2018 Bathurst 12 Hour.

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2018 Bathurst 12 Hour.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

2018 Bathurst 12 hour.

Interest is already running over the Aussie season opener event that has proved to be such a success internationally since its adaptation to GT regs. Just 52 days to go. Again there is a plethora of international drivers keen to sample 12 hours of the mountain in Southern Hemisphere summer conditions.. Being part of the Inter Continental GT Challenge, along with the Spa 24 Hour, Suzuka 10 hour and California 8 Hour also adds to the draw..

The latest inclusion is for BMW, with news that factory drivers Timo Glock and Philipp Eng will join Steven Richards in a BMW Team SRM entry. Porsche are already in, and will go all-out for victory in the 2018 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour, confirming a factory-supported team will contest the race.

The race will be run on its traditional weekend of February 2, 3 and 4 in 2018, a date which suits due to the lack of other committments to internationals and locals alike. Plus it gives us fans something to look forward to after the Christmas break.

Still early days yet and not entry list released as yet. but expect a grid of over 50 cars (last year was 52)

TV Commercial / promo for 2018.

Last years review:

As usual the event website is : http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au for all news, reviews and also videos of past years.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I have to add this clip, the last few laps of the 2014 race, between the ex Allan Simonsen Ferrari of Craig Lowndes, John Bowe and Mika Salo battling the Mercedes SLS of Maximilian Buhk Thomas Jäger and Primat for the win. Brilliant racing . A must watch. I remember watching it live and shouting at the TV as I sat on the edge of my seat. John Hindaugh commentating was of similar excitement level! What a finish after 12 hours. :bow:

Talking of the sadly no longer with us great Dane, Alan Simonsen, it is fitting to post an onboard of this qualifying lap..... at the time the fastest ever lap of Mt Panorama. (the Pole position trophy is now named as the Allan Simonsen Trophy in his honour.)

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 years ago
Still early days yet and not entry list released as yet. but expect a grid of over 50 cars (last year was 52)
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/news/4 ... rmed-2018/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 6 years ago
Still early days yet and no entry list released as yet. but expect a grid of over 50 cars (last year was 52)
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/news/4 ... rmed-2018/
Looks good seeing as that article boasts of already 40+ received and it was dated in September. Entries officially close on Friday AFAIK so no doubt an updated list will be available soon.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This is not much interest to non Aussies, but for us locals the event will be broadcast live in its entirety on Channel 7.

Of more interest to you 'foreigners' ( :wink: ) the following press release mentions a live stream running but at this stage I dont know if this is Australian residents only or if it is an international stream. In the past there has always been an International stream as well so I am sure this year will be no different given the International interest in the event. The feed is available only on the bathurst 12 hour website which to me indicates ok for international use.
February’s Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour will again have live free to air television coverage across Australia.
Sunday’s race will be shown in its entirety on 7mate while coverage of Saturday afternoon’s Top 10 Shootout will also be broadcast live.

The on-screen team will be led by Mark Beretta, with Radio Le Mans’ John Hindhaugh and Graham Goodwin joined by Richard Craill in commentary.
Beretta, Chad Neylon, and Shea Adam will provide pit lane and paddock coverage along with 7 News’ Alex Hart
The telecast is set to start at 0530 AEDT on Sunday ahead of the 0545 race start, with the Top 10 Shootout commencing at 1600 on Saturday.

Coverage will be simulcast online via a live stream on the Bathurst 12 Hour website, while a one-hour post-produced highlights show will also be aired following the event.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Of more interest to you 'foreigners' ( :wink: ) the following press release mentions a live stream running but at this stage I dont know if this is Australian residents only or if it is an international stream. In the past there has always been an International stream as well so I am sure this year will be no different given the International interest in the event. The feed is available only on the bathurst 12 hour website which to me indicates ok for international use.
If anything they'll probably block it in Australia, Channel 7 wouldn't want us missing out on their several hours of ads.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The provisional entry list has been released (and apparently there are still a few more entries to come). 31 GT3s, 13 GT4s (a new record), 11 invitational entries (including the new faster MARC cars) and five Carrera Cup cars will be making up a total entry of 60 cars so far. :thumbsup:

http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/news/e ... -bathurst/
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I'll be honest, I didnt know about this race :blush:

So this is something completely different than the Bathrust 1000? (Except it runs at the same track)

The early morning start is unusual. But the field number is impressive.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Yes, it's a GT race not a touring car race (although it began as a production touring car race, a category which is now served by the Bathurst 6 Hour which runs about two months later). There are some similarities, mainly that there are naturally many of the same drivers as well as that it is run by the same people as the 1000.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Antonov wrote: 6 years ago I'll be honest, I didnt know about this race :blush:

