2021 Supercars and Supports

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 330C M Sport Coupe
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Re: 2021 Supercars and Supports

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 2 months ago

Latest post of the previous page:

Michkov wrote:
2 months ago
Is that the same Repco that powered the Brabhams in the late 60s?
Yes... the very same.

This explains their journey, from long before they chipped in to develop Jack Brabham's engines. :wink:
https://www.repco.com.au/en/about-us

Nowadays they are a multi branch (over 400 outlets) national chain providing replacement parts and accessories at both trade and retail levels.

*Sebastian, Lance is faster than you... do you understand?*

*I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 2 months ago

Davison to get the #17 at DJR??

Will Davison took part in a Dunlop tyre test in the DJRTP Mustang (Whincup was also there with the T888 Holden)
Looks like he will be getting the prized #17 car, made famous as Dick Johnson's own number back in the day and more recently used by Scotty Mac throughout his 3 consecutive titles..

I must admit I felt Anton De Pasquale would get that senior gig, but presume he will instead take over Coulthards #12 if the tyre test was anything to go by.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 month ago

And with no surprises, BJR confirm Macauley Jones.

Just 24 hours after confirming they had purchased an REC from Phil Mundy to ensure they had a replacement REC for Brad's son Macauley to continue.... Macca last year drove the Cooldrive car under the Blanchard owned REC, but as stated Blanchard has left BJR and gone to set up his own independent Mustang team. So no surprise that the now Brad Jones owned ex Mundy REC gets used for Macca. At this stage it will be entered as BJR, but maybe there will be news of some sponsorship in due course.

Macca's confirmation comes after those of Todd Hazelwood and Nick Percat, the latter of which was announced in February this year.

It is anticipated Jack Smith will continue racing under the Brad Jones Racing banner into 2021, under his family owned REC.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

David Reynolds engineer quits Erebus, moves to Kelly Racing.

This could be the tip of the iceberg.... They have been rumours around for a while that David Reynolds, although one year into a ten year contract, is not happy with Erebus. It is believed that Barry Ryan, Team principal CEO and part owner of the team and David have clashed and that David is trying to negotiate an exit from the team. Team Kelly is perhaps the best option for David pursue should an split with Erebus materialise..... Rick Kelly announced his retirement from driving at the end of this season just finished, so there is a spot yet to be filled.

It is known that Reynolds and his engineer Alistair McVean are very close as a unit, indeed with McVean unable to travel with the team when they went on the road for two months being one of the reasons suggested to be behind David's slump in form. As well as Dave's engineer McVean is also the Head of Engineering at Erebus and widely regarded as one of the best in pitlane.

McVean is said to currently be on 'Gardening Leave' prior to joining Kelly Racing. McVean’s expected move will only heighten expectation Reynolds will also move to the Ford Mustang team.

Reynolds and McVean have worked together at Erebus since 2016, striking up a strong friendship and highly-successful working partnership that included winning the 2017 Bathurst 1000.

Personally, with McVean moving, it is a sure sign Reynolds will follow him. Apparently the Ryan / Reynols rift is pretty severe, and rumours are that Reynolds is even prepared to sit on the sidelines for a year. Certainly Ryan has a reputation of being less than flexible and uncompromising.

Of course should Reynolds leave Erebus the question would be who will replace him.....Brodie Kostecki, who partnered De Pasquale for Erebus at Bathurst this year has been talking of news before Christmas.

Should Reynolds split and Erebus end up running two pretty much rookies, with Will Brown, who shared with Reynolds at Bathurst already confirmed as De Pasquale's replacement, I can see a very tough year ahead for Erebus. With the news of McVeans split, plus the fact that Erebus crew chief Dennis Huijser, who quit during the season, is also expected to join Kelly Racing, another key Erebus member, De Pasquale's engineer this year, Mirko De Rosa , s also understood to have moved on to an unknown at this stage team..

Team majority owner, Betty Klimenko has always said that if a driver is unhappy in the team, regardless of contractual status, she would not let a contract get in the way. She would not want a driver unhappy with the team forced by contract to stay. For this reason I feel Reynolds moving on on is more likely to happen than not.

It is going to be interesting to see what unfolds over the next couple of weeks.

