Remembering the fallen

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

RIP Nobby Clark

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

With 2018 only minutes away, the sad news of Norma de Bidaphs passing have arrived here.

Teamleader of British Superbikes's Gearlink Kawasaki team, she ultimately lost the battle with cancer last night.

Rest in peace, Norma
:rip:

photo courtesy of mcn
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Very sad news. I knew she had been ill with a cancer battle but remained a larger than life figure in the paddock, and will be missed greatly by many who she helped forge their careers.
RIP Norma.

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Yesterday the sad news of the passing of German 'Mr. Superbike' Peter Rubatto, 62, made the round.
Nicknamed Mr. Superbike after having won the national championship of 1984 with 11 victories out of 12 races, Peter was the last German to score points in the TT F1 world championship on the Isle of Man. Peter is also the last lap record holder at the Sachsenring having averaged 188 km/h on the lap and having broken Agostinis record in the feature. Mr Superbike went on to become a pretty successful Macao GP competitor and at Daytona.

Peter was diagnosed with cancer late in 2017 and succumbed to it on 20th February 2018 to it.

Ride in peace, Mr. Superbike. Your achievements won't be forgotten.

"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

RIP Peter Rubatto :rip:

Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Historic racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312B
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx & all other old heroes
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife/ old Spa/ Schleiz

Post by Jacob »

Sad News
Luigi taveri is dying. he suffered a stroke on Saturday & isn´t able to communicate. His was always not to end in a wheelchair. So his family decided not to do a therapy.
"It´s not a matter of talent, it´s a matter of luck. Pure Luck:" - Jacky Ickx
Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Historic racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312B
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx & all other old heroes
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife/ old Spa/ Schleiz

Post by Jacob »

Yesterday Swiss Racing legend Luigi Taveri finished his last race. 2 weeks ago he suffered a stroke. He couldn't communicate anymore. His wish was always not to end in a wheel chair. So his family decided notto do a therapy. Now
Luigi Taveri
†1.3.2018
Taveri, youngest of 4 children of a poor family with Italian roots, first worked in the gravel factory of his father, while his elder brother Hans began wirh sidecar racing. Aged 14 Luigi learned riding a motorcycle. 1947 he was passenger of his brother. Luigi started his motorcycle racing career in 1953 on a 350cc in national races.
In the following years he tried himself on Norton, MZ, Moto Guzzi, Ducati & MV Agusta, but without big success.
He made his championship debut in 1954 on 250cc (Moto Guzzi) & 500cc (Norton). This year he also finished 6th as passenger of Hans Haldemann in the Sidecar Championship.
Since 1955 he started in every class of the Motorcycle World Championship.
With MV Agusta he was Vice-champion in 1955 & 57. But his Italian were preferred & got better material.
So his wife Tilde wrote a letter to Soichiro Honda in late 1960. In 1961 then he changed to Honda. They gave him 5 factory machines & some engines in 1963, because they didn't want to transport them from the Netherlands back to Japan. It would have landed in the sea.
Luigi became 125cc world champion in 1962, 1964 & 1966.
His last WC-race was at Monza 1966. Honda send him a 125cc 5 cylinder for 1967, but he wasn't allowed to take part in championship races.
He won 30 GPs, achieved 89 podiums & 3 victories at the IoMTT. He also won the Swiss Championship for 5 times. After his active career he was ambassador for Honda & was the owner of a bodywork shop.
His son Luigi jr. started a Trial career in the 1970s.
Until 2015 he took part in historic events. Taveri rode his Honda nearly every day
In 2006 he, Tilde & his daughter made a pilgrimage along the way of St. James with mountain bikes.
He left his wife Tilde & his children Bianca & Luigi jr.. He & Tilde were married for 63 years.
Luigi was a great, despite his length of 162cm. Fast, modest & successful.
He will be missed & well remembered.
By: Jacob/ Old_race_pic_stories
"It´s not a matter of talent, it´s a matter of luck. Pure Luck:" - Jacky Ickx
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

RIP Luigi Taveri

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

RIP Luigi

Photo courtesy of Baylon McCaughey
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Today the sad news arrived that Ralf Waldmann, aged 51 and twice vice world champion in the 250cc, succumbed to not closer known circumstances. It is reported, that Ralf went into his cellar to repair his central heating but didn't came back. When his wife looked after him, she found him dead. A heart attack is rumoured as the cause.

