Articles section reinstated

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
Rainyday
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, WRC, NASCAR, BTCC, KKWCS
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia 037
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring Nordschleife

Post by Rainyday »

Bottom post of the previous page:

What would be wrong with me being an...

POWERRRR MWAHAHAHA :twisted:

...Oh, I see.

I'll write you an article tonight or tomorrow about WRC, and send it to you.
Square numbers are just like women, if they're under 13 just do them in your head.
caneparo wrote:considering what you wrote I must say you smoked antifreeze
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

ok i'm in. registered. what i have to do now? :mrgreen:
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

You should incorporate the worldpress header (into) and format the forum to the same width so that the two (news/forum) look like they are the same site/setup so you can easily jump from the new site to the forum and back again without typing in a new url, see V8's site for example.

Also, do you want any virtual world racing reports, or just real world ones?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I posted my first article last night, when do I get paid? :whistling: The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to post a thumbnail image to accompany the article.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Right, sorry I've ignored you lot a bit, been continuing with the design process. It doesn't help that it's written in PHP and I know absolutely NOTHING about it.

Very much trial and error, but the categories pages are now pretty as I would like them. :smiley: Have a look and tell me what you think.

I'm going to have to give everyone a lesson on how to use the site, because there's certain things you have to fill out for it to look right. For example, you need to write an excerpt in the Excerpt box before you post, and you also need two thumbnails to attach to the image.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Can you change where www.the-fastlane.co.uk redirects to? Instead of going to /forums perhaps it should automatically go to /wordpress. Users can simply navigate to the forum from there.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

still say both sites should be integrated into one (and the top domain going to the wordpress folder first), it's overall_header and overall_footer (to close the width table) that need editing, can be done via the ACP on the forum (you don't need to change the wordpress site).

And if you can slow down the news ticker, I can barely read the headline before it's moved onto the next article (that could be firefox specific though).
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I wrote another article earlier but cannot publish it. The previous article I wrote I published, this new one I can only submit for review. What has changed or am I being an idiot?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

News ticker slowed from 2 seconds to a much more reasonable 5 seconds. Tried 10 but it seemed too long.

Kieran - articles must be reviewed by the Chief Editor before being officially published, to check the article conforms to site rules and to check for spelling mistakes.

I have added an image thumbnail to your post so it has a thumbnail on the homepage (else it just has a white box), plus I have added the same image to the article itself.

I have also written an Excerpt so it is displayed correctly on the main page.

Finally, with the Tags, in order for it to display correctly on the website, you must enclose the title in [Square brackets]. I need to discuss these rules with everyone before the site goes live.

EDIT: Current design is in its final stages. It's transparent in Firefox and Safari, but not in IE.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

*This is a general message to everyone who has signed up to contribute*

Firstly, thanks for signing up. Once I have at least one to two articles for each section, I'll put the site "live" and it will no longer be hiding in the Wordpress folder and if you haven't prepared anything yet, don't worry.

So, here's a few tips and tricks and some information you need to know:

1. You can log into the Wordpress site and create articles as soon as you like, they are saved as Drafts until I approve them. I approve them by checking spelling mistakes and making sure the layout is perfect, especially if you added images. I won't edit the text of the article unless there are major problems with the English.

2. Title length is limited to 32 characters. If it's too long, it will cut off the extra letters for you when you submit.

3. If you want to insert images, please be careful with copyright. When you insert the images, put the cursor at the start of a paragraph and then set the image to display left or right depending on how you're feeling. The first image should really display on the left. Make sure they are set as thumbnails 150x150 pixels. When you insert the images, there should be a Caption box. Make sure you enter a caption and include copyright/source information if possible.

4. Somewhere on the "Add New Post" page, you will see a big box titled "Excerpt". You must fill this box out with some sort of introduction to the article and this will be displayed on the main page. If you don't, it will simply take the first 300 characters of the post and then write [...] and doesn't look as nice.

5. Further down, you'll see a Post Properties box. Upload two images here and it will give the article a thumbnail on the homepage. You can use the same image for both, just make sure it's bigger than 184x135 pixels when you upload it.

6. Ignore both the Categories and Post Tag boxes, I'll deal with those.

Any questions? :tongue:

caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

I have posted an article. Not sure I made it good, I wanted to put a pic but maybe I wasn't able eheh
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

LOL, I like you're writing style Toni. We should call it Caneparo's Column :haha: :haha:

I'll have a read through the two posts and approve them later.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I hope one of those two posts is my latest article Paul?

Toni, would you be able to write an article on how you feel as a true Tifosi about Ferrari's year in F1?
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

yes i will. my second article is right about that.
I would like the name of my column to be: "Il Tifoso"
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Guys, when you're happy with your articles, please press Publish rather than Save Draft.

Could both Joonas and Toni confirm whether their latest articles are ready to go live, or whether they are still work in progress? Thanks :smiley:

caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

as said yesterday via chat the ferrari stuff is not yet ready, i just saved some excerpts from my post on the forum ;)