MotoGP - Moto 2 - Moto 3 - 2017 banter thread

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Vinales is so measured in his approach. He knows when to lay back and when and how much to push, better than anyone on the grid.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

SB83 wrote:Vinales is so measured in his approach. He knows when to lay back and when and how much to push, better than anyone on the grid.
Indeed. And knowing that Marquez and Honda will bounce back (no pun intended) it makes this year's title chase so attractive.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I like the format MotoGP has now. 45 minutes is just enough. Besides, that way you'll have the energy to sit and watch Moto3 and Moto2 as well.

Code: Select all

Pos.	Rider	Bike	Nation	Points
1	Maverick VIÑALES	Yamaha	SPA	50
2	Valentino ROSSI	Yamaha	ITA	36
3	Andrea DOVIZIOSO	Ducati	ITA	20
4	Scott REDDING	Ducati	GBR	17
5	Cal CRUTCHLOW	Honda	GBR	16
6	Jonas FOLGER	Yamaha	GER	16
7	Jack MILLER	Honda	AUS	15
8	Marc MARQUEZ	Honda	SPA	13
9	Alvaro BAUTISTA	Ducati	SPA	13
10	Dani PEDROSA	Honda	SPA	11
11	Johann ZARCO	Yamaha	FRA	11
12	Aleix ESPARGARO	Aprilia	SPA	10
13	Danilo PETRUCCI	Ducati	ITA	9
14	Loris BAZ	Ducati	FRA	9
15	Karel ABRAHAM	Ducati	CZE	8
16	Alex RINS	Suzuki	SPA	7
17	Hector BARBERA	Ducati	SPA	6
18	Jorge LORENZO	Ducati	SPA	5
19	Tito RABAT	Honda	SPA	5
20	Pol ESPARGARO	KTM	SPA	2
21	Bradley SMITH	KTM	GBR	1
22	Andrea IANNONE	Suzuki	ITA	
23	Sam LOWES	Aprilia	GBR	
Standings right now. MM93 needs a good race at COTA. Which he will probably get, since it's COTA.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Bonneville

Post by Bonneville »

John wrote:I like the format MotoGP has now. 45 minutes is just enough. Besides, that way you'll have the energy to sit and watch Moto3 and Moto2 as well.

23	Sam LOWES	Aprilia	GBR	
Standings right now. MM93 needs a good race at COTA. Which he will probably get, since it's COTA.
It s been the same format for 20 years in terms of race length.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Bonneville wrote:
John wrote:I like the format MotoGP has now. 45 minutes is just enough. Besides, that way you'll have the energy to sit and watch Moto3 and Moto2 as well.

23	Sam LOWES	Aprilia	GBR	
It s been the same format for 20 years in terms of race length.
Yes, it has. Maybe I was sloppy expressing myself.

To sum things up: I like how DORNA runs the show.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

John wrote: To sum things up: I like how DORNA runs the show.
Like the Rossi/Marquez/Lorenzo debacle of a couple of years ago. Their handling of that drove me away from the category for a few months.

(Other than incidents such as that I agree DORNA put on a good show)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
Like the Rossi/Marquez/Lorenzo debacle of a couple of years ago. Their handling of that drove me away from the category for a few months.

Not saying that they do everything perfectly. I was more referring to the circuits they visit, how they've managed to keep all three classes thriving, and placing their races in the heartland of motorcycling rather than chasing a quick buck in Obscuristan.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

John wrote:

Not saying that they do everything perfectly. I was more referring to the circuits they visit, how they've managed to keep all three classes thriving, and placing their races in the heartland of motorcycling rather than chasing a quick buck in Obscuristan.
Parking lot of the Americas, Parking lot of the Thailandese, Parking lot of the .....

I wish they'd have the guts to return to iconic venues such as Monza, Spa, Brands Hatch and Suzuka rather than spending time at these asphalt deserts.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Andy wrote:
John wrote:

Parking lot of the Americas, Parking lot of the Thailandese, Parking lot of the .....

I wish they'd have the guts to return to iconic venues such as Monza, Spa, Brands Hatch and Suzuka rather than spending time at these asphalt deserts.
COTA works for bikes. Granted I would rather see Laguna Seca return for the US GP, but for bikes, COTA provides good racing. Besides, Laguna Seca always seems to struggle with low attendance and bordering on bankruptcy anyway.

I don't see the need for Monza to return. It would be a Ducati whitewash. Moto3 would be awesome though.

The Japanese GP should be moved though, if not to Suzuka, then perhaps Sugo or Fuji. All three of them are better than Motegi.

But we have plenty of good tracks in MotoGP. Just look at Mugello, Jerez, Assen, Sachsenring, Brno, Spielberg, Silverstone, Misano, Aragon, Phillip Island and Sepang. And many of these are classic bike venues. I wouldn't trade Mugello or Misano for Monza. I don't know if a Belgian GP could sustain itself (how bike is bike racing in Belgium?).