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer » 1 month ago

2021 calender is out

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2020/12 ... -calendar/

No Sandown is a bit worrying. Is that track living on thin ice?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 » 1 month ago

I think the absence is more to do with cost savings (also why there's only one enduro), that's basically the minimum 12 events they can do while fulfilling their contracts and running in every area of Australia they can. They have also said that they'll race there if the AGP gets canned and TCR/S5000 will be having their regular season finale there.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cheeveer wrote:
1 month ago
2021 calender is out

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2020/12 ... -calendar/

No Sandown is a bit worrying. Is that track living on thin ice?
The other big issue I have is no Phillip Island..... without doubt one of the best circuits they race at. Whether it is a problem with location I dont know.... its a couple of hours from Melbourne and major airports, but it is almost like a Victorian thing. No rounds for Victoria, one of the main bases for V8 teams, other than Winton (plus of course the AGP which may or may not happen.... If the GP itself has problems due to International quarantine rules in place for Australia overall, they wont run the meeting for the support categories of which V8's are one.) No Adelaide street circuit and no Sandown or Phillip Island is a big gap to cover. Disappointing that the Sandown 500 is dropped as an enduro.
Regards,
Pissed off
Victoria :aggro:

Just noticed no no Newcastle either.... but then NSW have three rounds already

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

IIRC Phillip Island wasn't originally scheduled for 2020 either.

Newcastle has been confirmed as the season opener for 2022 so the Bathurst 500 should be a one-off.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Coulthard confirmed at Team Sydney

Bit of a comedown for Coulthard.... to go from the #2 to Scotty Mac at the Championship winning DJR team from which he was dumped, with Scott heading to Indycar, and Will Davison and Anton de Pasquale taking over at DJR he is now confirmed at Team Sydney, at best an also ran team of dubious prospects. He was offered a part time gig at DJR, co driving in the enduros, but declined that.

It will be the first time since 2015 that the 38-year-old has raced a Holden Commodore in Supercars.

With Tim Slade having been confirmed at the new Tim Blanchard racing team that I think is leaving only who will replace the retiring Rick Kelly, that announcement leaving a seat in the Castrol Mustang Rick drove.

There have been plenty of rumours as to who will drive that, one of which is that David Reynolds, despite his having a long term contract with Penrite Erebus but is in a bit of an ongoing dispute with Barry Ryan team principal at Erebus, and was said to be part of the exodus of Erebus engineering staff who have ended up at Kelly Racing. There has been no news on that for several weeks, so I dont know whether that means things have been healed at Erebus between Barry and David or not.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Supercars reveals format for the 2021 Championship.
Supercars has revealed race formats for its 12-round, 32-race 2021 calendar.

As expected, the season will open with two 250km races at the Mount Panorama 500, which replaces the recently cancelled Adelaide 500.

Just three events will feature the 2 x 250km race format, those being the season opener, the NTI Townsville 500, and the season-ending and newly renamed Gold Coast 500.

Having been a two-driver endurance race since 2010, the Supercars event at the Surfers Paradise Street Circuit will revert back to a single driver event.

Events at Symmons Plains International Raceway, The Bend Motorsport Park, Winton Motor Raceway, Hidden Valley Raceway, Sydney Motorsport Park, Wanneroo Raceway, and the yet-to-be-decided circuit in New Zealand will comprise three races of distances between 100km and 125km.

The Melbourne 400 retains its four 100km races spread across three days at the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix.

The category has also confirmed events at Winton Motor Raceway and Hidden Valley Raceway will feature Super Soft compound tyres.

Of the 12 events in 2021, only four will feature refuelling; those being the Mount Panorama 500, NTI Townsville 500, Repco Bathurst 1000, and Gold Coast 500.

As reported by Speedcafe.com, Supercars has confirmed the Bathurst 1000 will be the sole endurance event of 2021.

Supercars Chief Operating Officer Shane Howard said closing out the season on the Gold Coast was a fitting way to see out the season.

“As we did prior to 2020, we will finish with two 250km single-driver races to decide the championship,” Howard said.

“For fans around the world it will be thrilling to see a new Champion crowned in December, 30 years since racing first began on the Gold Coast street circuit.”

The 2021 Supercars Championship will get underway with pre-season testing at Sydney Motorsport Park on February 13-14.

