2018 banter & silly season thread for MotoGP, Moto2 & Moto3

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

2018 banter & silly season thread for MotoGP, Moto2 & Moto3

Post by kals »

Time for a 2018 banter thread then? Why do I ask? Jack Miller will replace Scott Redding at Pramac next year, riding a 2017 Ducati alongside Danilo Petrucci who will have a 2018 machine. Redding could go back to Marc VDS.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 6 years ago Time for a 2018 banter thread then? Why do I ask? Jack Miller will replace Scott Redding at Pramac next year, riding a 2017 Ducati alongside Danilo Petrucci who will have a 2018 machine. Redding could go back to Marc VDS.
I'm not at all impressed by Miller this season, despite of the fact that he seems to stay upright more this year. Where are the top Moto2-boys headed?
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

John wrote: 6 years ago
kals wrote: 6 years ago Time for a 2018 banter thread then? Why do I ask? Jack Miller will replace Scott Redding at Pramac next year, riding a 2017 Ducati alongside Danilo Petrucci who will have a 2018 machine. Redding could go back to Marc VDS.
I'm not at all impressed by Miller this season, despite of the fact that he seems to stay upright more this year. Where are the top Moto2-boys headed?
I've never been impressed with Jack Miller, even before he joined MotoGP.

Morbidelli will be on the MotoGP grid in 2018. I can't remember who he's signed with though.

EDIT - Morbidelli will be staying with MarcVDS for his graduation to MotoGP. Tito Rabat is expected to join Avintia Ducati for 2018.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I'm not sure how we missed this news but Barcelona was at threat from losing its place on the 2018 calendar following the chicane debacle during this year's race weekend and complaints from riders about the grip of the tarmac. Barcelona will retain its place on the calendar after agreeing to the following updates:

- a complete resurfacing of the track (brought forward by 1-2 years, first resurfacing since 2007)
- extension of run-off at turn 12 (where Salom had his accident) including moving the grandstand and replacing tarmac apron with gravel
- going back to the original track layout, not using the chicane before the final corner
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

kals wrote: 6 years ago - going back to the original track layout, not using the chicane before the final corner
Can we have that for F1, please?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 6 years ago I'm not sure how we missed this news but Barcelona was at threat from losing its place on the 2018 calendar following the chicane debacle during this year's race weekend and complaints from riders about the grip of the tarmac. Barcelona will retain its place on the calendar after agreeing to the following updates:

- a complete resurfacing of the track (brought forward by 1-2 years, first resurfacing since 2007)
- extension of run-off at turn 12 (where Salom had his accident) including moving the grandstand and replacing tarmac apron with gravel
- going back to the original track layout, not using the chicane before the final corner
Well done by Dorna for putting the necessary pressure on Barcelona and making them (finally) agree to these much needed updates.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I agree with you both. And interestingly enough, I think it was one of Mat Oxley's recent articles that suggested the expense of the new motogp chicane could have been better spent on expanding and improving the run off at turn 12... so basically what they'll be doing now!
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 6 years ago I agree with you both. And interestingly enough, I think it was one of Mat Oxley's recent articles that suggested the expense of the new motogp chicane could have been better spent on expanding and improving the run off at turn 12... so basically what they'll be doing now!
Illuminati confirmed.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

For sure, look at the facts. Circuit de Catalunya is built into the top of a hill. A hill is effectively a triangle. The circuit is the eye in the triangle. This = illuminati
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Alvaro Bautista has re-signed with Aspar Ducati for 2018. Apparently he had an offer to go back to Aprilia for next season. That doesn't sound good for Sam Lowes.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

It appears time is running out for both Sam Lowes and Scott Redding's plans for the 2018 MotoGP season. Redding has been offered a customer Ducati WSBK while there is still a possibility of him rejoining MarcVDS. He is sarying that the final decision appears out of his hands. Lowes has been given firm instruction by Aprilia to prove himself over the next two rounds, although there appears to be no competition from other riders for the second Aprilia seat for 2018.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I do hope Lowes shapes up. I really do think he has the talent to be on the Aprilia next year as well. But he has to stop being a one-man wrecking crew. His problem right now is that he can't seem to get his head around the bike. He can't get it working so he over-drives it and wrecks it.

Redding has an off year. But he's more deserving than say Karel Abraham.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Sam Lowes did his cause no good at Brno today when he crashed in practice and has had stitches in a foot injury. To add insult to injury (literally) as he finished FP2 22nd /23 and team-mate, Aleix Espargaró, finished FP2 in ninth position.
Sam Lowes was given stitches in his foot after crashing out of second practice for the Czech Grand Prix, but does not expect it to cause a "big problem".

Lowes, under pressure to keep his Aprilia ride, went off at Turn 10 with around a minute left on the clock, initially appearing to escape injury as he walked away from the scene unaided.

However, after the session, Lowes visited the paddock-based Clinica Mobile, where his right foot was stitched up, after it struck the footpeg during the incident.

Lowes was 17th fastest in a rain-affected first practice, and ended up 22nd out of 23 runners in the second session, having crashed while pushing to improve on the Soft tyre.

"When I crashed I hit the footpeg with the outside of my right foot," said Lowes, who shook his head in frustration as he left his damaged bike and headed behind the barriers.

"They gave me stitches in the Clinica, but it won't be a big problem for the weekend.

"Besides the fall, I am really pleased with the way we started. I was fast in both sessions. The team did a great job during the break [and] the package we have here is really a step forward.

"Only having done one session on the dry track, we still have room to improve. I did my best time with the Medium tyre, but I crashed with the Soft, so I can't wait to get back on the track."

Lowes' team-mate, Aleix Espargaró, finished FP2 in ninth position.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Looks like Phillip Island is likely to lose its popular pre season MotoGP/2/3 testing slot for 2018 in favour of Thailand’s Buriram circuit
Phillip Island is set to lose its place on MotoGP’s pre-season test schedule to Thailand’s Buriram circuit.
Thailand is widely expected to be added to what would become a 19-race MotoGP calendar in 2018, taking up a late season slot during the flyaway rounds in Australia, Japan, and Malaysia.
However, teams have suggested that Buriram, which is already a World Superbikes venue, will also take up the winter testing slot currently held by Phillip Island.
Sepang is set to remain as the first test of the year, currently pencilled in for January 28-30, before teams head on to Buriram for the second test on February 16-18.
The third and final test will take place in Qatar on March 1-3 ahead of the opening round of the season at the Losail track on March 18, a week earlier than this year.
:sorrow:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I don't mind the Buriram circuit, it is quite nice compared to some of the other newfangled circuits out there. This is probably a commercial decision though. The circuit offering a better commercial package than PI.