1967 Monaco - Bandini's fatal crash

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

vontrips61 wrote:
ascari66 wrote:
Why when bandini is second, Hill being laggard leaves Hulme spend quiet , however when Bandini approaches , there is clearly Hill accelerates your machine, making it difficult to pass ? Mrs. Margarita can not blame only Brabham for throwing oil on the entire track , I think we have many pieces in this jigsaw puzzle... :down:
In 1964 in Mexico GP there was an incident . Hill needed the third to be champion, all is well when on lap 31 Bandini hits your car in harpin , ending his chance of the championship. With this result John Surtees (bandini mate) was the champion by one single point. not believe it was revenge, but things like that we never forget ...
I've read an interview to Bandin's widow where she said that despite Hill was very disappointed for the infamouse mexican GP accident because he thought Bandini did it on purpose, he never showed a bad attitude regarding Bandini. In fact the only thing he did was sending him a book for a driving licence as a chrsitmas gift; just british humor, nothing evil.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

caneparo wrote:
vontrips61 wrote:
ascari66 wrote:
Why when bandini is second, Hill being laggard leaves Hulme spend quiet , however when Bandini approaches , there is clearly Hill accelerates your machine, making it difficult to pass ? Mrs. Margarita can not blame only Brabham for throwing oil on the entire track , I think we have many pieces in this jigsaw puzzle... :down:
In 1964 in Mexico GP there was an incident . Hill needed the third to be champion, all is well when on lap 31 Bandini hits your car in harpin , ending his chance of the championship. With this result John Surtees (bandini mate) was the champion by one single point. not believe it was revenge, but things like that we never forget ...
I've read an interview to Bandin's widow where she said that despite Hill was very disappointed for the infamouse mexican GP accident because he thought Bandini did it on purpose, he never showed a bad attitude regarding Bandini. In fact the only thing he did was sending him a book for a driving licence as a chrsitmas gift; just british humor, nothing evil.
This, I believe?

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/cras ... ?editid1=7
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
330tr
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia D50
Favourite Driver: Alberto Ascari
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by 330tr »

Min 0.38

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

ulibarra wrote:From the video is clear that Bandini is not enormously overspeed. The speed is quite normal, perhaps a bit too fast like someone is going to the limit; anyway it's not the result of someone that was totally out and "forgot" to brake.
If things were as Borsari said, and Bandini was in 5th gear because he "forgot" to shift down, the Ferrari should arrive at a so enormous speed to miss completeley the chicane.
Instead, he is at a normal speed on a normal line. He just loses the rear for a moment, and it's fast to correct it: another point that refutes the idea of an exausted driver that dosn't know where he is.
Bandini was lucid, answering to box's signals, and pushing the car to its limit to close on Hulme.
I think he had simply the worst luck.
Bandini may have forgotten to shift down from 5th, but that doesn't mean he forgot to brake. Also, I don't think being in 5th would cause a problem, as the car would be MORE stable, not less stable.

However, I am intrigued by the idea that he lost the rear of the car entering the chicane, which would explain why the front left wheel touched the barrier:
330tr wrote:Here a slow motion of the moment it touches:

What do we think? I think it does look like the rear is sliding a little, but it's far from clear.

An interesting fact - When Bandini crashed on Lap 81, only 7 cars were left in the race. Some of the slower cars were so far behind, that even on lap 85, Bandini was still classified in 5th place. On lap 86 he dropped to 7th and it wasn't until Lap 92 that Bandini was officially classified as a "non-finisher".
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
330tr

Post by 330tr »

It'is not even certain that it was in 5th gear..
vontrips61
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari P330
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Nurburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mercedes C250

Post by vontrips61 »

Bandini seems to be out of the conventional line , the collision was imminent

" Blue " Ferrari Legend year - update / Surtees

Last edited by vontrips61 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ulibarra

Post by ulibarra »

PTRACER wrote:Bandini may have forgotten to shift down from 5th, but that doesn't mean he forgot to brake. Also, I don't think being in 5th would cause a problem, as the car would be MORE stable, not less stable.
I think it could be a "shift lock" like effect (actually, the opposite!). Let's suppose that Bandini was shifting down from 4th to 3rd. He increased the revs of the engine to match the 3rd, as usual with unsynchro gears, with the well-known technique of the "double-clutch". Then the 5th gear was enaged instead. It doesn't matter, here, the reason why this happened, if gearbox trouble or driver's error. Let's give credit to the rumors saying the car was found in 5th gear.

