Round 1: Genesys 300 @ Texas Motor Speedway

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5271
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Round 1: Genesys 300 @ Texas Motor Speedway

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

Latest post of the previous page:

They're likely not. But machines haven't taken over the world yet and still need people to look after them in case they gunk up, and they still need people to drive trucks and trains to move raw materials to make the things.

And if those people are holed up at home, then things are going to get disrupted.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

User avatar
John
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 6988
Joined: 4 years ago
Real Name: Jo
Location: Insert Swedish countryball here

Post by John » 4 months ago

jimclark wrote:
4 months ago

Any how, I thought it was far more entertaining than the usual draft fest that's usually de rigeur on big ovals; more of a driver's test.
As such, I vote for more traction goo on more circuits in the future.....(hmm, Indy on the front and back straights....????) ;)


You'll like last year's race then. It was just like the races were in the 1990's. The current aero kit has gone a long way in removing the awful pack racing. Those who grew up after the 1990's are probably too young to rejoice, but for those of us who were around when CART was at it's best, it's fantastic to see the direction the series is heading in.

I would love a second chassis manufacturer, but the series is still fragile and you probably wouldn't want to rock the boat too much yet.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.

User avatar
jimclark
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 729
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: jim
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now
Location: Champion Porsche/Audi territory

Post by jimclark » 4 months ago

MonteCristo wrote:
4 months ago
They're likely not. But machines haven't taken over the world yet and still need people to look after them in case they gunk up, and they still need people to drive trucks and trains to move raw materials to make the things.

And if those people are holed up at home, then things are going to get disrupted.
I would have thought that you would have thought that I would have thought of that (phew!). I had.
But don't you think that those working in the racing division are a different breed and would have gone in and got the job done? I do, and would hope that that's at least the kind of commitment was working on my 200+ mph tires...... ;)

In the end it doesn't matter. It is what it is. :down:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

User avatar
jimclark
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 729
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: jim
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now
Location: Champion Porsche/Audi territory

Post by jimclark » 4 months ago

John wrote:
4 months ago
it's fantastic to see the direction the series is heading in.
Maybe, but i wouldn't start counting my chickens yet. There's too much to risk in not pleasing the masses that are more interested in a "show" then real racing.
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5271
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

jimclark wrote:
4 months ago
MonteCristo wrote:
4 months ago
They're likely not. But machines haven't taken over the world yet and still need people to look after them in case they gunk up, and they still need people to drive trucks and trains to move raw materials to make the things.

And if those people are holed up at home, then things are going to get disrupted.
I would have thought that you would have thought that I would have thought of that (phew!). I had.
But don't you think that those working in the racing division are a different breed and would have gone in and got the job done? I do, and would hope that that's at least the kind of commitment was working on my 200+ mph tires...... ;)

In the end it doesn't matter. It is what it is. :down:
*shrug* My workplace ordered me home.

If Firestone said you can't come in to work, then unless they have a tyre factory in their basement, I imagine it would be difficult to make tyres.
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

User avatar
Ian-S
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Posts: 9984
Joined: 12 years ago

Post by Ian-S » 4 months ago

If America was anything like the UK places were forced to shut, they were given 24 hours notice to close and not re-open until allowed to, factories, offices, pubs, theme parks etc. Our local industrial area was a ghost town so much so that they had dear and rabbits running through it most days.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.

User avatar
jimclark
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 729
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: jim
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now
Location: Champion Porsche/Audi territory

Post by jimclark » 4 months ago

MonteCristo wrote:
4 months ago
If Firestone said you can't come in to work, then unless they have a tyre factory in their basement, I imagine it would be difficult to make tyres.
That's a mighty big IF. Being THE OFFICIAL TIRE of IndyCar, I don't see Firestone not fulfilling their obligation.That would be a big publicity hit just as the "35 lap" limit is.
It's not like the racing tire division has to crank out millions of tires with hundreds or thousands of workers. Protecting the employees wouldn't have been that difficult.
But, I don't know either so, like I said, it is what it is; it's in the past and that's that. :)
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark

User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5271
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

In case anyone didn't see the race and is interested, here are the 30 minute highlights.

Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

Post Reply