My heartfelt sympathies to his next of kin
Ride in peace, Ralf
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

RIP Ralf Waldmann

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Damn! RIP Ralf. Loved watching his 250cc exploits in the nineties, plus his win at Donington in 2000 is still astonishing to this day.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Forgot to add that Ralf now shares the same day of death with Barry Sheene and John Surtees.
A bit of random trivia but it is what is.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Remember the day of Barry's death well.... the Monday morning after the Australian F1 GP he was I am sure to have been the Grand Marshall of. He was a key player in the F1 GP admin board for many years.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Andy wrote: 6 years ago Forgot to add that Ralf now shares the same day of death with Barry Sheene and John Surtees.
A bit of random trivia but it is what is.
And that last win of Ralf’s at the 2000 British GP was 7 day’s after the death of Joey Dunlop.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

MotorsportMagazine wrote:Waldmann was one of the most successful riders never to win a world championship

It’s been one of those horrible weeks for motorcycling. First, journalist and broadcaster Henry Hope-Frost died in a road accident last Thursday. Henry worked mostly in the car world but had huge enthusiasm for motorcycles. “Half the wheels, twice fever,” he said. He shone brightly; he was the kind of guy you always looked forward to seeing again.

Motorcycle Grand Prix winner Ralf Waldmann, who died on Saturday from a suspected heart attack at the age of 51, was very much the same. Both were lovely men, with no edge to them.

Waldi was a tough racer who won 20 races during his 17-year Grand Prix career and should’ve won at least one world title, but luck always turned against him at the vital moment. The German was funny, emotional and always said exactly what he thought; usually quite loudly because he had a booming voice much bigger than his slight frame. He was completely unaffected by his success; he remained a normal bloke, no airs and graces like some paddock prima donnas.

Waldi came from an age when motorcycle Grand Prix riders had proper jobs before they went pro. He was a plumber by trade and started racing at the age of 20, aboard a humble Kawasaki AR80. He made his Grand Prix debut the following year, in the short-lived 80cc class. He made his name during the 1990s in the 125cc and 250cc categories. He won his first GP at Hockenheim on May 26 1991, beating fellow Honda RS125 rider Loris Capirossi by three-tenths of a second. That was quite a day for the thronged grandstands of German fans, because an hour or so later Helmut Bradl destroyed everyone in the 250 race.

In 1992 Waldi ran away with the 125cc World Championship, scoring three wins and another podium at the first four races. But then everything went awry. His team self-destructed, his mechanics erupting into fisticuffs in the pitlane. Without a united crew behind him, he slumped to third overall.

In 1994 he was promoted to the 250 class, aboard a factory Honda NSR250, backed by German HB cigarette money. He won his first 250 GP at Mugello, after a great battle with Capirossi and Tetsuya Harada. Three years later he was in the thick of the title fight, this time backed by Marlboro money. A superb victory at Catalunya, where he recovered from a run through the gravel to beat Max Biaggi, put him into the points lead with two races to go. And then disaster… he chose the wrong tyre at the penultimate race and ended the year a tantalising two points short of Biaggi. He had also finished the previous year a close second to Biaggi, just four points down, after missing the first race due to a broken wrist. If only… if only…

In 1998 Waldi contested the 500cc world championship with Team Roberts, riding the British-based team’s three-cylinder Modenas. The highlight of that year was Brno, where Waldi put the far-from-developed Modenas on the front row, alongside the Honda NSR500s of Mick Doohan and Max Biaggi. After qualifying Waldi and ‘King’ Kenny embraced in the Team Roberts garage – two loud, crazy little guys who loved motorcycle racing.

