Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I agree. Yeah, they make mistakes, they hit the wall, some of the incidents are quite silly, but it seems more 'grown up' than F1.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Ian-S wrote:Probably, but hopefully nobody will get killed in the "World Championship" this time.

Indycar never ceases to amaze me, they have a funny habit of pulling a white rabbit from the hat and producing great racing even when it appears to not be the case, they really need to capitalise on this as these races are consistently far better than either F1 or NASCAR.
:agreepost:

The good thing is, is that Indycar this year has listened to teams and fans and implemented rules that has lead to good racing and more challenge for the drivers. Which is commendable. And yet there are still sections of Indycar that want the current leadership team to be booted out.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah that was just exploding as I went away, so has anything happened since?

I thought it sounded like AJ Foyt and Penske was behind it at the time.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Most of it was lead by Andretti. As far as I know nothing has changed. Let the fuckers like Andretti head off and fail in Nascar and leave the likeable teams in the series please.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yup, the only issue there is Andretti owns the promotional rights to a few of the Indycar races...
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Well, the only issue is Andretti...
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

If only Indycar had proper TV deal in the states, the show they've put on this year would've done them a whole lot of good. Even more so if RHR becomes the first american champion since Sam Hornish JR. Just a shame that nobody can actually see it...

I really want Power to take the title, but I have a funny feeling that he is going to continue the tradition of Penske drivers throwing away championships at the last minute, dating all the way back to the pit lane spin for Briscoe in 2009. On the other hand, I really wouldn't mind for RHR to take the title either, he has done a great job this year and it would be nice to have a non-Ganassi, non-Penske driver take the title.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... ty-for-rhr

RHR is not at all the best driver on the grid, but he has yelled so good with Andretti, and that is why he is battling for the championship. Moving away can kill his career.

Another case of such a scenario: James Courtney at Dick Johnson Racing. Won a championship for them, moved to the hotshot Holden Racing Team; has done nothing since. Be smart here RHR.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Last race of the year tommorow (I think) and Mike Conway is out, replaced by Wade Cunningham.

Conway has said he is no longer comfortable racing on ovals. Respect to him for admitting that, and tbh I'm not surprised. His Indy 2010 smash was huge, and this years Indy crash was pretty big as well. Add in the accident for DW in last years finale and the danger must go through drivers minds more often now.

I think Damon Hill said once racing drivers are scared they should quit and never race again.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yup, now he's become scared of ovals, he'll be finding problems everywhere.

Might as well retire now, he'll never win again with that mindset.

It will be interesting to see how AJF looks at this.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Sports cars for Conway then.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

such a shame this race is at an unreasonable time for us Europeans. Then again, the series is not entirely intended for the European audience ;)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Cheeveer wrote:Sports cars for Conway then.
Pffft Sports Cars, Indy Cars all look the same now.....

All it needs is a couple of cycle mudguards on the front like the UK Clubmans Sportscars used to do.
(Richard Mallock used to run his Clubmans cars in open wheeler formulae such as F Atlantic, as late as 1976 / 77. Also his Dad, Arthur ran early F2 (end of the sixties), by removing the front mudguards and the rear body work, some which looked very similar in style to the Indycar rear, albeit it was fully enclosed from the sidepods back to the rear in later cars, along with an [*Insert formula category spec width rear wing and tyres], plus the relevant engine. Probably became the last front engined cars in those categories..... I think 'Slapper' Max pre his FIA days actually ran one in F2. :dunno:

Actually here is a pic of my old mate Richard Mallock, running one of the family made Mallock U2 Clubmans cars in Formula Libre spec. Richard actually ran a Mallock front engined car in Formula-Ford as late as 1982, and not far off the leading pace either.

Older brother Ray Mallock (now with a Motor Sport 'empire' of his own) ran an F3 version in the early seventies.
In the right hand pic is Father Arthur Mallock in an F2 race at the Palace.

Image Image
Just a thought, but did we not nearly have the Delta Wing project as an Indycar anyway? Or am I dreaming it? :dunno:
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Yes. "Nearly".

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The new Indycar does produce more wild racing from what I've seen so far. The Indy 500 this year was quite a lot more hectic than previous races, the tyre/aero package seems to have a lot to do with it. I don't blame Mike for bailing out.

Was Conway ever looking good for an F1 seat? He tested for Honda/Brawn in 2008/9

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Hehehehe.... Nearly is Lewis Hamilton in his rookie year. :tongue: :wink:

Found a couple of other pics I had of Mallocks racing as open wheelers. Plus now posting the right links for the other couple in my last post,

Arthur Mallock on the grid for an F2 race at Snetterton in 1967

And this is one car I know intimately personally, having been offered (and enjoyed) a shared drive in it one weekend, with Richard Mallock at Snetterton back in 1982. (*pic is not from that weekend, but is the car fairly recently elsewhere.*)
The families own Mallock Mk 6 in F-Ford spec.Or it was when I drove it.

Arthur at Crystal Palace in 1967 UK F3.

1976 UK F3 spec Mallock driven I think, by Ray..

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always