kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The FIA confirmed the halo wouldn’t have positively changed the outcomes of a few incidents they studied, Jules’ accident being one of those.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

John wrote: 4 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 4 years ago
Halo wouldn't have saved Jules because of the deceleration forces.
Do we have a number?
Bianchi was subjected to a 92G stop. On the other hand many have survived / decelerated at far greater rates than Jules, and survived, pre halo, pre HANS et al. David Purley's car decelerated from 108mph to zero in a distance of little more than two feet..... thats 180G near as dammit.
Kenny Brack survived 214 G at Texas in 2003.
(Im not saying Jules would have survived had a Halo been fitted to his car, as @kals mentioned and other studies have shown.)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Not so bad from the side, but from head-on it looks like they stuffed a giant blender in the cockpit.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

DaleJuniorFan wrote: 4 years agoThey stuffed a giant bender in the cockpit.
Max Chilton.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Max Chilton.
*everyone likes this post*
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

John wrote: 4 years ago
Max Chilton.
*everyone likes this post*
*Max Chilton approves*
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

That thing looks as ugly as fuck and they should have probably delayed it until the next car to incorporate it properly instead of bolt it on, after all how many years has it been since the Vegas and Pocono fatalities which this thing will prevent? It's not like they're knee jerk reacting like the FIA did.

oh well I guess if it saves someone being scalped on the debris fencing at a 1.5 miler, oh.... or Pocono, nope... oh, Nevermind, I guess it'll grow on me eventually.

I thought we had learnt by now, you cannot make anything 100% safe, 100% of the time, and generally the more you try the more dangerous you can make it in certain circumstances... Guess not, plus it's not like Indycars don't have a funny habit of catching fire, or rolling, or rolling and catching fire, not gonna be so easy just to lift the car up and let Sato slide out now is it?

Urgh, and they wonder why audience numbers are nosediving.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ian-S wrote: 4 years ago That thing looks as ugly as fuck and they should have probably delayed it until the next car to incorporate it properly instead of bolt it on, after all how many years has it been since the Vegas and Pocono fatalities which this thing will prevent? It's not like they're knee jerk reacting like the FIA did.

oh well I guess if it saves someone being scalped on the debris fencing at a 1.5 miler, oh.... or Pocono, nope... oh, Nevermind, I guess it'll grow on me eventually.

I thought we had learnt by now, you cannot make anything 100% safe, 100% of the time, and generally the more you try the more dangerous you can make it in certain circumstances... Guess not, plus it's not like Indycars don't have a funny habit of catching fire, or rolling, or rolling and catching fire, not gonna be so easy just to lift the car up and let Sato slide out now is it?

Urgh, and they wonder why audience numbers are nosediving.
It's not like IndyCars catch fires that often. Unless you mean ethanol fires in the pits, but it's not like it traps drivers in the cars anyway. Besides, most fires after crashes are minor anyway. If it's there, and it works, then use it. Hopefully it'll look better once it's painted.

Besides, if Indycars fana leave because of a safety device, the series deserves to fold.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Erm Sato's car was on fire at Pocono after it rolled.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ian-S wrote: 4 years ago Erm Sato's car was on fire at Pocono after it rolled.
Yes. I was hesitant to name it since it was so small. It wasn't like Simona de Silvestro at Texas.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Anyway, @Ian-S - as I'm sure you will agree with me here, no matter what you think of the screen, that nose job is way bigger of an atrocity. :whistling:

Pagenaud reported that visibility in the rain is even better than with an helmet as the Rain-X disperses the rain drops way better than a visor does.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Yep, because they do so much racing in the rain...
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Anybody who has driven down the motorway with Rain-X on their screen could have told you it wasn't going to be an issue (my personal, likely unbeaten record is London to Hayle (Lands End) in continuous pouring rain without switching the windscreen wipers on once).

@John yes that was the other example I was trying to think of but couldn't remember, they almost broke her leg trying to drag her out of that car when she got caught up in the belts, could you imagine if that happened with the aeroscreen? I hope it never happens but that's the kind of situation where the aeroscreen will hinder things.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

DoubleFart wrote: 4 years ago Yep, because they do so much racing in the rain...
New Orleans says hello. :whistling:

From the top of my head, Barber, IndyGP, Detroit 1 was wet races last season.

Anyway OUR LORD AND FUCKING SAVIOR MARCUS MOTHER...

Ah, can't do it... Marcus Ericsson will drive the #8 Chip Ganassi car next year. IMSA people to work on it. Bringing his own sponsorship. A bit surprised that Chip would take him onboard. But regardless, brilliant that we have two Swedes still racing next year. Coverage was 10/10 last year. And great for the series with an additional car.

Sauce: https://racer.com/2019/10/08/ericsson-c ... r-in-2020/

And per the article, CGR might still field a fourth car for Askew.
Last edited by John 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ian-S wrote: 4 years ago Anybody who has driven down the motorway with Rain-X on their screen could have told you it wasn't going to be an issue (my personal, likely unbeaten record is London to Hayle (Lands End) in continuous pouring rain without switching the windscreen wipers on once).

@John yes that was the other example I was trying to think of but couldn't remember, they almost broke her leg trying to drag her out of that car when she got caught up in the belts, could you imagine if that happened with the aeroscreen? I hope it never happens but that's the kind of situation where the aeroscreen will hinder things.
Is Rain-X really that brilliant? How does it work with dirt and grime? Can you still run the wipers to clean dirt or will that ruin the Rain-X?

A big part of Silvestro's crash was that the AMR safety team was like a bunch of monkeys trying to hump a football. The fire should never have grown that big to begin with. But yeah, an out of control fire will be a problem, especially if the driver is trapped.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

So I see Ganassi has re-signed Kimball.... I mean re-signed Chilton... I mean signed Ericsson...

Fuck this, I'm going for a lie down.