Features: Articles | Racing Circuits | Crash Photos Database Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

SB83 wrote:
Vinales is so measured in his approach. He knows when to lay back and when and how much to push, better than anyone on the grid.

Indeed. And knowing that Marquez and Honda will bounce back (no pun intended) it makes this year's title chase so attractive.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 22:43 pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like the format MotoGP has now. 45 minutes is just enough. Besides, that way you'll have the energy to sit and watch Moto3 and Moto2 as well.

Code:
Pos.   Rider   Bike   Nation   Points
1   Maverick VIÑALES   Yamaha   SPA   50
2   Valentino ROSSI   Yamaha   ITA   36
3   Andrea DOVIZIOSO   Ducati   ITA   20
4   Scott REDDING   Ducati   GBR   17
5   Cal CRUTCHLOW   Honda   GBR   16
6   Jonas FOLGER   Yamaha   GER   16
7   Jack MILLER   Honda   AUS   15
8   Marc MARQUEZ   Honda   SPA   13
9   Alvaro BAUTISTA   Ducati   SPA   13
10   Dani PEDROSA   Honda   SPA   11
11   Johann ZARCO   Yamaha   FRA   11
12   Aleix ESPARGARO   Aprilia   SPA   10
13   Danilo PETRUCCI   Ducati   ITA   9
14   Loris BAZ   Ducati   FRA   9
15   Karel ABRAHAM   Ducati   CZE   8
16   Alex RINS   Suzuki   SPA   7
17   Hector BARBERA   Ducati   SPA   6
18   Jorge LORENZO   Ducati   SPA   5
19   Tito RABAT   Honda   SPA   5
20   Pol ESPARGARO   KTM   SPA   2
21   Bradley SMITH   KTM   GBR   1
22   Andrea IANNONE   Suzuki   ITA   
23   Sam LOWES   Aprilia   GBR   

Standings right now. MM93 needs a good race at COTA. Which he will probably get, since it's COTA.

Marcus Ericsson - Future WDC™. Traces of irony can be found in this signature.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 06:51 am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini ... eat-escape

Our demi-God Oxley back at it.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 07:12 am

John wrote:
I like the format MotoGP has now. 45 minutes is just enough. Besides, that way you'll have the energy to sit and watch Moto3 and Moto2 as well.

Code:

Standings right now. MM93 needs a good race at COTA. Which he will probably get, since it's COTA.

It s been the same format for 20 years in terms of race length.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 20:22 pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bonneville wrote:
John wrote:

Code:

It s been the same format for 20 years in terms of race length.

Yes, it has. Maybe I was sloppy expressing myself.

To sum things up: I like how DORNA runs the show.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 07:13 am
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

John wrote:

Like the Rossi/Marquez/Lorenzo debacle of a couple of years ago. Their handling of that drove me away from the category for a few months.

(Other than incidents such as that I agree DORNA put on a good show)

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Thu Apr 20, 2017 08:10 am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
John wrote:

Like the Rossi/Marquez/Lorenzo debacle of a couple of years ago. Their handling of that drove me away from the category for a few months.

Not saying that they do everything perfectly. I was more referring to the circuits they visit, how they've managed to keep all three classes thriving, and placing their races in the heartland of motorcycling rather than chasing a quick buck in Obscuristan.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 08:23 am

John wrote:
John wrote:

Not saying that they do everything perfectly. I was more referring to the circuits they visit, how they've managed to keep all three classes thriving, and placing their races in the heartland of motorcycling rather than chasing a quick buck in Obscuristan.

Parking lot of the Americas, Parking lot of the Thailandese, Parking lot of the .....

I wish they'd have the guts to return to iconic venues such as Monza, Spa, Brands Hatch and Suzuka rather than spending time at these asphalt deserts.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Andy wrote:
John wrote:
John wrote:

Parking lot of the Americas, Parking lot of the Thailandese, Parking lot of the .....

I wish they'd have the guts to return to iconic venues such as Monza, Spa, Brands Hatch and Suzuka rather than spending time at these asphalt deserts.

COTA works for bikes. Granted I would rather see Laguna Seca return for the US GP, but for bikes, COTA provides good racing. Besides, Laguna Seca always seems to struggle with low attendance and bordering on bankruptcy anyway.

I don't see the need for Monza to return. It would be a Ducati whitewash. Moto3 would be awesome though.

The Japanese GP should be moved though, if not to Suzuka, then perhaps Sugo or Fuji. All three of them are better than Motegi.

But we have plenty of good tracks in MotoGP. Just look at Mugello, Jerez, Assen, Sachsenring, Brno, Spielberg, Silverstone, Misano, Aragon, Phillip Island and Sepang. And many of these are classic bike venues. I wouldn't trade Mugello or Misano for Monza. I don't know if a Belgian GP could sustain itself (how bike is bike racing in Belgium?).

