Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Any wheel that's good for sim racing. I'm glad I have my G25 with the shifter. I mainly race with keyboard atm though.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

G25's doesn't break... except for the shifter. I've had mine since it was released (2006?) and the wheel hasn't missed a beat. I guess those can be scored quite cheap nowadays.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

My pedals and my shifter have glitches on and off for some time, I've had to take them apart to clean the pots. Everything is working fine now though.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

I bought a Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter in January, also a solid piece of kit. Much better than the G25 shifter, but it also costs as such.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

I'm using the Logitech Driving Force GT. It has a sequential shifter, but I'm enjoying it very much.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I started the game, but when I try to run on, eg the streets of Monaco, and press green; the computer crashes to desktop.
Maybe I did something wrong with 3D accelaration or screen resolution? Would love to play... I used the update as indicated by Cheeveer.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Antonov wrote:I started the game, but when I try to run on, eg the streets of Monaco, and press green; the computer crashes to desktop.
Maybe I did something wrong with 3D accelaration or screen resolution? Would love to play... I used the update as indicated by Cheeveer.
If you've loaded the game straight from the disc and not updated it, it's never going to work...

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Hmm, I suspect you need to patch it up further. Try and install this very useful utility: http://gem.ebi-service.de/downloads.html

That will add a lot more options to make the game run smoother. It will also allow you to install mods.

CTD's are usually because of graphical glitches - it wasn't originally made for 2015 graphics cards. But with the above utility it can make it work - I use the "Open GL V2" rasteriser and 1920x1080 resolution. It runs very stable with that.

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

There's also this guide: http://gplworld.org/easy-installation-guide.html

The Sim Racing Mirror Zone is THE GPL forum: http://srmz.net/index.php?act=idx

ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Cheeveer wrote:There's also this guide: http://gplworld.org/easy-installation-guide.html

The Sim Racing Mirror Zone is THE GPL forum: http://srmz.net/index.php?act=idx
I use the all in one installer from the forum and GEM+.
After installing GPL you need to create a player profile and then close GPL again. Then open GEM and add your installation to GEM and it will work everytime.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Just in case you thought GPL needed a touch more realism...look at the driver's head!
https://vimeo.com/143319235

I'm blown away by what modders are doing to this game.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

yeah, i think i should try to get GPL running again.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

It's really, really good. I only drive it with keyboard, but if you tune the AI right, they're so much better to race with than say rFactor's AI.

There's also a patch out that removes the black bars from the field of view, so it's now proper full screen.

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Thanks for mentioning that, PT! Peaking my interest for GPL again. I'm hearing that F1 1955 and CanAm 1966 mods are imminent! (imminent in GPL lingo is usually at least 6 months, but still)

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

The driver head is, in theory, really easy to do (especially in nr2003), what interests me is how they got the suspension to move in GPL but you can't do the same thing in NR (the reason I'm comparing to NR is because the two games share much of the same code).

Is there any car building tutorials for GPL available that show the construction code and switches like there is for NR?
I've tried looking but never really found anything.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Ian-S wrote:The driver head is, in theory, really easy to do (especially in nr2003), what interests me is how they got the suspension to move in GPL but you can't do the same thing in NR (the reason I'm comparing to NR is because the two games share much of the same code).

Is there any car building tutorials for GPL available that show the construction code and switches like there is for NR?
I've tried looking but never really found anything.
You should ask that at SRMZ. If they can't answer that, then probably no.