2021 Supercars and Supports

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Reynolds has picked up damage being too agressive on Goddard and is smoking badly from a tyre rub. Surely he will have to stop before it blows.

I reckon Whincup and SVG are 15 seconds off the lead now in 8th and 9th with 3 still to pit.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I think with 19 to go it will be hard work for either Red Bull car to win this one. Mostert is flying and nearly 6 seconds clear of Waters and with the newest tyres of the lot of them.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

SVG passed Whincup for 5th.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

SVG passes Whincupfor 5th and ADP takes Waters for 2nd but Mostert is long gone with less than 2 to go

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Mostert wins.

Whincup passes SVG as he goes wide.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Great win for Mostert with ADP and Davison 2nd and 3rd. Waters 4th but SVG seemed to give 5th back to Whincup on the run to the flag..... perhaps JW let SVG pass him to see if SVG could pressure for the podium and then when clear he couldnt gave tthe place back. Who knows.

Great last couple of laps

Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago Is this Wes McDougall related to Dugal McDougall of years gone by?
Funny you should mention someone as obscure as Dugal McDougal..... many moons ago he worked in the pub we used to have our car meetings in and I got to know him, seeing him at races when he raced in Formula Ford, before he made it into V8SC temporarily with a Larry Perkins prepared car. I vaguely remember that after his first race Larry asked Dugal if they could borrow his car for the next round of the championship, which Dugal was not running in. Dugal agreed, and Russell Ingall totalled the car so Dugal ended up with a newer car to replace it.

Dugal also had a huge crash at Phillip Island in the rain which I remember the late Barry Sheene made one of his he 'has turned the car into a sausage' comments. The video became part of the intro to one of our Sport TV programs.

Also interesting is the way Dugal got into Motor Racing. Back in the early nineties he went to Adelaide for the GP with his Dad in their Mercedes road car. Phil Ward (who later started the Aussie Racing Cars category) was racing his Mercedes in the TC race supporting the GP. His alternator packed up. Somehow he ended up borrowing the alternator from the McDougal family car. After the racing the alternator was refitted to the road car and they set off back to Melbourne.

The alternator failed half way home leaving them stranded. To make up for the inconvenience Phil, who at the time ran a Go Kart racing business, offered Dugall a free drive day at his kart centre. Dugal got the racing bug and started racing Karts. He did well in karts and designed his own chassis.....and made a few quid flogging them to others. He moved on to FF. And then V8SC. He family had an Aloe Vera drink business which used to appear on his cars. There was a link with Pepsi but I know they didnt pay much and V8's were too expensive to run.

I know that Dugal now drives excavators for a living playing with diesels and anything to do with digging.

As for Wes McDougal I dont know if they are related.... all I know is Wes has been involved as an engineer in V8 and other categories for many (20+) years. He went to live in the UK working for Lister on the LM cars before coming back to Aus and working for Stone Brothers in the Ambrose days. He was still with them when it became Erebus, He left them and was at Matt STone Racing before joining T888 this year. He is the right sort of age for him to be a brother or cousin, but I have never read anything of them being linked. I do know that he went to a Melbourne University and first worked for Borland Racing Developments, a Melbourne company, so he was a Victorian based guy as was Dugal.
I'm familiar with that crash since I started watching some old V8 seasons when the pandemic started. I believe that was the 1999 round when Bargwanna has his own monster off in the PI rain.

First V8 race I watched in real-time was 2007 Bathurst so I decided to catch up on the old stuff. Right now I'm before the Canberra rounds of the 2000 season. Have to say I'm surprised how many mistakes Craig Lowndes made in the early part of the season. No wonder Mark Skaife run away with the title that season. Actually in 1999 it was Skaife that was plagued by various collisions and mistakes which helped Lowndes to win the title despite missing a whole round.

Going back on McDougall I'm surprised how many privateers were still in operation in late 90s/early 00. And some of them were genuine amateurs like 50yo Mike Conway driving some ancient unsponsored Holden. That had the feel of 1970s F1 for lack of better comparison. I don't quite know when these privateers were eventually phased out and replaced by more pro entries. The likes of Cameron McLean or Rodney Forbes are still hanging strong in 2000 season.

Gotta say for all the early speed shown Garth Tander must be disappointed to only win one series title IIRC. He made Bargwanna look like Bottas when compared to Hamilton.