So this is something completely different than the Bathrust 1000? (Except it runs at the same track)

The early morning start is unusual. But the field number is impressive.
In my mind it has now become the #1 event at Bathurst, even better than the 1000 klms race in October. It boasts some fantastic racing with iconic cars and of course the added benefit of a 6am dark start adds to the spectacle with spectacular sunrises on the mountain making a great backdrop. There is something about seeing glowing brake discs in semi darkness.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 6 years ago The provisional entry list has been released (and apparently there are still a few more entries to come). 31 GT3s, 13 GT4s (a new record), 11 invitational entries (including the new faster MARC cars) and five Carrera Cup cars will be making up a total entry of 60 cars so far. :thumbsup:

http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/news/e ... -bathurst/
An impressive array of cars looking at that entry list. nut noticeably no entry from previous winners Marinello Motorsport or for that matter previous winners Nissan.

The only Ferrari entry is a (Kiwi) privately entered 458. Also no Walkinshaw Racing Porsche (the car that that took out the Class A amateur honours this year.)

Mind you the organisers are saying that "Entries remain open for a day and we are expecting a few high-profile additions to the current list before the final grid is settled."

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Provisional entry list B12h.

Class A (FIA GT3)

1 International Motorsport Audi R8 LMS
2 Industrie Racing Audi R8 Ultra LMS
3 Audi Sport Customer Racing Audi R8 LMS
4 Audi Sport Customer Racing Audi R8 LMS
5 Audi Sport Customer Racing Audi R8 LMS
6 Audi Sport Customer Racing Audi R8 LMS
7 Audi Sport Customer Racing Audi R8 LMS
8 Audi Sport Customer Racing Audi R8 LMS
9 WRT Audi R8 LMS
10 WRT Aud R8 LMS
11 Bentley Team M-Sport Bentley Continental GT3
12 Bentley Team M-Sport Bentley Continental GT3
13 BMW Team SRM BMW M6 GT3
14 BMW Team Schnitzer BMW M6 GT3
15 BMW Team SRM BMW M6 GT3
16 Trass Family Motorsport Ferrari 458 Italia
17 Lago Racing Lamborghini Gallardo R-EX
18 Safe-T-Stop Lamborghini Gallardo GT3
19 Trofeo Motorsport Lamborghini Hurracan
20 Objective Racing Mclaren 650S GT3
21 Alex Franes Mclaren 650S GT3
22 Alex Franes Mclaren 650S GT3
23 Scott Taylor Motorsport Mercedes AMG GT GT3
24 Scott Taylor Motorsport Mercedes AMG GT GT3
25 Nineteen Corp P/L Mercedes AMG GT GT3
26 Mercedes-AMG Team Strakka Racing Mercedes AMG GT GT3
27 Mercedes-AMG Team Strakka Racing Mercedes AMG GT GT3
28 To Be Announced Mercedes AMG GT GT3
29 Manthey-Racing Porsche 911 GT3 R
30 Competition Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R
31 Black Swan Racing Porsche 911 GT3 R

Class B – (Porsche 911 GT3 Cup)

32 Team Carrera Cup Asia Porsche GT3 Cup
33 On Track Motorsport Porsche GT3 Cup
34 Grove Motorsport Pty Ltd Porsche GT3 Cup
35 DRM TeamWrightlands Porsche GT3 Cup
36 Wall Racing Porsche GT3 Cup

Class C (FIA GT4)

37 BMW Team SRM BMW M4 GT4
38 Baigent Racing Ltd BMW M4 GT4
39 Boat Works Racing BMW M4 GT4
40 To be announced – USA BMW M4 GT4
41 Ginetta Australia Ginetta Ginetta G55 GT4
42 Ginetta Australia Ginetta Ginetta G55 GT4
43 Ginetta Australia Ginetta Ginetta G55 GT4
44 Ginetta Australia Ginetta Ginetta G55 GT4
45 M Motorsport P/L KTM X-Bow GT4
46 KTM / M Motorsport KTM X-Bow GT4
47 Brookspeed International Motorsport Porsche Cayman GT4 CS
48 Brookspeed International Motorsport Porsche Cayman GT4 CS
49 Prosport Performance GABH Porsche Cayman

Class I (Invitation)

50 Daytona Sportscars Daytona Coupe
51 Daytona Sportscars Dodge Viper
52 MARC Cars Australia MARC Focus V8
53 MARC Cars Australia MARC Mazda V8
54 MARC Cars Australia MARC Mazda V8
55 MARC Cars Australia MARC Mazda V8
56 MARC Cars Australia MARC Mazda V8
57 Geoff Taunton MARC Focus V8
58 MARC Cars Australia MARC II V8
59 MARC Cars Australia MARC II V8
60 MARC Cars Australia MARC II V8

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/12/1 ... -hour.html

No Ferrari, no Nissan.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hoping for a Bentley win. :fingers:

They have nominated their 6 drivers squad for the two cars. Five of the six existing drivers from this years race will return, while 2017 Bathurst podium finisher Oliver Jarvis departs the team and will be replaced by young French rising star, Jules Gounon.