Draft 2021 Repco Supercars Championship Calendar

Rnd Date Event Format
February 14 Pre-Season Test, Sydney, NSW

1 February 26-28 Mount Panorama 500, Bathurst, NSW 2 x 250km
2 March 18-21 Melbourne, Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix, VIC 4 x 100km
3 April 10-11 Tasmania SuperSprint, Symmons Plains, TAS 3 x 110km
4 May 8-9 OTR SuperSprint, Tailem Bend, SA 3 x 115km
5 May 29-30 Winton SuperSprint, Winton, VIC 3 x 120km
6 June 19-20 Darwin Triple Crown, Hidden Valley, NT 3 x 110km
7 July 9-11 NTI Townsville 500, Reid Park, QLD 2 x 250km
8 August 20-22 Sydney SuperNight, Sydney Motorsport Park, NSW 3 x 125km
9 September 11-12 Perth SuperNight, Wanneroo Raceway, WA 3 x 110km
10 October 7-10: Repco Bathurst 1000, Mount Panorama, NSW 1 x 1000km
11 November 6-7 ITM Auckland SuperSprint, NZ 3 x 115km
12 December 3-5 Gold Coast 500, Surfers Paradise, QLD 2 x 250km/quote]
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/12/16/su ... -calendar/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Danny Ric and Lando Norris looking at a Wildcard entry to Bathurst 1000.

Early days yet and nothing more than an idea, but Both Danny Ric and Lando, now teamates at McLaren, have spoken to McLaren DEO Zak Brown, a shareholder in WAU and Supercars fan (Zak's United Autosport Team is the U of WAU) about a Bathurst drive.
Zak is all for it, so the next step is chcking alignment of schedules plus of course the Covid / quarantine situation that may be in place still.
Re the schedule I know traditionally the Bathurst 1000 clashes with the Japanese GP, but maybe if the Japanese GP is Covid affected..... :whistling:

Would be brilliant i it could happen. Ricciardo last year tested a Kelly Racing Nissan Altima with Rick Kelly at Calder Park. :whistling:

**Make it happen noises**
Daniel Ricciardo says he’s spoken with McLaren boss Zak Brown about racing at Mount Panorama and is “working on it”.

The McLaren bound Formula 1 driver has previously signalled his desire to compete in the Bathurst 1000.peaking on The Fast Lane podcast, Ricciardo said he has talked to Brown about the possibility of racing at Mount Panorama.

“I’ve already had some conversations about Bathurst with him, actually,” said Ricciardo.

“Yeah. Working on it, working on it.”

The move to the Woking-based team may open the door to a Bathurst 1000 wildcard.

Earlier this year Brown suggested a wildcard might be forthcoming in schedules aligned.

“I think they’d both love to do it,” Brown said of Ricciardo and Lando Norris entering as a wildcard on Supercars Sidetracked.

“I think people now know I’m a little bit different than most of the team bosses in F1 as I like to see our drivers go out and give it a go at Daytona or Le Mans, things of that nature.

“I think it’ll just come down to schedule and whether they can fit it in the schedule.”

Unless changes are made to the F1 calendar in 2021, a wildcard as early as next year would appear unlikely due to date clashes.

As it stands, next year’s Bathurst 1000 will clash with the Japanese Grand Prix on October 10.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/12/16/ri ... rst-drive/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
1 month ago
......... leaving only who will replace the retiring Rick Kelly, that announcement leaving a seat in the Castrol Mustang Rick drove.

There have been plenty of rumours as to who will drive that, one of which is that David Reynolds, despite his having a long term contract with Erebus Penrite but is in a bit of an ongoing dispute with Barry Ryan team principal at Erebus, and was said to be part of the exodus of Erebus engineering staff who have ended up at Kelly Racing. There has been no news on that for several weeks, so I dont know whether that means things have been healed at Erebus between Barry and David or not.
No sooner than I say we have heard nothing for a while on the Reynolds situation at Erebus.....

Erebus Motorsport confirms departure of Reynolds

It seems the rift in the team was beyond repair, and although Reynolds leaving Erebus has been confirmed it is not confirmed yet where he will go, but it is pretty much a given he will replace the recently retired Rick Kelly t Kelly Racing.

As has been hinted at before it seems likely that Penrite will also follow Reynolds out of Erebus.... they were always very closely aligned to David. The interesting thing is that the Rick Kelly car was sponsored by Castrol. There has long been rumour that the Castrol branding was not significant in dollar terms and that with Rick having retired the future of the Castrol branding was in the air.

