Cheever Racing quits IRL

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cheever Racing quits IRL

Post by StrtRacrZ »

Eddie Cheever's Indy Racing League season is over.
The veteran owner-driver has suspended operations at Cheever Racing due to a lack of funding.

Cheever, whose operation shrunk from a two car team to a one car team this season, had planned to run the first three races of the season in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Cheever then elected to continue racing through the next four events before making the decision to cease operations prior to this weekend's race in Nashville.

Cheever's best result was 10th at the season opener in Homestead - the only top 10 result in seven races. However, he was involved in a controversial on-track incident at Watkins Glen involving rookie Marco Andretti.

"We may have not had the best equipment, due to our limited budget, but we did the best with what we had," said Cheever. "I am sorry to see these guys go, and I hope that we can be reunited again in the future."

"We will continue to look for partners to participate in the IndyCar Series."

The decision to suspend the IRL team will not affect Cheever's Grand Am or Indy Pro Series teams.

Cheever's team is the second to close up shop this season. Carmelo Hemelgarn Racing closed its door after the Indy 500, leaving just 18 cars on the grid. Ironcially, P.J. Chesson was hoping to latch on with Cheever's squad in the wake of Hemelgarn's decision to stop racing.

:|
Corsair
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Corsair »

I'm sorry but good riddance. He's been crazy this year and really needed to retire. Please note that I'm saying good riddance because of this year alone..
ASH
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ASH »

2008 and the IRL is history!

I don't think this will "shock" someone. I find it quite arrogant what Marco Andretti said about Eddie Cheever but thats how things work.

Good luck Eddie.
Work as hard as you can! Do it as well as you can! Don't shit where you eat!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Sad really, I like Eddie Cheever.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

Sad that Eddie's fortunes are on the wain. Always liked his astute comments. You knew that he wrote poetry, of course?
Miles to go B4 I sleep
StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

I dunno what to say. I laugh at IndyCar because now they're 5 cars away from CCWS...Cheever...a good driver but was not well liked.

Anyway, I'd love to see the DaniCa(r) series merge and/or die...same with ChampCar...
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

O well, was bound to happen.. they were achieving almost nothing in the series. I think next will be Foyt's operation.. its just pitiful how bad his team's become.. tonite, Jeff Bucknum, who replaced Felipe Giaffone finished dead-last at Nashville.

We're just reminded over and over, everytime we watch either of these series, what a huge mistake Tony G made.

Sandeep