Obviously, the speed at which the double-clutch is performed inhibit any possibility to cope with a missed gear.
So, the engine was very high revved, when the clutch re-engaged. In 3rd gear the revs would perfectly match the speed of the car, and nothing would happen. In 5th gear instead, the rear wheels were suddenly pushed to a higher speed for a moment, producing an effect like (but opposite!) to the "shift lock".

Actual shift-lock is when you push the clutch and let the engine to lose revs, then re-engage suddenly the clutch letting the inertia to lock the rear train for a moment. Here, instead to lower revs, we have higher revs: the result is the same, the rear wheels drift and the car oversteer.
PTRACER wrote:An interesting fact - When Bandini crashed on Lap 81, only 7 cars were left in the race. Some of the slower cars were so far behind, that even on lap 85, Bandini was still classified in 5th place. On lap 86 he dropped to 7th and it wasn't until Lap 92 that Bandini was officially classified as a "non-finisher".
Yeah! Monaco in that era was a very demanding track. The year before (1966) was not much different. Only 4 cars over the 16 started was classified. On the track there were also Ligier and Bonnier with their Cooper, more than 25 laps down, so they were (not) classified behind Ginther that retired with transmission failure with 20 laps to go.
Massimo Bacilieri AKA Crononauta
Ravenna, Italy
ulibarra

Post by ulibarra »

330tr wrote:Image

More I look to it, more I am convincing it's actually the 5th gear instead.
Massimo Bacilieri AKA Crononauta
Ravenna, Italy
ascari66
Favourite Racing Car: f1
Favourite Driver: bandini, ascari
Favourite Circuit: monte carlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: ferrari

Post by ascari66 »

ulibarra wrote:

WITHOUT doubt :thumbsup:
330tr

Post by 330tr »

ascari66 wrote:
ulibarra wrote:

Are you really, really sure?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I think it is stuck in 3rd.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
ascari66
Favourite Racing Car: f1
Favourite Driver: bandini, ascari
Favourite Circuit: monte carlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: ferrari

Post by ascari66 »

330tr wrote:
ascari66 wrote:
ulibarra wrote:

Are you really, really sure?
well... Third gear is also ruled out . It would be fourth gear or this scheme is stuck ? :twothumbs:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Here it looks as if it is in neutral.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Could also have happened in the impact
pedro59
Favourite Motorsport: WSRP - Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari Dino 246 - Alfa Romeo GTA
Favourite Driver: Pedro Rodriguez - Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Mugello road race
Car(s) Currently Owned: KIA Sportage Rebel

Post by pedro59 »

Flat_In_5th wrote:All the accounts of the crash, from respectable journos, indicate that fatigue paid a major part in the mistake Lorenzo made at the chicane. I was surprised to hear of this, even though the accident occurred near the end of the race. What say ye...
Dear friend "Flat_In_5th" your concerns are absolutely right!
Unfortunately these newspapers and magazines were not as reliable as we thought. Attribute the cause of the accident to the physical conditions of Lorenzo Bandini was the easiest solution that saved all: Ferrari, excluding mechanical problems, the organizers hiding the danger of the circuit of Monte Carlo and the clamorous inefficiency of the rescue.
I think Lorenzo Bandini was a great professional, with a perfect physical preparation for the standards of the mid-sixties, and I have always found it regrettable that this legend may have endured for nearly half a century.
vontrips61
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari P330
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Nurburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mercedes C250

Post by vontrips61 »

I am confused about it .for a 3D view "virtual" , maybe I 'd say it's in 3rd