Dont be surprised to see an announcement of a Reynolds and Penrite combined deal at Kelly Racing in the next few days. As mentioned David's long time engineer and other Erebus staff have recently moved to Kelly Racing.

It puts Erebus in a bit of a hole, and with Brodie Kostecki, who was co driver for Erebus at Bathurst likely to take Dave's seat it will be two rookie drivers in the team, (Will Brown having been confirmed to take De Pasquale's vacated seat) potentially without the backing of Penrite, going into 2021. So with the team likely lacking a primary sponsor, 2 rookie drivers, and a host of new engineering staff it looks like a tricky road ahead for Erebus. I wish them well. I have always had a soft spot for Erebus and Betty Klimenko is a star in my eyes.

Here is the official statement and comment on this news.
David Reynolds will not race for Erebus Motorsport beyond 2020, the team has confirmed.

It has long been speculated that Reynolds was seeking to part ways with the team due to intra-team issues at the Dandenong South-based organisation.

At the season’s end, it was confirmed Reynolds’ engineer Alistair McVean had left the team.

It is anticipated McVean will be announced at Kelly Racing in the new year and will be joined by Reynolds, who is expected to replace the recently retired Rick Kelly.

De Pasquale’s engineer Mirko De Rosa has also left the team.

Speculation is rife that Erebus Motorsport’s primary sponsor Penrite Oil will follow Reynolds across to Kelly Racing.

In a statement from the team, Erebus Motorsport said neither party was able to continue working together and had “amicably” decided to part ways.

“My preference has been to stay at Erebus but unfortunately it is time for me to move on,” Reynolds said.

“I have really enjoyed my time with the team and leaving has been a very difficult decision to make.

“The team are a fantastic bunch of people that I’ve built really strong relationships with over the past five years and I am proud of what we have been able to achieve together.”

Team Owner Betty Klimenko said she would not get in the way of Reynolds’ desires to move on.

“David has been a significant part of our team since we moved to Melbourne in 2016,” she said.

“We have shared a lot of success together including winning the 2017 Bathurst 1000 and we thank David for all his efforts.

“However, unfortunately David has decided that his future lies elsewhere, and we do not wish to stop him taking another path.

“David needs to do what is best for him and we need to do what is best for our team’s future and long-term stability.

“Unfortunately, we were unable to come to an agreement and we have had to go our separate ways.

“We wish David and his new family all the best for their future.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/12/16/er ... -reynolds/

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Talk about a wild news day. A lot of people were predicting that Coulthard would be dropped from DJRTP but I don't think anyone expected he'd end up at Team Sydney, it's kind of like if Bottas actually went from Mercedes to Williams or something. Then again it seems like Tony Quinn (who owns his sponsor Local Legends) is maybe bankrolling them again like he did back when SVG was there, which is a good sign.

As for Reynolds, it's pretty extraordinary that he's leaving erebus after the 10 year contract he signed last year. I also quite like that team so I'm sad to see him leave and I hope that things aren't as toxic as they seem there. At least the two rookies they've got are very talented (and really already quite experienced) if a little wild.

Vassago
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Vassago » 1 month ago

So, both Kosteckis will run full-time next season? Brodie replacing Reynolds at Erebus and Jake at Stone Racing? I read that Zane Goddard and Jake Kostecki are upgraded to full-time which means Garry Jacobson is out?
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vassago wrote:
1 month ago
So, both Kosteckis will run full-time next season? Brodie replacing Reynolds at Erebus and Jake at Stone Racing? I read that Zane Goddard and Jake Kostecki are upgraded to full-time which means Garry Jacobson is out?
Certainly seems that way. I know their application to buy a rec that would allow MSR to enter a third car (ie all three of them), was declined by Supercars, and as all three are I believe 'self funded' from family and personal sponsorship I imagine Jacobson drew the short straw in how much budget he was bringing. Shame as I thought Jacobson was probably the most talented, albeit not a future champion.
I also think it is short sighted of Superars to want to restrict the entries by not selling the RECs they have in limbo. Its not like the grid is overfull.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

I think there's still a spot open at Team Sydney but I think he probably won't have the funding for that.

It seems like Holdsworth is probably out too since Tickford only has 3 RECs now as 23Red sold theirs to Tim Blanchard, and he doesn't bring as much funding as Courtney or Le Brocq. Apparently Tickford wanted to obtain a 4th REC but the other teams vetoed it and it was probably for Tom Randle anyway.