I started watching from the 2004 season before going back to the 90s. Funny how unreliable FPR was in 2004, it felt like Lowndes had engine issues every other round (mostly overheating). Stone Brothers were clearly the top Ford team.

As for 1999/2000 - Fords were miles off the HRT pace. John Bowe with the new CAT team has hit a wall in 2000, I see he changed teams later in the season, I suppose he was fed up by all the mechanical issues and lack of pace. Glenn Seton was like the only Ford runner who could keep up with HRT and Tander (plus Paul Radisich when he didn't run into trouble).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Got to mention a great result too for Zane Goddard who came home behind the Red Bulls in seventh, with Reynolds, Courtney and Percat rounding out the 10.

So Mostert takes his first win for WAU and also the first non RBR win of the year. With RBR not even making the podium. And a double podium for DJR is good to see. Chaz also gets the 5 point bonus for fastest lap.

SVG still leads the championship but now by 139 points from Whincup.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

@Vassago yeah I also miss the earlier days of the V8s when privateers were still in abundance. I knew a number of guys who would do a few rounds per year. Sadly when the big budget teams like HRT and the like came along costs to run just got out of hand. It suddenly went from something where a (wealthy) privateer / successful business man could run a fairly competitive season on a few hundred thousand dollars to suddenly becoming well over a million minimum, and then the budgets started to escalate. Now its a 10million dollar per year for someone like RBR.

There were many individuals such as the likes of McLean, Conway, Forbes and McDougal who would be able to more thn make up numbers. John Faulkener was another, and the two partners at Lansvale Crash Repairs (Reed and Ashby) ,Rod Nash, Paul Trevethan, Terry Finnegan and Steve Ellery (who interestingly raced in the recent Bathurst 6 hours for the first time since those days, co driving with his two sons).

I think at Bathurst back then they still used to have to run pre-qualifying for something like 20 cars as well as the main teams. to trim the numbers down to a 55 car grid that was allowed to start!

Fortunately our TV channel here replays many old races and I often find myself watching them.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
I think at Bathurst back then they still used to have to run pre-qualifying for something like 20 cars as well as the main teams. to trim the numbers down to a 55 car grid that was allowed to start!
Forgot to add what we all know anyway but it cements the point we are making.... last year, with a wildcard they had just 25 cars start. And ended up with 19 finishers, two of those 28 and 40 laps respectively short of the race distance.

I can clearly remember when we had the grid round the last corner and half way up to what became the exit of the Chase :sorrow: :tearful:

Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Kurt Kostecki was granted three wild cards with WAU #27. He will run Tailem Bend, Hidden Valley & Barbagallo.

How do these wild cards work? It's like three per season much like in Moto3? Since Randle got WC at the very same rounds I suppose the selection is not unrelated?
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago Kurt Kostecki was granted three wild cards with WAU #27. He will run Tailem Bend, Hidden Valley & Barbagallo.

How do these wild cards work? It's like three per season much like in Moto3? Since Randle got WC at the very same rounds I suppose the selection is not unrelated?
According to the regs on Supercars site there are between two to four wildcards entries allowed this year at all rounds except Townsville or NZ, though Super2 entrants are only allowed to wildcard at events where Super2 isn't part of the support package.

I'm not sure what the limit on the number of wildcards someone can do is but BJR had a wildcard at five events back in 2019 (four for Smith and one for Blanchard)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ingall at Bathurst in T888 Wildcard entry with Feeney. :shocked:

Talking of wildcards I see T8 have indicated they are running a wildcard entry at Bathurst for Broc Feeney...... co driven by the not driven a V8 for 5 years Russell Ingall! :omg: The car is to be sponsored by Supercheap, who ironically were cast aside by Supercars as an event sponsor after last year's event in favour of Repco.
https://autoaction.com.au/2021/04/20/in ... t-bathurst

I must admit I did not see that one coming. Well, not Ingall anyway, as he last won the event in 1997 and last ran at Bathurst with Rick Kelly some 6 years ago. Feeney of course does not surprise me as he is one of those thought to be in the running to replace Whincup in the #88 T8car. Feeney is driving for T8 in Super 2 this year, having moved from Tickford this year after partnering Courtney in last years 1000.