Regarding Suzuka, yes, it might work for Endurance bikes. But these protypes are faster and the racing is closer. If it's deemed safe enough, then I'm all for it. Brands Hatch? There's not nearly enough run off areas around the loop. A lowsider at Hawthorns bend could be absolutely catastrophic.

I'm a bit surprised that the notion that Dorna generally does a good job, seems to be so controversial. I don't even have a tenth as many beefs with them as I do with F1/Bernie/CVC/Liberty Media group. I think they generally where possible does a good job of promoting the sport, and keeping manufacturers in line. Just the fact that they banned winglets after one season is one example (I know Ducati is working it's way around it).

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

John wrote:
Andy wrote:
John wrote:

COTA works for bikes. Granted I would rather see Laguna Seca return for the US GP, but for bikes, COTA provides good racing. Besides, Laguna Seca always seems to struggle with low attendance and bordering on bankruptcy anyway.

I don't see the need for Monza to return. It would be a Ducati whitewash. Moto3 would be awesome though.

The Japanese GP should be moved though, if not to Suzuka, then perhaps Sugo or Fuji. All three of them are better than Motegi.

But we have plenty of good tracks in MotoGP. Just look at Mugello, Jerez, Assen, Sachsenring, Brno, Spielberg, Silverstone, Misano, Aragon, Phillip Island and Sepang. And many of these are classic bike venues. I wouldn't trade Mugello or Misano for Monza. I don't know if a Belgian GP could sustain itself (how bike is bike racing in Belgium?).

Regarding Suzuka, yes, it might work for Endurance bikes. But these protypes are faster and the racing is closer. If it's deemed safe enough, then I'm all for it. Brands Hatch? There's not nearly enough run off areas around the loop. A lowsider at Hawthorns bend could be absolutely catastrophic.

I'm a bit surprised that the notion that Dorna generally does a good job, seems to be so controversial. I don't even have a tenth as many beefs with them as I do with F1/Bernie/CVC/Liberty Media group. I think they generally where possible does a good job of promoting the sport, and keeping manufacturers in line. Just the fact that they banned winglets after one season is one example (I know Ducati is working it's way around it).
Fuji?? Parking lot of the Japanese, no thanks. I`d rather stick with Motegi then. Sugo sounds good but I prefer Suzuka. It was deemed unsafe after one tragic fatality in the same kind of over-reaction F1 fell flat to after Senna's tragic incident at Imola.

Spa has been (and still is) one of the iconic locations for bike racing. The bikers classics prove it year in, year out. A GP there would attract crowds from Germany, the Netherlands and France. Not to speak of the English pilgrims.

Monza. I`m a huge fan of slipstream racing and Monza is one of the few locations that delivers in this regard. Bikes used to race GP's here, too, until it was shuffled away. I`d trade in Cota , Buriram, Quatar, etc... as soon as possible.

US GP. The USA has quite a selection of circuits suitable for bike racing. Road Atlanta, Road America, Sears Point to name a few. But no and again MotoGP goes parking lot racing.

In the end bike racing is dangerous, whether it is an irish road or circuit de Catalunya (as we had to witnessed last year).
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

All these places would be great. That said, I'm not weeping myself to sleep each night that they're not. part of the current schedule Yes, I could do without Qatar and Motegi, but since even these tracks provide fantastic racing, I'm not THAT miffed about it.

You're right about Spa of course. The Dutch and Germans would fill the stands. That said, I haven't even seen any rumors about Spa returning, so I'm guessing there's not much interest from the Belgians or Dorna?

Sears Point would be a sweet place, that track is great. Road America, don't that place till have the concrete barriers next to the circuit? Yes, bike racing is dangerous, but it's walking a fine line between sanitizing circuits and keeping it's soul.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

John wrote:That said, I haven't even seen any rumors about Spa returning, so I'm guessing there's not much interest from the Belgians or Dorna?
There is interest from the Belgians, ie the circuit, but Dorna ruled out a return on safety grounds

http://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/240 ... eturn.html
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

The problem is that the DORNA is not the organisation to homologate any circuit. That's the FIM's job, so that's more like a 'no basta, we don't want... blablabla'. And safety is always the easiest way to pull out. And at the lower end of the article you can see why: expanding to southeast Asia
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Andy wrote:And at the lower end of the article you can see why: expanding to southeast Asia
IE Taking the F1 approach and chasing the government funding dollars

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

An Indonesian GP would sell out in seconds, if managed correctly. They're absolutely mental when it comes to bike racing there. Not sure what Thailand is like, but I'm guessing it's similar. I think the Finnish GP is a sound project as well, 'though we've yet to see the final circuit.

Anyways, back to business in COTA and MM93 is his usual self. Blistering pace, and followed by Zarco in FP2, ahead of Maverick and Vale.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.