Regarding Suzuka, yes, it might work for Endurance bikes. But these protypes are faster and the racing is closer. If it's deemed safe enough, then I'm all for it. Brands Hatch? There's not nearly enough run off areas around the loop. A lowsider at Hawthorns bend could be absolutely catastrophic.

I'm a bit surprised that the notion that Dorna generally does a good job, seems to be so controversial. I don't even have a tenth as many beefs with them as I do with F1/Bernie/CVC/Liberty Media group. I think they generally where possible does a good job of promoting the sport, and keeping manufacturers in line. Just the fact that they banned winglets after one season is one example (I know Ducati is working it's way around it).

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:13 am

John wrote:
Andy wrote:
John wrote:
John wrote:

COTA works for bikes. Granted I would rather see Laguna Seca return for the US GP, but for bikes, COTA provides good racing. Besides, Laguna Seca always seems to struggle with low attendance and bordering on bankruptcy anyway.

I don't see the need for Monza to return. It would be a Ducati whitewash. Moto3 would be awesome though.

The Japanese GP should be moved though, if not to Suzuka, then perhaps Sugo or Fuji. All three of them are better than Motegi.

But we have plenty of good tracks in MotoGP. Just look at Mugello, Jerez, Assen, Sachsenring, Brno, Spielberg, Silverstone, Misano, Aragon, Phillip Island and Sepang. And many of these are classic bike venues. I wouldn't trade Mugello or Misano for Monza. I don't know if a Belgian GP could sustain itself (how bike is bike racing in Belgium?).

Regarding Suzuka, yes, it might work for Endurance bikes. But these protypes are faster and the racing is closer. If it's deemed safe enough, then I'm all for it. Brands Hatch? There's not nearly enough run off areas around the loop. A lowsider at Hawthorns bend could be absolutely catastrophic.

I'm a bit surprised that the notion that Dorna generally does a good job, seems to be so controversial. I don't even have a tenth as many beefs with them as I do with F1/Bernie/CVC/Liberty Media group. I think they generally where possible does a good job of promoting the sport, and keeping manufacturers in line. Just the fact that they banned winglets after one season is one example (I know Ducati is working it's way around it).

Fuji?? Parking lot of the Japanese, no thanks. I`d rather stick with Motegi then. Sugo sounds good but I prefer Suzuka. It was deemed unsafe after one tragic fatality in the same kind of over-reaction F1 fell flat to after Senna's tragic incident at Imola.

Spa has been (and still is) one of the iconic locations for bike racing. The bikers classics prove it year in, year out. A GP there would attract crowds from Germany, the Netherlands and France. Not to speak of the English pilgrims.

Monza. I`m a huge fan of slipstream racing and Monza is one of the few locations that delivers in this regard. Bikes used to race GP's here, too, until it was shuffled away. I`d trade in Cota , Buriram, Quatar, etc... as soon as possible.

US GP. The USA has quite a selection of circuits suitable for bike racing. Road Atlanta, Road America, Sears Point to name a few. But no and again MotoGP goes parking lot racing.

In the end bike racing is dangerous, whether it is an irish road or circuit de Catalunya (as we had to witnessed last year).

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:30 pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

All these places would be great. That said, I'm not weeping myself to sleep each night that they're not. part of the current schedule Yes, I could do without Qatar and Motegi, but since even these tracks provide fantastic racing, I'm not THAT miffed about it.

You're right about Spa of course. The Dutch and Germans would fill the stands. That said, I haven't even seen any rumors about Spa returning, so I'm guessing there's not much interest from the Belgians or Dorna?

Sears Point would be a sweet place, that track is great. Road America, don't that place till have the concrete barriers next to the circuit? Yes, bike racing is dangerous, but it's walking a fine line between sanitizing circuits and keeping it's soul.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 13:52 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

John wrote:
That said, I haven't even seen any rumors about Spa returning, so I'm guessing there's not much interest from the Belgians or Dorna?

There is interest from the Belgians, ie the circuit, but Dorna ruled out a return on safety grounds

http://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/240 ... eturn.html

Thu Apr 20, 2017 20:37 pm

The problem is that the DORNA is not the organisation to homologate any circuit. That's the FIM's job, so that's more like a 'no basta, we don't want... blablabla'. And safety is always the easiest way to pull out. And at the lower end of the article you can see why: expanding to southeast Asia

Fri Apr 21, 2017 04:03 am
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Andy wrote:
And at the lower end of the article you can see why: expanding to southeast Asia

IE Taking the F1 approach and chasing the government funding dollars

*My woman cant wrestle. But you should see her box!*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Fri Apr 21, 2017 06:28 am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

An Indonesian GP would sell out in seconds, if managed correctly. They're absolutely mental when it comes to bike racing there. Not sure what Thailand is like, but I'm guessing it's similar. I think the Finnish GP is a sound project as well, 'though we've yet to see the final circuit.

Anyways, back to business in COTA and MM93 is his usual self. Blistering pace, and followed by Zarco in FP2, ahead of Maverick and Vale.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 20:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next