T8 must have found a loophole / got dispensation for the "cant run a Super 2 driver if Super 2 is on the support programme" ruling. Super 2 is always on the support card at Bathurst to my memory.

Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Even if Feeney wins Super2 this season how serious would be the idea to put him in arguably the best vacated seat on the grid? It's not like he's the next Craig Lowndes or something? With no Holden factory backing anymore I suppose they can't put him in any of the other Holden teams or even have a satellite team like the Young Lions from years gone by?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago Even if Feeney wins Super2 this season how serious would be the idea to put him in arguably the best vacated seat on the grid? It's not like he's the next Craig Lowndes or something? With no Holden factory backing anymore I suppose they can't put him in any of the other Holden teams or even have a satellite team like the Young Lions from years gone by?
Yeah the question of who will get probably the most coveted seat in V8SC is one that is going to be interesting.... the hype around Feeney and his it seems favourite status for the to be vacated seat does not fly with T888's approach in the past.

They have never gone with anyone without experience before. Going back to their start when they took over Briggs Motorsport they had Paul Radisich and Max Wilson driving, but they were IIRC a carryover from Briggs. Next year they got Lowndes and Ellery.... the former needs no introduction and Ellery had been involved in V8s for a decade. Next year Ellery was replaced by Whincup, the nearest T888 has ever gone to getting a rookie, but he had already had 4 or 5 seasons in the category with GRM and Tasman, backing up his FF championship win.... in those teams he had shown himself for be a solid and reliable performer.

Lowndes and Whincup were there for years, in a period which included the team going from a factory supported Ford Team to a Holden backed team through to the Holden Factory Team (Whilst there was a Factory). In 2016 SVG came on board in a 3rd T888 car and with a wealth of experience with Team NZ, Stone Brothers and Tekno. He was proven without doubt, almost winning Bathurst until a late car issue interfered, with Tekno. Immediately on joining T888 (as a third driver lets not forget) he was winning races and indeed with Premat won the Enduro Championship.

Even their enduro drivers have never been rookies or inexperienced drivers. The likes of Muller, Simonsen, James Thompson, , Giovinardi before they turned to the likes of Skaife Richards and Tander.

Indeed the only time they have previously run a wildcard was back in 2013 for Priaulx and Ekström. Are they running one this year purely to put Feeney in a seat?

Has the talent pool changed that much that nowadays they feel they dont need a long experience in Touring cars beyond a year or two in Super 2? Has Roland Dane mellowed that much? I cant believe that Whincup is pushing for the team to suddenly change what has been a well tried and long format of not being a team to launch newcomers to the main game. If it is JW's influence and a decision is made for Feeney to get the gig, and it goes wrong, I wouldnt want to be in JW's shoes. Of course one thing I have just thought of as I write is maybe it is the influence of Tony Quinn, now the major shareholder of the team. Ne has said he will not be involved in day to day matters but maybe the young charger thing is his influence?

Maybe with the advent of the other young guys recently, with limited experience, has changed things. The Fullwoods, Browns, even Brodie K (more of him later) etc.

Anyway, the odds seem to be stacking towards Feeney taking over JWs seat next year. Lets not forget he is already running the coveted (and never been used other than on a car driven by Lowndes IIRC) #888. Presumably that will likely be the number that the wildcard entry carries.

Is the first year of Gen 3 the best time for a rookie to be thrown in at the deep end?

Im not even sure what existing established driver contract situations are like, ie guys like Waters, Mostert.

Whatever, I am sure there will be no shortage of applicants. :smiley:

Personally I would if I was going to look at those with less experience I would be knocking on Brodie Kostecki's door. He is only 23 but first raced Karts aged 3, and when he was in his early teens moved Stateside to drive in divisional NASCAR, and then 4 years I think in Super2. Plus I think he has shown talent a plenty and he will have a year in the main game plus a couple of Bathursts under his belt by then..

Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Whincup gave the team a full year to find his replacement so there won't be any excuses other than shallow talent pool to choose from to begin with. Like I've said before, Nick Percat makes most sense as the Whincup replacement though he is having a mediocre year so far, maybe he thinks too far ahead and is convinced there isn't anyone who can beat him for the job. Anton de Pasquale was likewise the most probable McLaughlin replacement at DJR which has happened indeed. I don't know much about the Australian driver market to say whether any of the Kosteckis is legit or are they just another bunch of Speraficos here.