The "Fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary F***ing Poppins" GP of The British Empire

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

^^^yeah. +1

Just to getback to F1, re the Kimi 10 second penalty what do we think?

My thoughts are yes he deserved a penalty. He made an error and accepted it. As it transpired with the SCs at the end the 10 second penalty made no difference, but was it the right penalty?

Im not suggesting it was not a 10 second crime..... what I am questioning is whether it was twice as bad as the crime Vettel an d others had got given for a similar offence? Or others that were classed as racing incidents?

Was it because Kimi took out the local hero? Was it because Kimi is not one of the two leading title contenders?

I dont know the answers, but it smacks to me of gross FIA inconsistency. What are others thoughts on this?

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Can I say a mixture of all the above?

As for Ferruci, let's not forget Gene Haas has a particular habit of taking good for nothing rentagobs and turning them into fan favourites after they've seemingly thrown their careers down the toilet for various things (Kurt Busch for mouthing off, ageism, drunk driving, gbh etc. Kevin Harvick after mouthing off too about his boss's golden child grandson (his team mate) and Clint Bowyer for "does your arm itch" code for crash now cheat, Phoenix fight gate and a few other cheats), so maybe he'll send him to the NASCAR team or something, he'll fit in well there.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Re: Ferrucci, if it were for just the driving indiscretions yes we can discuss that in the Junior Formula thread. Yes his family's behaviour at F1 weekends, in an F1 junior series while representing an F1 team transcends a norm that we haven't seen before.. Hence why it is in this thread. Plus there are often posts in F1 race threads about watching junior series.

As for Kimi, he deserved the penalty. The penalty amount was correct. It was the penalty that Vettel served in Paul Ricard that was incorrect and no doubt that had a bearing on what was handed to Kimi. Who he hit and whether that person is / was a title contender or not should be irrelevant. But whatever the FIA stewards hand down will always be criticized as being too lenient, too hard or too inconsistent. Consistency doesn't exist.

Additionally about Kimi, I was rewatching some post race stuff last night. Firstly, he and Lewis in the cool down room were much of a muchness. Lewis and Seb shook hands but other than a brief glance in each other's directions, neither Lewis or Kimi attempted eye contact or acknowledgement. Lots of awkwardness (This just a week or so after Lewis was gushing over Kimi in another press conference where he said he used to drive as Kimi on Playstation games, only for Kimi to almost blank him. Equally awkward). And then there was Kimi's interview with Brundle he mumbled something about doing the best job he could but some people keep saying otherwise... Was this a swipe at Ferrari with the rumours around LeClerc? A swipe at the media who write negative things about him? Or something else?
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Ian-S wrote: 5 years ago Can I say a mixture of all the above?

As for Ferruci, let's not forget Gene Haas has a particular habit of taking good for nothing rentagobs and turning them into fan favourites after they've seemingly thrown their careers down the toilet for various things (Kurt Busch for mouthing off, ageism, drunk driving, gbh etc. Kevin Harvick after mouthing off too about his boss's golden child grandson (his team mate) and Clint Bowyer for "does your arm itch" code for crash now cheat, Phoenix fight gate and a few other cheats), so maybe he'll send him to the NASCAR team or something, he'll fit in well there.
Yes, this.

Plus with Mike Ferrucci being a Trump supporter, Bill France will have an opportunity to use Santino to boost NASCAR publicity.
myownalias
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Daniel Ricciardo
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Fusion (3.0L V6)

Post by myownalias »

I'm fashionably late to the party again, been on vacation, so you'll have to excuse my tardiness.

Here are my views on the British Grand Prix.

myownalias wrote:Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel took an impressive victory at Silverstone to extend his world championship lead over title rival Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton by a further seven points to lead the drivers championship by eight points going into the German’s home Grand Prix at the Hockenheimring in two weeks time.

The race started off with a bang, Vettel made a stonking start from second on the grid while polesitter Hamilton made a terrible start, dropping back to third by turn 1, losing out to Vettel and Mercedes teammate, Valtteri Bottas. Hamilton’s bad start was compounded at turn 3 when Vettel’s teammate Kimi Raikkonen made contact tipping him into a spin, dropping the Briton to the back of the pack.

I’d like to quickly talk about the disparity in performance between the top two teams, Mercedes and Ferrari and the rest of the field. For Hamilton to come from dead last to finish second is crazy, even if he was helped in this quest by his teammate moving aside for him in the closing laps. I remember in days of old, getting spun around and battling from the back meant a low points haul, but not today.

Hamilton was inside the top six by lap 11 for heaven’s sake, and this was with a supposed damaged car, according to his team radio messages. Raikkonen was also rapidly carving his way through the top 10 after serving his 10 second time penalty during his first pit stop, which is another point, inconsistent race stewardship, Vettel was given a five second time penalty in Austria for a very similar infraction.

Back to the race, the field was bunched up on lap 33 when the safety car was deployed to recover Marcus Ericsson’s Sauber. Ferrari elected to pit both Vettel and Raikkonen to switch to the softer yellow marked tire, while both Mercedes continued on with their medium tires, which really cost, race leader, Bottas in the closing stages as he succumbed to both Ferrari’s and had to yield 2nd place to teammate Hamilton.

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen was outperforming his car, running at high as 3rd, having an epic battle with Raikkonen for what was fifth place at the time, ended his race six laps from the chequered flag, spinning out in front of his teammate, Ricciardo who was closing on the Dutchman. Despite speculation from the commentators, there was no contact between the Red Bull drivers, instead, it was a brake issue for Max.

Overall, it was a bad weekend for Red Bull, they found themselves in a very distant fifth place, being really slow down the straights in comparison to Mercedes and Ferrari, something I alluded to earlier in this write-up. I heard some say that Red Bull was, even with DRS enabled, the same speed as Mercedes/Ferrari without DRS, meaning there was zero chance of defending against the top two teams.

After the race, Hamilton was being somewhat of a dick, in my view, walking away from the post-race interviews, I find this disgraceful, especially in front of the British crowd that adores him. Hamilton alluded to Ferrari using Raikkonen to try to compromise his race, using the term “interesting tactics”, squarely pointing the finger at Ferrari, when Martin Brundle caught up with him on the podium.

Is it possible that Ferrari tried to use “interesting tactics” in the race, yes, however, I think it’s unlikely, but the conspiracy nuts will be all over this, although I will end it there, you can make your own mind up?
Source: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/formula-1 ... 18-review/
myownaliasThe Englishman in KansasTwitter: @myownaliasFormula 1 Articles
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Great to read these reviews from @myownalias again! Thank you!! :)
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Thanks @my own alias for the report. Pretty well mirrors my own thoughts.
Agree re the Merc/ Ferrari dominance... best lap times just shy of 3 secs between the top four and Hulk in 6th is pretty ordinary. Despite the late SC compressing the field up the gap from Seb to Nico was almost 30 seconds at the flag. Hulk wasnt cruising at the end either, setting his fastest race laps in the run to the flag as Ocon was within a second of him.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

myownalias wrote: 5 years ago I'm fashionably late to the party again
Yeah, but at least you brought beer!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
myownalias
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Daniel Ricciardo
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Fusion (3.0L V6)

Post by myownalias »

I'm happy that, at least some of you enjoy my F1 ramblings.

And yes, I always bring beer, living in America, I have to provide my own beer to guarantee that I have an alcoholic beverage. :twisted:
myownaliasThe Englishman in KansasTwitter: @myownaliasFormula 1 Articles