Harding Steinbrenner Racing team signs O'Ward, Herta for 2019

In one of the seminal moments in modern IndyCar racing, the family of the most iconic sports franchise in American history is teaming up with Mike Harding and Michael Andretti to run two of the most promising drivers on four wheels.

RACER.com has been sitting on this story for a month at the behest of the new team, but later this afternoon it will become official when Harding Steinbrenner Racing introduces Pato O’Ward and Colton Herta as full-timers on the 2019 IndyCar circuit in a press conference at Yankee Stadium.

The team will be based in Harding’s shop on Main Street in Speedway, rely on Andretti’s technical expertise, and be powered by Chevrolet. George Michael Steinbrenner IV, the 22-year-old son of New York Yankees part-owner and co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner who has fielded an Indy Lights car for Herta the past two seasons with Andretti Autosports, is moving up and will be the youngest car owner in IndyCar racing history.

“Walking around paddock as a kid, it was always cool to see Scott Dixon or Will Power ride by on their scooters, but anytime Roger Penske or Michael Andretti would come by that’s who I wanted to be, that’s what I wanted to do,” said Steinbrenner, whose interest was fueled by following the late Tony Renna in his early days.

“We took Colton under our wing, and I thought we could make the jump, and knew it wouldn’t be too long, and everything worked out perfectly. To have a new, passionate team like Harding Racing to partner with these two talented kids is just exciting. And we hope to give these grizzled veterans a run for their money.”

https://racer.com/2018/09/19/new-hardin ... -for-2019/

Bonus article: https://racer.com/2018/09/19/team-overh ... nner-deal/
So, great news to see an extra car on the grid next year. And great to see two young talents given a full time ride. Just what the series needs.

But it leaves a whole stack of questions.

What about Gabby Chaves's 2019 contract? Up in dust, I'd say. Maybe they'll swing him a free Indy 500 ride?

What does this mean for McLaren? If it happens, where will they go now? This was meant to be the place...

Will Andretti's actual keep their car count stable, and ensure that this is an extra car?

Meanwhile, a flipping 22-year-old team owner... Crazy. The kid might become the next Roger Penske (though he'd start with an extra 10-15 years on Roger from when he started!).
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Hmm, I wonder how much input he had.

Fingers crossed.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Maybe, maybe not. Remember that his leg and lower body muscles, tendons, nerves and so on need stimulating and moving after being through major trauma followed by next to Jon-existent movement for a lengthy period of time.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Coyne has spoken Vandoorne about a full season:

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/ ... 2019-drive

Would be great to see. But I don't think it'll happen at all.

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Then I will certainly head to Detroit next year :D
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Carlin also talking about expanding to three full time cars. Can't say I believe that though.

But they've also said that they're going to put two cars back into Indy Lights, which is good. Tiny field this year.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Carlin have the capacity to expand to 3 cars in 2019 yet don’t have the capacity to achieve a reasonable result due to having pathetic pay drivers.

...Max Chilton finished last in the point tables (of all the full time drivers). I don’t think he had a single top 10 finish either.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Ed Jones will be in the third Carlin car, you might as well call the team Ganassis Castoffs.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Ian-S wrote: 5 years ago Ed Jones will be in the third Carlin car, you might as well call the team Ganassis Castoffs.
The team is Ganassi cast offs, from the equipment, to the entries, to some of the personnel, to receiving funding from Chilton’s father’s current employer.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

kals wrote: 5 years ago Carlin have the capacity to expand to 3 cars in 2019 yet don’t have the capacity to achieve a reasonable result due to having pathetic pay drivers.

...Max Chilton finished last in the point tables (of all the full time drivers). I don’t think he had a single top 10 finish either.
To be fair, Kimball has been alright - well, not utterly dire. Chilton, on the other hand... 11th is a place too.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 years ago
kals wrote: 5 years ago Carlin have the capacity to expand to 3 cars in 2019 yet don’t have the capacity to achieve a reasonable result due to having pathetic pay drivers.

To be fair, Kimball has been alright - well, not utterly dire. Chilton, on the other hand... 11th is a place too.
Kimball was alright at Ganassi as well and could sometimes pull off a surprise result.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 years ago Hmm, I wonder how much input he had.

Fingers crossed.
I saw Robbie posting a similar video to his Instagram stories earlier today, quoting here:

"Just to clarify it's not my legs turning the pedals. it is a mix of electric stimulation and motor assistance on the pedals. Still feels awesome to get the legs moving!"
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Thanks for the clarification. I did wonder if he was in anyway involved in moving his legs.
Best of luck and wishes remain for a full recovery and return to total self generated mobility.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Now is that 'legs not moving pedals because they are still setting', or 'legs not moving because they won't'?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.