The best 10 Williams F1 drivers

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

The best 10 Williams F1 drivers

Post by kals »

The Telegraph published a list of who they believe are the 10 best drivers ever to race for Williams - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/20 ... rs-racing/

The obvious are in the list although I find it hard to agree with Coulthard being included yet Montoya isn't.

Do you agree with the list? My top 10, in no order, would be:

Alan Jones
Keke Rosberg
Nelson Piquet
Nigel Mansell
Alain Prost
Ayrton Senna
Damon Hill
Jacques Villeneuve
Jenson Button
Juan Pablo Montoya
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

My #1 to 10.

Keke Rosberg
Alan Jones
Ayrton Senna
Alain Prost
Nelson Piquet
Nigel Mansell
Damon Hill
Jacques Villeneuve
David Coulthard
Juan Pablo Montoya

Special mention: Carlos Reutemann and Clay Reggazoni.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
The Ghost Who Walks
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW11
Favourite Driver: Alain Prost
Favourite Circuit: Monza

Post by The Ghost Who Walks »

Is this based on achievements with Williams or actual driver skill?
If it's the latter Montoya ahead of Nico Rosberg, Webber, Massa and Bottas for example is laughable. Not their fault they were driving horrible cars while Montoya drove the fastest car on the grid to 5th place.

Having RTFA.. It cleary is just "Best Driver" Not "Best Driver In A Williams"
Last edited by The Ghost Who Walks 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I Like Cheese
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

The Ghost Who Walks wrote: 6 years ago Is this based on achievements with Williams or actual driver skill?
If it's the latter Montoya ahead of Nico Rosberg, Webber, Massa and Bottas for example is laughable. Not their fault they were driving horrible cars while Montoya drove the fastest car on the grid to 5th place.
It doesn't say in the article how the list was formed. I'm guessing it's a combination of talent, reputation and achievement. None of the drivers you mention made the list. Regarding your comment on Montoya, what year are you referring to?
The Ghost Who Walks

kals wrote: 6 years ago
The Ghost Who Walks wrote: 6 years ago Is this based on achievements with Williams or actual driver skill?
It doesn't say in the article how the list was formed. I'm guessing it's a combination of talent, reputation and achievement. None of the drivers you mention made the list. Regarding your comment on Montoya, what year are you referring to?
2004. Arguable that it was the fastest car of course, but from memory it was certainly fastest in a straight line.
Surely Nico was better than JPM and Coulthard. Villenueve is there because he won a title for Williams I guess (their last) but career wise you'd have to say Nico is better than him also.
I Like Cheese
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

The article is hard to take seriously. I mean, the first sentence is "Teenager Lance Stoll is seen as the future of Williams Martini Racing by many in the team" :P.

Mario Andretti also steered a Williams F1 car, once!

As for Montoya, JPM was too large to fit into the list.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 6 years ago As for Montoya, JPM was too large to fit into the list.
:haha: :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

The Ghost Who Walks wrote: 6 years ago
kals wrote: 6 years ago
2004. Arguable that it was the fastest car of course, but from memory it was certainly fastest in a straight line.
Surely Nico was better than JPM and Coulthard. Villenueve is there because he won a title for Williams I guess (their last) but career wise you'd have to say Nico is better than him also.
The 2004 Williams was a pretty dire car and featured the infamous walrus tusk nose cone. The team (and Montoya) only won one race that year and were rarely on the pace. JPM is the most recent Williams driver to challenge for the title. Nico and Mark Webber came in as the team started it's downward spiral but they didn't really bring much to the team. The list only takes into consideration the driver's Williams career, not before and after.
MonteCristo wrote: 6 years agoAs for Montoya, JPM was too large to fit into the list.
:sorrow: Poor Montoya, such an easy Target ;)

(See what I did there?)
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

PUNS!

Also seriously, Montoya is really overweight in that photo. I'm certain he can't have been that big when he did F1, he must have not worked on his fitness once he went to NASCAR or something.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

"What are you trying to say?"
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
The Ghost Who Walks

I like where this thread headed 😂. Can't be Willians career alone with Senna on the list can it? I'm not sure you can judge the Williams of '04 when only Ralf, JPM and Pizzonia (was it) drove it. Am I wrong in saying it dominated in the speed traps with the BMW engine, the absence of which turned the car completely rubbish in '05, just in time for JPM to do another mediocre job in a top car.
I Like Cheese
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

The Ghost Who Walks wrote: 6 years ago Am I wrong in saying it dominated in the speed traps with the BMW engine, the absence of which turned the car completely rubbish in '05, just in time for JPM to do another mediocre job in a top car.
Not sure what you are on about. BMW was still with Williams in 2005, JPM was not. He was hardly "mediocre" in his stint with Williams. Regularly outqualifying the Ferraris in 2002, screwed out of the championship by a BS penalty in 2003, taking Williams last win for 8 years with a BS car in 2004. :roll:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

The Williams had the most powerful engine with BMW in 2001, but it also had a tendency to explode. The rest is as Cheeveer says. 2004 was domination by Ferrari to the likes we hadn't seen until the hybrid rules from 2014. I'm not sure how you can suggest the Williams was the quickest car in 2004 or that Montoya did a mediocre job.
duvel
Favourite Motorsport: Old Motorsport
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Nurburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mercedes E240, Brera 1750tb

Post by duvel »

My humble opinion, The Telegraph Williams top ten is a total mess: for example, surely David Coulthard was a respectable driver but tell me the reason to put him in front of Piquet or Prost.
And Senna had a tragic but very short history to share with Williams Team, can't understand that 1st position which naturally and historically belongs to the benefit of drivers like Jones, Rosberg senior, Piquet or Mansell.
A very arguable Top Ten, also in case of regarding driver's entire career