Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Bottom post of the previous page:

In the first overhaul in 1970/1971 they eased off the Flugplatz at the crest. Also the removed the bumps and jumps at Kesselchen, Schwalbenschwanz and Brünnchen.

In every VLN race you will see a lot of GT3 cars lift their nose a bit at the jump before Flugplatz. The way this Nissan flipped really amazes me. The cars don't reach such a high speed there. 220-240kmh ? maybe.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

240kmh is only a sneeze shy of what a 200 ton Airbus needs to achieve to take off, I know those are designed to go up and not down, but it's all relative, everything regardless of downforce ability has a take off speed.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often tbh.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Look at this.

The Glickenhaus car also leaves the track right before Schwedenkreuz.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah I saw that earlier, it's like they're running the cars so stiff that there's so little suspension movement (obviously) which means when/if they get a bit of bounce in them, physics is gonna bitch slap you quickly.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Metzo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: touring cars
Favourite Circuit: AVUS, Salzburgring

Post by Metzo »

it was just a matter of time until something like this happened. GT3 cars have reached the limit of what kind of cars should race at the Nordschleife today.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The Glickenhaus *drools*

About the Nissan, the underside of the car looks so flat, that must have something to do with its ability to take off. Let's hope it's car design rules that get changed and not the circuit as a result. And let's remember the old disclaimer that motorsport is dangerous.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

What an awful thing to have happen.

When was the last time a spectator died in this fashion?
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

I recon this may spell the end to the GT3 cars at the Ring. Those things have simply outgrown the circuit. During the 24 hour race last year someone calculated that in qualifying the GT3 cars had gone around the Nordschleife portion of the circuit pretty much as fast as Stefan Bellof did when he set the lap record on the original layout, in a Porsche 956. That's insane speed.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

theracer120 wrote:What an awful thing to have happen.

When was the last time a spectator died in this fashion?
In the 38 year long history of the VLN this has been the first dead spectator.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Isle Of Man TT = insane speed

Luckily they don't ban that event every time a rider is killed.

What happened yesterday was a freak accident which requires no action.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

It is a freak accident. Also the car was launched in the air by how it hitted the tire barriers.

edit: It is confirmed that a 49 year old Dutch spectator was fatally injured at the Nürburgring yesterday.

http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de/reg ... 99536.html
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah the end of the tyres acted like a catapult, I saw that once before at Donington, about 25 years ago when a FFord got launched off one and went over the pub into the carpark, it's a rare event, I hope they take that info account. My Dad said the same as Sam, but maybe the rules just need to be tweaked so the cars aren't quiet as fast, make the fence a bit stronger, bring it (the fence) closer to the barrier, raise the spectator area above the track and make sure nobody can get into the area behind the debris fencing, but don't change the actual track.

Nobody knows, but I bet if you could ask the spectator, he'd say don't change a thing, to me, if you travel to that sort of event in another Country, you're a dedicated fan and know the deal.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

http://www.motorsport.com/vln/news/gt3- ... -accident/

The GT3 cars are temporary banned from the Nordschleife...
www.motorsport.com wrote:On Sunday, the German motorsports federation, the DMSB, suspended the racing for certain vehicle types at the Nordschleife.

Vehicles of the SP7, SP8, SP9, SP10 and SP-X classes will not be allowed to race at the track until further notice.

The decision puts the Nurburgring 24 Hours in question, as it means no GT3 or GT4 cars would be allowed to race in the event, which takes place in May.
Metzo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: touring cars
Favourite Circuit: AVUS, Salzburgring

Post by Metzo »

they should also think about changing the tirewalls at flugplatz to prevent cars climbing up like this.

erwin greven wrote:Could have an impact on the WTCC race when the FIA over reacts.
i don't know, the wtcc cars aren't that fast as the GT3's. Honda tested the Civic during a VLN event last year ans where over 50 seconds slower the fastest GT3 and i think the WTCC cars have more aero/less power s that they can't blowover that easy.

knowing the FIA they'll probably add temporary chicanes :sarcasm:
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

A new video has emerged of the fatal crash at the Nurburgring, taken from behind the catchfence, pretty much right next to where the car came over the fence, ended up in the spectator area and finished up. No gore or anything (although for a brief second it looks like you might be able to see the victim), but obvious warnings apply.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

So you thinking it hit someone behind where the cameraman was, or where the car originally went over the fence?