CAMS bans Stadium Super Trucks

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

CAMS bans Stadium Super Trucks

Post by theracer120 »

Gordon to appear in court after Super Trucks incident

Robby Gordon is set to appear in a Darwin court today after being charged with dangerous driving following a Super Truck hooning incident in the Northern Territory city, Speedcafe.com has learned.

Footage has emerged of a Super Truck, driven by Gordon, performing burnouts and driving wildly on Mitchell Street during a promotional event at Lizards Bar on Saturday night.

The former IndyCar and NASCAR driver has been summoned to appear in Darwin Local Court today.

Northern Territory Police have impounded the truck, which was raced by Matthew Brabham during the weekend, for at least 48 hours under anti-hooning legislation.

The Stadium Super Trucks were on the support bill of the CrownBet Darwin Triple Crown Supercars event at Hidden Valley Raceway.
from here: http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/19/gor ... -incident/

UPDATE: he's been given a $4000 AUD fine (http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/19/gor ... -incident/)
Last edited by theracer120 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Did they confiscate the car for the Sunday race? I did not see the race on Sunday so dont know if Matt Brabham featured.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I didn't see it either so I have no idea.

CAMS is not impressed with this whole situation, and it looks like he's already pissed them off before. I'm curious to find out what the safety regs he breached at Adelaide were.
The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport has moved to block Robby Gordon from attaining a future competition visa required to compete in Australia following a hooning incident in Darwin.

The decision from CAMS could threaten the future of Stadium Super Trucks series in Australia, with the series owned by Gordon, who also regular competes in the category.

CAMS has confirmed this morning it is launching its own investigation into last weekend’s incident that saw Gordon yesterday plead guilty to four traffic charges at Darwin Local Court and fined $4,150.

The former IndyCar and NASCAR driver performed burnouts in Darwin city’s entertainment precinct on Saturday night.

CAMS described Gordon’s behaviour as ‘inexcusable’ electing to block the American’s application for future competition visa on health and safety grounds.

CEO Eugene Arocca said such antics would not be tolerated in Australia.

“With CAMS actively engaging more than ever with local communities, government, and corporate Australia to grow and promote our sport, so-called ‘hoon’ behaviour on public roads is not reflective of our values, nor our member base, and will not be tolerated,” said Arocca.

“It is unfortunate that such actions have taken place after an otherwise professional and well organised event at Hidden Valley Raceway, and such behaviour is not reflective of the organising committee of that event or Supercars.

“We are disappointed that this incident is not demonstrative of the requisite level of professionalism demanded by modern motor sport.

“As a signatory of the global FIA Action for Road Safety campaign, we believe our CAMS licence holders, volunteers, circuits and car clubs – including our board and staff – uphold responsible conduct on our public roads.”

Gordon was fined more than $1,800 by CAMS during the Clipsal 500 event for a breach of four safety regulations.

Speedcafe.com understands he was forced to apologise to the governing body for allegedly publicly burning his fines.

article from here:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/20/cam ... tion-visa/
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Good job they didn't ban F1 when Lewis did those burnouts... oh right they can't.

Sounds like a case of someone getting angry because they think they have to rather than just saying "this is a matter between Mr Gordon and the authorities, of which we do not condone his behavour" until such time as more angry notions are needed.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

What the hell is hooning? A friend of mine was fined AUD$500 for moving her mobile phone to one part of the car to another by Aussie police last year. I think "Nazis" would describe what I think of them.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

PTRACER wrote: 6 years ago What the hell is hooning?
"to behave in a loudish way, especially by driving recklessly".

CAMS are probably pissed off that their PR department didn't get to be involved.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

PTRACER wrote: 6 years ago What the hell is hooning? A friend of mine was fined AUD$500 for moving her mobile phone to one part of the car to another by Aussie police last year. I think "Nazis" would describe what I think of them.
was she driving?
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

during a promotional event at Lizards Bar on Saturday night.

A planned promotional event! What part don't the stupid fucking cops not understand?
The former IndyCar and NASCAR driver performed burnouts in Darwin city’s entertainment precinct on Saturday night.

CAMS described Gordon’s behaviour as ‘inexcusable

[/It b] was entertainment.
Fuck 'em Robby you can afford the $4000 and you don't need them at all.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

lol, I think this is funny. Somehow quintessential Robby Gordon.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Cheeveer wrote: 6 years ago lol, I think this is funny. Somehow quintessential Robby Gordon.
Ah, reminds of New Hamspire (2003?) when he tossed his helmet at someone, or whatever. Jimmy Spencer, perhaps?

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

strad wrote: 6 years ago
during a promotional event at Lizards Bar on Saturday night.

A planned promotional event! What part don't the stupid fucking cops not understand?
I don't think the burnouts were supposed to be part of the promotional event at all... as I understand it they took the truck to the event but it wasn't going to be driven. Robby then decided at the event to ask a security guard if he could go for a quick spin in it. Someone videoed it and the rest is history.

Clearly Robby had no permission from the actual authorities (i.e. the police) to do some donuts in the street, hence why it was illegal. Australian police are pretty anal about "traffic offences" but I don't think the result would have been any different elsewhere under these circumstances (unless there is a place where you can do donuts in an unregistered and non-road legal race car on a public road without permission and not be committing an illegal act - if so, I'd like to go there :haha: )
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

John wrote: 6 years ago
Cheeveer wrote: 6 years ago lol, I think this is funny. Somehow quintessential Robby Gordon.
Ah, reminds of New Hamspire (2003?) when he tossed his helmet at someone, or whatever. Jimmy Spencer, perhaps?
Ah, it was New Hampshire, 2005, and Michael Waltrip.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

If it was a promo event and there was no danger to traffic, most cops here, most likely just doing security, would laugh it off... probably enjoy it. ;)
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Robby Gordon was unbanned earlier in the week.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2017/10/12/ro ... s-apology/
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

erwin greven wrote: 6 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 6 years ago What the hell is hooning? A friend of mine was fined AUD$500 for moving her mobile phone to one part of the car to another by Aussie police last year. I think "Nazis" would describe what I think of them.
was she driving?
Yeah, if she was driving then tough shit, she wasn't concentrating on driving.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.