2021 Bathurst 12hr cancelled *2022 Confirmed*

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2021 Bathurst 12hr cancelled *2022 Confirmed*

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

2021 Bathurst 12 hour cancelled

Well, it is a shame, but it has been a decision we have expected here in Australia for some time. A casualty of the dreaded Covid situation and the as yet unknown restrictions that will still likely be in place in February when the event was scheduled to be held.
Only yesterday they were hinting as much after the Bathurst 1000 klm Touring Car event, suggesting that the 12 hour date would likely be taken by the Touring Cars as there are less restrictions internally than for overseas visitors/ entrants of which there are usually several.
The heavily international-focused event has been called off in light of ongoing border closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as predicted by Speedcafe.com in May.

In the announcement confirming this years cancellation they made it very clear that this is only a one year hiccup and future years the event is seen as a key feature of the International Calendar nd also the local events outfits.
However, Supercars has also renewed its agreement with New South Wales’ government tourism agency, Destination NSW, to support the event from 2022 to 2025.

“This is a tough decision but ultimately one we had to make,” said Supercars CEO Sean Seamer.

“Since Supercars began managing the event it has grown to become one of the largest endurance events globally, showcasing our spiritual home of racing to an international audience.

“With Australia’s international borders expected to remain closed, we feel it is in the best interest of competitors, fans, sponsors and broadcasters to make the decision now on next year’s event.

“We are absolutely committed to having the event return to Australia’s motorsport calendar in 2022.”

Stephane Ratel, the CEO of SRO Motorsports Group and thus global GT kingpin, said “The Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour is one of the world’s great endurance races and an undoubted highlight of SRO Motorsports Group’s global calendar.

“But we also understand and respect Australia’s international travel restrictions, which make it impossible to stage Intercontinental GT Challenge Powered by Pirelli’s opening round there in February.

“Instead, 2021’s championship will now begin later in the year at the Total 24 Hours of Spa. Mount Panorama remains Intercontinental’s spiritual season opener, and I know I speak for everyone at SRO as well as our manufacturers when I say we cannot wait to return in 2022.”

Bathurst’s Mayor, Cr Bobby Bourke added, “While it was disappointing the 2021 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12-Hour won’t go ahead, it is good to see that the event has firmly established itself on the international GT circuit and the lure of the iconic Mount Panorama will see the event return in 2022.”

Seamer hinted at yesterday’s Gala Awards, held in pit lane after the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, that the Supercars Championship will commence at Mount Panorama next year.

It has since been confirmed that the season-opener will at least take place in NSW, although the venue is yet to be nominated.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/10/19/ba ... -for-2021/
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/10/10/ba ... n-in-2022/

Some good news has come out, the 12 Hour is expected to return next year as part of the IGTC with a date change to March after its hiatus this year.

Unfortunately the date changes means it'll clash with Sebring at this stage but the date hasn't been finalised yet so that could be avoided (presumably they're waiting on the Supercars/ARG calendar before confirming it)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/10/10/ba ... n-in-2022/

Some good news has come out, the 12 Hour is expected to return next year as part of the IGTC with a date change to March after its hiatus this year.

Unfortunately the date changes means it'll clash with Sebring at this stage but the date hasn't been finalised yet so that could be avoided (presumably they're waiting on the Supercars/ARG calendar before confirming it)
Edited Thread title to reflect.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

2022 Bathurst 12 hour looking at being delayed.

The 2022 Bathurst 12 Hour could be pushed back from its current February 25-27 dates, with a May slot speculated to be a fallback option. Covid in NSW the cause. NSW yesterday had it highest day of fatalities since the Pandemic started. The 7 day average has jumped to 33,000 per day.

The challenge for the GT enduro is being able to attract a strong contingent of international drivers and teamsthe ones that have.

Another issue as I see it for overseas teams is that their return to Europe could be in jeopardy as more and more of the European transit stops have joined a group not allowing even transit passengers from Australia to land. Hong Kong Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are the ones that have banned anyone who has been in Australia from even a one hour transit stop.

Of course at the moment the middle east is still open to those travelling from Australia, but my understanding is there are now someEuropean countries not allowing travellers to arrive from Dubai and Doha....

It is undoubtedly going to get worse before it gets better and I suspect that with that worsening will be further bans on those from Australia being allowed free access to return.

Edit: Just noticed @erwin greven has a few minutes ago posted the Bathurst problems in the Sportscar thread.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

It does at least sound like they're definitely committed to running the race.
Intercontinental GT Challenge boss Ratel told Motorsport.com that he's in regular contact with Supercars, and that there is a mutual commitment for the race to happen even if they are forced into another date change.

"We are talking to the promoter, Supercars, on a daily basis, and if they say the race can happen as planned we will go," said Ratel.

"It has to happen. If the worse comes to the worse and it can't happen on 27 February, then we will find a new date.

"SRO and Supercars agree on that. The event was cancelled last year, so we cannot lose the momentum.

"Of course we are looking at alternatives. We could run it March, April or into May. We know that holding it later won't be a problem for our European teams because they don't use the same chassis as for their other programmes."
With that said there hasn't really been much other news about the race at all, I think I've only seen one entry confirmed so far (Gruppe M). I don't even think they've said what cars will be eligible, I doubt they'll get near a full grid with just having current GT3 cars and a few lower class cars like in 2020 especially if it's mostly local entries.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I cant see it happening on the original planned date next month, as I dont see the restrictions on people who have visited Australia being allowed to transit through any of the Asian hubs. As I mentioned we cannot even transit for an hour in HongKong and Singapore. At least Dubai and Doha are still open to Aussie visitors. Hopefully their issues with onward travel to Europe ease up.

I guess that aspect is irrelevant if we are not looking at getting any / many International entries. As @theracer120 said it seems only one International entry at the moment. There seems to be minimal restrictions on Interstate travel so local entries should not have problems.

The organisers (Supercars) and the International GT people seem happy for it to be run March April or May, and hopefully the situation will be under control by then. There seems no doubt it will be a pretty minimal field compared to the last one but it is what it is. At least they seem committed to running the event.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

New date is set: Bathurst is moving to May 13-15.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Wise move I think.