Le Mans winner Guy Smith, Steven Kane, Vincent Abril, Maxime Soulet and Andy Soucek all return .

Only a few teams have nominated drivers at this stage, but The Schnitzer BMW M6 GT3 entry features a mix of Australian and BMW works drivers, with Chaz Mostert (who raced an M6 GT3 in the Macau GT race last month) to be joined by double DTM champion Marco Wittmann and Brazilian Augusto Farfus. IIt is the first time Schnitzer have been to Bathurst in a while, namely the 1987 Bathurst 1000 when it was part of the World Touring Car Championship calendar.
(The team then ran a pair of BMW M3s for Emanuele Pirro and Roberto Raviglia while the sister car of Markus Oesterich and the late Roland Ratzenberger failed to finish.)

The Steve Richards owned M6 GT3 Team SRM M6 GT3 driver line-up will be 4 times the 1000k winner Steve Richards himself, joined by ex-Formula 1 driver Timo Glock, and Blancpain Endurance Cup race winner Phillip Eng.

More driver line ups will no doubt follow soon.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

The drivers; Who’s where so far during the Liqui Moly Bathurst 12HR?

THE 2018 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour entry list released last week sets the scene for a thrilling race between some of the best brands in the world – but who’s going to be behind the wheel?

A busy week of announcements last week put in place several key pieces in the driver puzzle; though there’s still holes to fill.

Despite the gaps, there’s already some of the best and brightest from the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship, while the big brands have drawn on significant factory firepower to bolster their squads already – with many more to come, we suspect.

With that in mind, here’s a rundown of who are already confirmed starters for the February 2-4 event, and who is yet to lock in their plans.

Already it makes for tasty reading – and you can be bet it will get stronger yet when some of the yet-to-be announced combinations are made public.

That we promise..

Audi

NUMERICALLY, Audi are the most well-represented brand in the GT3 class yet only one of the 10 R8s entered has had a combination announced.

That trio – Marc Cini, Lee Holdsworth and Dean Fiore – will drive Cini’s Hallmarc entry which will be one of a fleet of cars from Audi Sport Customer Racing Australia.

The Troy Russell-led squad is yet to confirm any other pairings, though you can expect several of them to pack a significant punch. Both Jamec-Pem Racing entries, for example, featured fully professional driving squads this year.

The other two Audi’s are the pair entered by Belgium-based outfit WRT. If there were a betting market on drivers, the odds on both of their cars featuring driver combinations with race-winning potential would be ridiculously short. WRT tend to not enter races they don’t believe they can win.

Bentley

BACK for another crack at an elusive Bathurst win, Bentley confirmed much of their existing squad would return in 2018 save for Ollie Jarvis being replaced by young Frenchman, Jules Gounon. That means Guy Smith, Steven Kane, Any Soucek, Maxime Soulet and Vincent Abril will all be back.

Though they are yet to announce formal combinations, you would be hard pressed to split up the Smith / Kane combination that has finished fourth, third and third in the last three 12-hour encounters on the Mountain.

BMW

FIREPOWER is the name of the game here, with both the BMW Team SRM entry and the Schnitzer car featuring a mix of local and international, factory talent to give the German brand their best shot at a first Bathurst enduro victory since 1997.

Steven Richards will have Timo Glock and Phillip Eng in his car, while Schnizter has plumbed for Chaz Mostert – already a Bathurst winner over six hours and 1000km – and DTM stars Marco Wittman and Augusto Farfus.

Glock and Wittmann were both part of BMWs attack this year so will be as fast as anybody, while Eng and Farfus won’t take long to get up to speed.

Ferrari

NEW ZEALAND’s Trass Family Motorsport has had a spread of talented drivers in their 458 GT3 in recent New Zealand races but there is yet to be word on who will be coming to Bathurst.

Lamborghini

SOLID combinations have already been announced for the raging bull, notably the consistent pairing of Steve Owen and David Russell in Roger Lago’s JBS Racing Gallardo R-EX. The Black Beauty may be getting a bit old now but, remember, it wasn’t long ago that this car was qualifying at the pointy-end, let alone strong finishes in the last few years.

