Champcar racing

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Frankie wrote:Here's an example of racing at its best, we'll never see this again

http://youtube.com/watch?v=soYF-9SJ1h0
'

Thats the fucking best race ever, altough a tragic one. What speed did they have down the straight? 370-380kph?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Didnt find that a great race. I prefer Champ Cars as it is now, but i would prefer the classic drivers. Except PT who should adjust his mirrors :evil:
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

The full race is available at RU. It is the best race of all time IMO, together with the 1999 and 2000 race at Michigan.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

DoubleFault wrote:Didnt find that a great race. I prefer Champ Cars as it is now, but i would prefer the classic drivers. Except PT who should adjust his mirrors :evil:
To all respect but... ChampCar is in no ways better today than in 1998. Now there is 1 engine manufacturer and 1 chassi manufacturer and 1 tyre manufacturer and all those crappy street circuits is swalloving the series
Back then there was 4 engine builders, 4 chassi constructors, 2 tyre manufacturers and all the best circuits in the United States.

Frankie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Frankie »

It's not looking that good next year either

only 15 races

no ovals

yes more cars but everyone's a no name (except for PT)

crappy street courses

A new car that looks just ok

Ten years ago you can say the opposite for everything
Aggressor
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Aggressor »

I started watching Champcar back in 93, and stopped after 2003. Ten years of ups and downs. I even started to love ovalracing. Thou the high speed ovals where the best ones to watch, the road tracks/permanent tracks where more entertaining. Ex. Zanardis pass on Herta at laguna Seca in the corkscrew.

Today i dont like the racing in champcar, its more like watching a F3000-race. I cant say anything about IRL, coz i have not seen it since Brack´s accident.

The split between these two was the worst that could happen to american openwheel-racing. The damage is obvius now. It is filled with bad decisions and politics.

The americans are not crazy about F1 because we have similar problems. I think this is a general problem with all openwheel-racing at the moment.

But then, what the h**l would i know....

:wink:
"Don´t worry about me. I could shake hands with you right now and it wouldn´t hurt."

-------Greg Moore, Fontana October 31, 1999-------
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

About the same thing for me as for Aggressor. When all the big teams disappeared from ChampCar before the 2003 season my interest of it died. The same thing for IRL when Bräck crashed. Did see like 1 race in 2004, but can be because nothing was broadcasted here anymore. Now we got coverage, but I only got excited about the 500.

Aggressor, wasnt it that SVT broadcasted CART when Stefan Johansson drove there? Too young to remember properly...

Aggressor
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Aggressor »

Yupp, it sure was SVT. We usally get to see motorsport live on tv here when we have a swede running. But as soon as Brack got hurt and decided he would not continue or when Johansson retired, SVT took it off the air.

It was the same with F1. For as long Ronnie was alive, SVT aired the races. When Johansson went to Ferrari, SVT aired the races. Was it back in 93 when TV4 started to air F1 again or earlier?

But you could always watch it thanks to Eurosport (back in the old days,F1, champcar,Le Mans etc). But this year not even them showed the 500-race (or Le Mans). Really pi***s me off!
"Don´t worry about me. I could shake hands with you right now and it wouldn´t hurt."

-------Greg Moore, Fontana October 31, 1999-------
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Aggressor wrote:Yupp, it sure was SVT. We usally get to see motorsport live on tv here when we have a swede running. But as soon as Brack got hurt and decided he would not continue or when Johansson retired, SVT took it off the air.

It was the same with F1. For as long Ronnie was alive, SVT aired the races. When Johansson went to Ferrari, SVT aired the races. Was it back in 93 when TV4 started to air F1 again or earlier?

But you could always watch it thanks to Eurosport (back in the old days,F1, champcar,Le Mans etc). But this year not even them showed the 500-race (or Le Mans). Really pi***s me off!
Le Mans was available on Canal + and Viasat Sport nowadays has the rights for IndyCar and NASCAR, altough they prefer to send NFL live instead of NASCAR now.
I dont now when TV4 started with F1, I think it was 1993, Im sure that they broadcasted in 1994 at least. I still have the 1992 Belgian GP on tape but I dont know what channel that was on, it was Stanley Dickens and some other dude as commentators at least.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Eurosport is rubbish these days. They're only interested in showing tennis or golf. Although, yeah, they do show MotoGP and World Rally Championship, but so does the BBC and ITV.

I wish F1 would go back to the BBC, I'm fed up with having 9 ad-breaks over the whole 3 hours of coverage.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

I have to defend Eurosport here. They have to cater for SPORT. They have a deal with the WTA to show all womens tour tennis, which is a big coup for them. They show the odd mens matches, but only from certain tournaments. That is for the Tennis fans.

For Motorsport fans, they show more WRC than ITV. They show more Moto GP and lower classes than than BBC. They are better there, and they also show World Series, GP2 and Champ Car. They are good for Motorsport.
BleedingGums

Post by BleedingGums »

Oh man... :haha:

T.V the world over cause's friction for motorspoprt fans...

You guy's should try being an F1 fan in Oz.... :angry:
The blues isn't about making yourself feel better, it's about making other people feel worse.
StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

Frankie wrote:It's not looking that good next year either

only 15 races

no ovals

yes more cars but everyone's a no name (except for PT)

crappy street courses

A new car that looks just ok

Ten years ago you can say the opposite for everything
Sums it up well. I'm sad that we lost the June date, but at least IndyCar has that weekend now...
PTRACER wrote: I wish F1 would go back to the BBC, I'm fed up with having 9 ad-breaks over the whole 3 hours of coverage.
Spoiled brat... :tongue:
Jayski wrote:Bass Pro Shops 500 Race and Commercial Breakdown of 10-29-06:
Total number of commercials: 154
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 83
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 31
Restarts missed due to being away at commercial: 0
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 2:50pm/et
End time to record race/commercial periods: 6:38pm/et
Total minutes: 228
Minutes of race broadcast: 154
Minutes of commercials: 74
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

StrtRacrZ wrote:Spoiled brat... :tongue:
Jayski wrote:Bass Pro Shops 500 Race and Commercial Breakdown of 10-29-06:
Total number of commercials: 154
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 83
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 31
Restarts missed due to being away at commercial: 0
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 2:50pm/et
End time to record race/commercial periods: 6:38pm/et
Total minutes: 228
Minutes of race broadcast: 154
Minutes of commercials: 74
That race was the first NASCAR race I saw with commercials intead fo onboard pictures that we usually get. Incredibly annoying.