Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The Sonoma season finale is this weekend, race starts at 10pm UK time. JW's death has really removed all the potential excitement of the battle between JPM and Rahal and really I'm only watching the race to see JPM seal the title.

It's double points and Dixon, Power, Castroneves and even Newgarden are mathematically capable of winning. We're talking Rahal finishing 1st and JPM in 4th or lower for Rahal to win, down to Newgarden getting maximum points for everything and all the other drivers getting nothing.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Based on recent roadie form, I'd say Rahal could pull a white rabbit out his hat and win this.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote:The Sonoma season finale is this weekend, race starts at 10pm UK time. JW's death has really removed all the potential excitement of the battle between JPM and Rahal and really I'm only watching the race to see JPM seal the title.

It's double points and Dixon, Power, Castroneves and even Newgarden are mathematically capable of winning. We're talking Rahal finishing 1st and JPM in 4th or lower for Rahal to win, down to Newgarden getting maximum points for everything and all the other drivers getting nothing.
10 pm UK means 11 here . Way too late for the 4:30am start on Monday. Might have to find a video of the race later next week. Sonoma is one of my favourite venues world wide
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

It's one of the most difficult to drive, but people on other forums aren't expecting an exciting race because of the layout.

Though they said that about Pocono though and I didn't find that boring.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

The series has tweaked a few things to make ovals more interesting and challenging. Aero, power, etc... When Indy first went back to Pocono in 2012 it was a single file fuel mileage race *yawn*. Last year was a little better and this year was very good until Karam's accident. Tweaks for road courses won't make such a big performance and competition difference as they do on ovals. Sonoma has never provided a good Indy race (someone can suggest otherwise), but I'm hoping tomorrow can be different.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

kals wrote:He's received a lot of flack this year, but I can't help but feel for Sage Karam.
Autosport.com wrote:Sage Karam struggling to come to terms with Justin Wilson's crash
By Mark Glendenning Saturday, August 29th 2015, 06:02 GMT

Sage Karam hopes being in the IndyCar paddock at Sonoma will help him come to terms with the circumstances of Justin Wilson's death following a crash at Pocono last Sunday.

Wilson was fatally injured after being struck by airborne debris shed from Karam's Ganassi car when he hit the wall 20 laps from the finish.

While there has been no suggestion the rookie should shoulder any blame for the freak incident, Karam admitted he has been having difficulty coming to terms with what happened.

"It's been a tough week," said Karam who will be replaced in Ganassi's #8 entry by Sebastian Saavedra this weekend as scheduled in their part-time deals.

"I've been working with a psychologist this week, I've worked with him in the past, but he's really been there for me this week.

"It's been tough for me, but the main thing is Justin's family, and I can't imagine what they are going through.

"A lot of [the recovery] is just getting out of the house.

"For me, right now, it's the night-time that is the worst, when you are sitting there thinking about things.

"Emotionally if I were to be in a car, I'd go and do what Justin would want me to do. I'd want to go out there and be a badass.

"If I needed to I would get in a car, but right now I think having this week off is the right thing for me."

CRASH STILL A MYSTERY

Karam was in contention for the Pocono lead when the rear of his car snapped out and pitched him hard into the outside wall.

He said he has since watched video of the crash "probably 100 times", but still cannot explain it.

"The car didn't break, didn't hit the apron. I was past the bump in Turn 1. It was a late corner spin; it just went, and when it went, it went fast," he said.

While the series is yet to release any official information about Wilson's accident, evidence appears to suggest that the chain of events that led to the Briton's helmet being struck by Karam's flying nosecone was so precise as to be virtually unrepeatable.

This offers scant comfort to Karam however, and the 20-year-old hopes that he and the Wilson family can ultimately provide support to each other.

"It was a fluke thing. He was 10 or 11 cars back; it was such a freak accident," Karam said.

"Even though it was a fluke thing, at night I'm sitting there in bed, and that's when you're thinking things and you look up at the ceiling and you think 'what if'.

"There is no comfort in a situation like this. It is a tough time. I'm just hoping that his family is able to get through this with me.

"I haven't talked to [Wilson's wife] Julia yet. That's something I really want to be able to do when the time is right.

"But I have talked to [Wilson's brother] Stef - I was with Stef the night it happened.

"Me and Justin were in the same hospital. I talked to [Stefan] there and then yesterday we exchanged a few texts.

"Out of all the people that can pick me up, his family is going to be the most influential."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I suppose none of us really considered how Sage Karam must feel for being responsible for Wilson's death. Is he racing this weekend?

Oriol Servia is taking over JW's car, hoping for a clean but exciting race.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Karam has sharing the car with Saavedra throughout the season. Pocono was Karam's last race of 2015.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Both HD and SD streams are available for this race via Acestream. Coverage has already began.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Pretty standard stuff so far. Montoya has gone forwards. Rahal has gone backwards. No fireworks so far.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Montoya hit teammate Power and had to pit. They're both running dead last.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

My heart rate is going crazy over this race finish!!

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Dixon is champion on a tiebreak. Omg.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Meh, underwhelming race. Undeserving champ. Double points bollocks. The Indy 500 may also have been double points, but it's the Indy 500. That result should weigh in on a tie break, rather than wins over the season.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

The last two Indycar weekends have left me feeling pretty numb for very different reasons. Very sad and disappointed. The three stars of the season were Montoya, Rahal and Newgarden and each came out of the finale with nothing. I'm not going to complain about the double-points as it is what it is. But this doesn't feel like the right or fair result.

That's just the ugly side of racing showing itself.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I fell asleep and woke up on the last lap and all the other important bits, feel the same as you, plus the season ends way too early but I know I'm beating a dead horse to deaf people there.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.