These were Waldmann’s greatest days as a racer, but he made his biggest headline in July 2000 at Donington Park, where he came from miles behind to overtake leader Olivier Jacque on the run to the finish line of the 250 race. The changeable weather had convinced most riders to choose intermediate tyres. Waldmann gambled on full wets and fell back as the race started and the track dried. At half-distance he was near the back, 90 seconds behind the leader. He had obviously made the wrong tyre choice. And then the rain returned. By the start of the final lap he was up to third place, with the leader still barely in sight. But while Jacque slithered around on slicks, Waldmann charged through to win by three-tenths of a second.

After the race he was asked if he was a hero. Waldmann’s reply was typical of the man. “When I started on wet tyres I was an idiot. Then when it rained and I could win, I was a hero. The difference between hero and idiot is very small.”

Following another particularly gritty performance, Waldmann was asked by press conference host Michael Scott if he was mad. “Yes,” Waldi beamed, “I am mad!” Then he pointed at Scott and said, “you are also mad.” Then he pointed at the rest of the audience, adding “and they are mad”. Finally, with a look of glorious epiphany in his eyes, he added, “we are all mad!”.

Waldi was always a genial interviewee. In 2002 I wrote a story titled, “I’m a loser baby, so why don’t you kill me,” after a song by the great Beck. My idea was to interview those riders who had come achingly close to winning a world championship without quite getting there. I wanted to examine the potentially life-ruining psychological horror that might come with such failure.

First, I interviewed Randy Mamola, four times 500cc championship runner-up during the 1980s. Next came Aaron Slight, twice World Superbike runner-up in the late 1990s. Finally, Waldmann, twice 250cc runner-up and twice third overall in the 125 Championship.

Waldi had retired at the end of 2000 but he found himself unsuited to life in the slow lane. He made a comeback two years later, riding a privateer Aprilia RS250, struggling to make ends meet. I talked to him at Assen, where he had previously won 125cc and 250cc GP victories. But this time was no motorhome, no team artic and no Champagne. The interview was conducted in the back of his van: him sat on a pile of tyres, me on a drum of fuel.

I wondered aloud if the phrase “the most successful rider in history never to win a world championship,” lulled him to sleep every night, like some kind of Satan’s lullaby.

“No, no, this is all behind me!” he said brightly.

We then discussed the problems and the ill luck that cost him a world title.

“If you look for reasons, you find them,” he said, suddenly overcome by gloom. “Before 1997 it was brilliant with the money, with the stuff we got, but then we lost our sponsor and it was really shitty, because we didn’t have enough money. We had a minimum of budget and only one bike… Max had two bikes.”

At this point I noticed a slight tremble in Waldi’s voice; he was starting to well up. I felt bad, but I kept asking questions: so it does still affect you, then?

“Little bit, yes,” he trembled, rubbing his swollen, watery eyes. “Doesn’t matter, it’s true, so no problem. I live with that or I don’t live with that.”

I felt like giving him a hug, but instead I feebly proffered a few kinder words: Ralf, you had a great career!

“Ja, ja, ja!”

And you were really popular…

“Ja, ja, ja, and I had so much fun when I made races.”

My final attempt at cheering him up came from the heart: so Ralf, if you had the choice of being a nice guy without a world championship, or an asshole with a world championship, which would you choose?

Suddenly he was in hysterics.

“Ha, ha! Ja, ja, ja! It’s better being a nice guy and not a world champion, he said, grinning broadly and rubbing his puffy eyes.

“I don’t know, maybe I was not lucky enough to get a title, or maybe I’m not fighting enough, or maybe a funny guy like I am, maybe I’m not strong enough. World titles is what every racer looks for, but I had so many nice races and I won 20 times, so I must keep this in my memory, not one title. For sure one title would be nice but the wins are also very important, I think.”

In full retirement Waldi was one of those ex-racers who never seemed entirely at peace without the thrill of racing in his life. He stayed heavily involved in the sport, making a one-off 250 return at Donington in 2009, working for MZ’s short-lived Moto2 team, tuning two-strokes and working for German Eurosport.

RIP Ralf. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.