Thinking of reducing the number of forums

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Thinking of reducing the number of forums

Post by PTRACER »

I was thinking of removing Racing Circuits and merging with both Modern Motorsport and Racing History depending on the content of the thread.

Also, considering how few active threads there are in Music, Computer Games and Foreign Language, merging that back with the Lounge.

The forum is becoming quieter lately, so this is a reflection of that. I have plans in motion tonadd new content on the near future.

Any objections?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

If Foreign language is to be merged back into the Lounge it would get lost very quickly to page 4720305 and never seen again. In my opinion just get rid.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Yes, get rid of the foreign language topic. Not really needed here.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

To make the forum feel busier we've all just got to make an effort to post in multiple threads and respond to other people's posts. Sometimes posts will go unanswered in some threads for many days therefore making the forum feel quiet. We can get rid of sections, move things around, decommission certain threads, downsize, but that won't get rid of the actual problem. And that problem is us members. We've got to make more of an effort. It doesn't take much. At the end of the day we are the forum, we make it live and I for one don't want it to die.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

You're making more than enough effort kals and even though strad is no longer a moderator, he's making a big effort too.

As I've always said, we have 2000+ members and less than 30 active posters. It upsets me in a way when I look at the current members making an effort and it goes mostly unrewarded. By that, I mean you only get maybe a handful of replies to threads, even the discussion ones.

I want to try and somehow get some of our old members back and I think the forum needs to go in a different direction in order to do that. Or we need to do a little more shameless plugging.

When we first started, crashes and videos were our main thing, discussion was on the side. I like the way that that side is now on a back seat, but we still need to provide something other forums don't.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Here's your answer...
PTRACER wrote:90. Take over TBK and complete my global cyber domination
Take it over, turn it off, repoint "some" members over here.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

:tongue: Marvin won't like me much for that. Are they really the crowd that we want back here? Besides, they are happy there otherwise they would be here.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

That is why I said "some" members :thumbsup:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I'm happier, but I don't want to remove the other forums without the regular users' say so.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I'm against removing the music and computer forums.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

How is it looking at the moment?

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Cheeveer wrote:I'm against removing the music and computer forums.
I agree.
Rainyday
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, WRC, NASCAR, BTCC, KKWCS
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia 037
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring Nordschleife

Post by Rainyday »

Removing international forums would be an idea as such, but how about we make it into a "Travel&International"-type of subforum? You can talk in different languages or discuss your latest trip to Spain or take suggestions on whether you should invest on a beach holiday in Edinburgh or a ski holiday in Madrid - or whether both are a bad idea and you should go for a relaxing family visit to the beatiful coast of Somalia instead.

What I mean is that we could discuss the stuff that fills up some of The Lounge currently like, well, travel and international topics, as the name suggests. Also discussion about politics and your national elections would go there along with a new stupid law some idiot politician just made which will worsen YOUR life considerably.

Regarding other topics: Let computer and video games as well as music stay, I personally like racing circuits and I feel that it should be expanded rather than getting rid off. We could make historical racing, it's venues and discussion about it our main pull and discuss obviously modern motorsports as well. We also have many rare items thanks to certain members, which is not a bad thing and always an interesting read. I just feel that people who post the articles don't get enough feedback and discussion, often just seeing their thread having a couple of "any more on that please"-posts and that's it.

What we should do is to aim to keep this forum discussion-oriented with focus on articles and pictures with discussions and speculations about them.

Or we could merge maybe Computers into The Lounge and Games into a Games & Trivia-subsection of the lounge which would have Quizzes, Trivia threads and discussion about games - traditional and modern video games.

I don't know really, This place is good as it is now but maybe lacks some new members - or they find it hard and unrewarding to keep posting here since it's not very active of a forum and thus leave after maybe 10 or 20 posts which is a shame.

But my bottom line is that this is perhaps the best place around to have serious discussions in a friendly environment about motorsport and it's past as well as the future, the drivers, the venues and their pranching horses that took them to fame - or took their life. And that's why you can count me in as an active poster in the future too, and I hope I don't have to start posting alone.
Square numbers are just like women, if they're under 13 just do them in your head.
caneparo wrote:considering what you wrote I must say you smoked antifreeze
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

This forum > Other forums

The reason?

If I don't go on my PC for 24 hours I only have to go through 3 pages of news rather than 30 pages to read about 2 bits of news.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

The idea of reducing the forums was to increase the content in the existing ones and to tidy up and freshen up our look which, looking back, we've had since 2006 at least.

Too many forums and not enough content = an empty looking forum. If there was a great demand for more new forums then I would create more.