Trofeo Motorsport have locked in the same combination as this year too, with Jim Manolios joined by Dean Canto, Ryan Miller and Ivan Capelli.

Richard Gartner is yet to fully confirm who will join him in the bright yellow Safe-T-Stop car, but we keep hearing the name ‘David Wall’ thrown about, which would make it a very feisty combination indeed.

McLaren

OBJECTIVE Racing were quick to confirm that Tony Walls would be joined by Jaxon Evans, Warren Luff and Tim Slade in 2018, instantly asserting themselves as Pro/Am class contenders early in the piece and, should all go to plan on race day, a possible outright threat too.

Much speculation has hovered around the pair of YNA Autosport McLarens that appeared on the entry list last Friday – and will continue until they make a formal announcement. That speculation suspects McLaren, however, will return to being a force on the Mountain next year – so we watch this space with interest.

Mercedes AMG

SIX AMG GT3s make for plenty of grunt from the German brand – as does the Max Twigg / Tony D’Alberto / Craig Baird combination Scott Taylor Motorsport has announced for their lead car. It’s a good combination, too.

Strakka Racing announced Cameron Waters would lead their first entry announced, a handy signing for his Bathurst miles even if he hasn’t done a heap of GT3 racing. He will be joined by Nick Leventis, Lewis Williamson and David Fumanelli in the lead Strakka car. That trio are experienced GT drivers but it remains a hard combination to predict results for at this early point.

Drivers for the second Strakka, second STM and Ninteen Corp – that’s Mark Griffith’s car – entries are yet to be confirmed.

One additional AMG GT3 was announced on Friday however a team affiliation or entrant was not named, adding an air of mystery to the AMG arsenal..

Porsche

IT is amazing to consider that Porsche have never won any of the Bathurst ‘majors’ – however 2018 could be their year.

Manthey Racing will come with Dirk Werner, Romain Dumas and Fred Makowiecki aboard their entry and you suspect that is a combination they would have quite happily thrown in one of their 919 Hybrids at LeMans this year should they have had enough cars.

Black Swan Racing will make their debut and could be contenders based on the driver roster the announced several months ago. Tim Pappas has endurance experience aplenty, as does Jeroen Bleekemolen – who adds Bathurst miles to that mix. Black Swan announced David Calvert-Jones would be involved in their team though given his own outfit – Competition Motorsports – will be back in 2018 we don’t know if he’ll drive for his own team or not. Watch this space for both that, and who else is in the Competition Car which was a podium finisher this year.

Class B

OF the five Porsche’s in Class B, we know two combinations so far.

Two-time race winners Grove Racing will have the father-son combination of Stephen and Brenton Grove to be joined by Ben Barker – a familiar face to the team and indeed the race.

Meanwhile, Team Porsche Carrera Cup Asia will have Paul Tresidder, Chris van der Drift, Even Chen and Andrew Tang in their squad with each representing the Asian one-make category.

Danny Stuttered and Sam Fillmore have been confirmed in their Ash Seward-prepared car, though a third driver has not yet been named.

Class C

THIRTEEN GT4 cars are on the grid for 2018 and it’s set to be an incredible battle – though only the works KTMs have announced drivers.

Their first car will be piloted by Justin McMillan, Tim Macrow, David Crampton and Caitlin Wood; a unique blend of experience in the car, the race, the sport in general and with KTMs specifically.

The sister car has Glen Wood, Trent Harrison and Cody Hill and it should make for fascinating inter-team combination.

Class I

DAYTONA Sports Cars locked in their drivers late last week, just before the entry list was released.

Ben Schoots, Adam Macrow and Michael Caine will steer the Dodge Viper, while Jamie Augustine, Dylan Thomas and Rhys Howell will be behind the wheel of the enormously popular Daytona Coupe.

MARC Cars Australia will bring close to 30 drivers for their remarkable eight-strong campaign, surely one of the biggest ever mounted on a Bathurst enduro by a single team / brand. Expect their roster – or most of it – this week.
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/news/drivers-whos-far/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 6 years ago
Mercedes AMG

SIX AMG GT3s make for plenty of grunt from the German brand – as does the Max Twigg / Tony D’Alberto / Craig Baird combination Scott Taylor Motorsport has announced for their lead car. It’s a good combination, too.
And in the second Scott Taylor AMG Mercedes we have Jamie Whincup (who won last year in a Ferrari with Lowndes and Vilander). JW is paired in a Pro-Am entry alongside US-based Australian Kenny Habul and former IndyCar driver Tristan Vautier. It will be run under the banner of Habul’s SunEnergy1 Racing moniker used in the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship.

Whincup also confirmed that the Marinello Motorsport Ferrari is not running this year due to a lack of budget.