2018 Aussie Supercars & Supports Discussion | Grand Final (24-25 Nov) @ Newcastle

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Davison is now completely buried in the tire wall with three to go.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

SVG wins from Jamie and McLaughlin who recovered from falling outside the top 10 on the first lap.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/07/11/qu ... -takeover/

Australian GT has been sold to Jim Manolios and his Trofeo Motorsport business (i.e. NOT the Australian Supercars as was planned).
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Yeah I'd rather not have to bake all-day in 30+ degree sun and then get drenched by a big thunderstorm right as I'm leaving the track. I think if you asked the drivers they'd be opposed to running events in the summer given that they have to wear several layers of protective clothing and that it's generally much hotter inside the cars then out.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

theracer120 wrote: 5 years ago Yeah I'd rather not have to bake all-day in 30+ degree sun and then get drenched by a big thunderstorm right as I'm leaving the track. I think if you asked the drivers they'd be opposed to running events in the summer given that they have to wear several layers of protective clothing and that it's generally much hotter inside the cars then out.
I would rather bake in the sun than freeze my tits off. 30C is good but over that is a bit wearing for me. But then we dont have the humidity of the Northern states so its less nasty. The rain is less predictable down here in the South. As are the 30 + days of course.

Agree for the drivers it would be too much.... look at the Clipsal where we often see drivers having to be given IV drips to re-hydrate after the race, or even bailing out if they get a coolsuit problem.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

With the exception of a couple of races (Eastern Creek at night in the middle of August for example, yeah that'll attract the spectators :roll:) the schedule is pretty good as it is in terms of timing. I don't think this is something that needs to be fixed anyway.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

theracer120 wrote: 5 years ago I don't think this is something that needs to be fixed anyway.
^^^This. If it aint broke don't fix it. Its not like putting it outside the footy season is going to make any difference to the FTA TV, and Foxtel has its own channel anyway.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Simona likely / favourite to replace Lowndes at T888 for 2019 ????

The question of who if anyone is likeley to replace Craig Lowndes in the full time 3rd T888 car has now focussed on the likleyhood of Simona De Silvestro being the favourite. Holden are known to be keen to run a female driver, and although under contract next year to the Nissan team it is said she has an out clause regarding it being a works team.... Nissan having announced their withdrawal as a works entry for 2019. Some in the paddock are saying that the deal has already been signed. She would come with Harvey Norman backing. HP, who suddenly appeared on the bonnet of Lowndes car over the weekend are also linked to SdS. (Peronally I would like to see Simona in a better car than the Nissan, but whether she is a Lowndes replacement or not.....

Dane however is in public stating they may revert to a two car team only. There are also other drivers in the frame , one being a Dane favourite, Chaz Mostert, under contract to Tickford but with a performance related exit clause. Tickford are having a very poor year.
Simona de Silvestro has been tipped to join Triple Eight to pilot a third entry set to be vacated by Craig Lowndes at the end of the season.

The Swiss driver appears the favourite to move to the multiple championship winners following last week’s confirmation that Lowndes will step down from full-time Supercars racing.

Multiple sources told Speedcafe.com over the Watpac Townsville 400 weekend that it is already a done deal, although there has been no word from the driver or Triple Eight on the matter.

Team owner Roland Dane was coy when asked about de Silvestro during last Friday’s announcement regarding Lowndes’ future, but refused to rule out a move for the driver. He also was unable to confirm if his team will run more than two cars next season.

De Silvestro is committed to Supercars having originally penned a three-year deal from 2017 but revealed earlier this season that her future at Nissan was uncertain for 2019.

The 29-year-old is likely to bring commercial backing to the team having forged a partnership with furniture and electrical retailer Harvey Norman that initially brought her to the championship last year.

IT giant HP Australia, a sponsor that appeared prominently on de Silvestro’s car during a maiden Bathurst wildcard run in 2016, has also emerged on the Triple Eight cars over the Townsville weekend following the announcement of a new technical partnership.

It is also understood that should de Silvestro move to the squad she would head up a team expected to feature a significant female presence.

Triple Eight recruited data engineer Romy Mayer in 2015, who has since been working on Jamie Whincup’s car, would be an ideal candidate for a possible race engineer role.

The former Mercedes DTM and GT3 employee played race engineer for a day during a Triple Eight young driver evaluation last year.

Nissan Motorsport has however told Speedcafe.com that de Silvestro is contracted to the Braeside team for next year although it has been reported that her deal stipulates driving for a factory team.

The Japanese manufacturer is set to leave the sport and team Kelly Racing at the end of the year.

Holden has indicated its desire to see a female race a Commodore in Supercars but admitted over the weekend that it has no sway in Triple Eight’s decision regarding driver line-ups.

However, de Silvestro may not be the only option for Triple Eight.

Dane admitted that he wouldn’t be short of candidates when asked by Speedcafe.com about plans if a third entry is retained for next year.

It is known the Triple Eight boss has long admired Chaz Mostert although the 2014 Bathurst 1000 winner inked a new two-year contract with Tickford Racing until at least the end of 2019.

However, Speedcafe.com understands the 26-year-old has an out clause in the deal relating to the team’s performance.

Tickford Racing boss Tim Edwards rebuffed suggestions any of his drivers could be set for a move away.

“There is only one that hasn’t got a contract at the moment,” Edwards told Speedcafe.com, referring to Mark Winterbottom, whose deal is up at the end of the year.

Meanwhile, other drivers known to be out of contract for next year include Michael Caruso (Nissan Motorsport) and Lee Holdsworth (Preston Hire Racing).
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/07/12/de ... ight-move/

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Davison's got a slightly modified livery.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Scotty Mac takes his 9th pole of the year for todays V8 race at Ipswich.

Armor All Qualifying Race 19 Top 10: McLaughlin, Mostert, Coulthard, Reynolds, Kelly, Whincup, Caruso, SVG, Percat and Lowndes.

Mostert 2nd fastest is a form turnaround for Tickford... he has been quick in practice so not unexpected. SVG had his best lap traffic affected (by Mostert as it happens) but the Red Bulls were a bit off the pace anyway over one lap.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago
Mostert 2nd fastest is a form turnaround for Tickford... he has been quick in practice so not unexpected. SVG had his best lap traffic affected (by Mostert as it happens) but the Red Bulls were a bit off the pace anyway over one lap.
Mostert penalised for blocking SVG

Stewards deemed the Chaz impeded SVG at Turn 6 while the Red Bull Holden Racing Team driver was on a flying lap in Armor All qualifying.

Following an investigation officials have since handed down a sanction which will see Mostert demoted from second to fifth on the grid.

This leaves us now with an all Shell V Power front row.

Earlier on Whincup was pinged with a $1000 fine for not sticking to the pit lane protocol. One of the issues being in bay 1 I guess.

“Following a post-race DRD investigation and an admission by Car #1, Jamie Whincup of a Breach of Schedule B2 Article 6.6 (failed to exit Pit Lane wholly within the fast lane) the Stewards imposed a Fine of $1,000 with $500 suspended until 31/12/18,” read a stewards report.
Race starts in about15 mins. (16:15 local time)

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Warm up lap underway.....

39 lap race with one stop .

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Clean start for Scott leads.... big gain from SVG up to 4th.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

SVG now 3rd.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Whincup forced Mostert off track and Chaz drops to 8th behind Lowndes. A bit naughty from JW.
(Under investigation)