2020 banter & Silly season thread for MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Moto GP warm up lap on now.

10th different winner anyone?

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Crikey.... onto lap 2 and Quartararo is still on the bike and not even been off track yet.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Suzuki not doing their manufacturers championship hopes much good atm.... Mir down in 16th and Rins 8th,

(Suzuki and Ducati were both on 201 points going into this race.)

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Looks like Mir has dropped out with something broken on the bike. It suddenly lurched sideways mid corner and so Mir just cruised back to the garage.
Good job he sorted the title last weekend.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Oliveira wins easily for KTM, from Miller who passed Morbidelli for 2nd on the last lap. Great day for KTM with Pol Espargaro finishing 4th.

Quartar had another dismal day, last of all the Yamahas dropped him right down to 8th in the title race. To think it was not many races ago he was leading.

Miller's podium secured Ducati the constructors championship.

Brad Binder crashed out but still finished up as Rookie of the year.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

I wonder where Oliveira would have ended up if C19 had not itervened, given that Mir only won once but consistently scored
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

One of the best MotoGP seasons in the books, albeit down to freaky reasons. Who knows how Marquez will fare upon his comeback but this was a great season that we really needed.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I wonder if that was the finest season ever. The best one I've seen purely from an entertainment perspective, but that view is of course both aided and hampered by the fact that MM93 wasn't there. Surely it was the closest season ever, the days of drivers winning by 15+ seconds are long gone now and the field is just getting more and more tightly packed with every season.

All manufacturers except for the absolutely hopeless Aprilia (and Honda, but that's the Marquez factor) team won a race this year. They obviously don't have the resources that Suzuki has, and like KTM they probably need a satellite operation to help with development. I wonder how long they'll stick around if they continue to prop up the rear of the grid and success is measured in how many 10th places finishes Aleix can drag out of that bike.

Taakaki impressed me this year, finished inside the top-10 in every race he finished.
Dovi fourth in the championship despite a quiet season where Ducati never got the hang of the new rear slick.
Honda are hopeless without MM93, maybe they should try and make the bike more user friendly. Then again, if MM is back and winning races, Honda won't bother with the other three bikes.
Miller has been impressive this year too.
FQ faded spectacularly towards the tail end of the season.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

SB83 wrote: 3 years ago One of the best MotoGP seasons in the books, albeit down to freaky reasons. Who knows how Marquez will fare upon his comeback but this was a great season that we really needed.
Indeed it was very watchable, and with I think 10 different race winners offered pleenty of variety.
Choke of the year has to be Quartararo.... the beginning of last month he was clear at the top of the table.... he ended up just keeping 8th position by a couple of points!

Re Marquez I read recently in the Spanish press that his injuries are still a long way from healing, with it likely that he will still have to get bone grafts on his arm from where they had to use too many screws to try and fix the plate got broken due to his over ambitious early comeback attempt. The bone has become too damaged to repair normally and needs bone graft surgery. It sort of hinted he might not be out on track for the season start. (Whether that is a bit of Spanish clickbait or fact based I dont know.)

Edit, just tried to find the article and although not the one I saw originally there are many similar reports confirming the need for further surgery and bone grafts.....
https://www.motorcycledaily.com/2020/11 ... one-graft/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Looks like Mir has dropped out with something broken on the bike. It suddenly lurched sideways mid corner and so Mir just cruised back to the garage.
Good job he sorted the title last weekend.
He says the reason for his retiring from the race was an electrical issue that made the traction control very erratic.... some times not working at all, then working normally. That would explain the sudden lurch I saw, no doubt caused by the TC failing and all the power going to the rear wheel! Scary sounding shit.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
SB83 wrote: 3 years ago One of the best MotoGP seasons in the books, albeit down to freaky reasons. Who knows how Marquez will fare upon his comeback but this was a great season that we really needed.
Indeed it was very watchable, and with I think 10 different race winners offered pleenty of variety.
Choke of the year has to be Quartararo.... the beginning of last month he was clear at the top of the table.... he ended up just keeping 8th position by a couple of points!

Re Marquez I read recently in the Spanish press that his injuries are still a long way from healing, with it likely that he will still have to get bone grafts on his arm from where they had to use too many screws to try and fix the plate got broken due to his over ambitious early comeback attempt. The bone has become too damaged to repair normally and needs bone graft surgery. It sort of hinted he might not be out on track for the season start. (Whether that is a bit of Spanish clickbait or fact based I dont know.)

Edit, just tried to find the article and although not the one I saw originally there are many similar reports confirming the need for further surgery and bone grafts.....
https://www.motorcycledaily.com/2020/11 ... one-graft/
Hmm, from reading that, it sounds like even if he does manage to make it to the grid to start 2021, he will likely either A) have lingering issues that could hamper his performance B) have to take extra care to not aggravate the injury, which might just take the edge off his bravado (just kidding, it won't).
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

It’s been a great season indeed with many point of interest. Tyre management has been the most important factor this year and suzuki seemed the bike who was better handing the variability among all the tracks. Between the two riders Mir was more consistent and took the title with merit but he hasn’t really impressed me so much for his performances. He will have to confirm his results to prove he’s not a “one hit wonder”.
The real loser of the season was yamaha who didn’t take advantage of marquez absence and ducati fuckup, mostly because for a bad choice of riders. Quartararo melted under the pressure, vinales was more erratic than ever, rossi showed he’d better retire for good. The best rider they had was not supported properly. In my opinion the real surprise was Morbidelli who arrived few points from
Mir in the final standindgs. He payed some mistakes and the lack of support from yamaha. If i was in them i would really reconsider their official lineup for next year
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

This was the most coin toss season since 2000 when Kenny Roberts wasn't the fastest man on most tracks but was the most consistent rider in the field.

It's funny how after MM went down it was all down to Quartararo & Ducatis. Nobody mentioned Suzukis and if someone picked them it was Rins as the darkest of the dark horses. Yamaha actually won 7 of 14 races yet it's Ducati which won 1 race wins the constructors title.

This season killed the "this tracks suits this bike better" narrative. Suzuki worked well on most tracks, high speed and high downforce. Quartararo is a headcase, so is Vinales. Morbidelli was like #4 Yamaha rider on the pecking order and he did a stellar job matching Mir's performances. The outsiders finished 1-2 in the standings. I can't wait to see how Quartararo & Vinales belly flop next year again.

As for Marquez, even Polish TV commentators indicated his recovery is going bad due to him suddenly going silent on social media and stuff. Word is he needs a third surgery on the arm.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

@Vassago ducati won 2 races. One with dovizioso and one with petrucci

I agree with you about vinales and quartararo. And for marquez it will be a real challenge for him to go back to his previous suoerman status. The injure and the botched recovery might hit on him also psycologically. I hope he won’t have the same condition of jorge lorenzo
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

John wrote: 3 years ago I wonder if that was the finest season ever. The best one I've seen purely from an entertainment perspective, but that view is of course both aided and hampered by the fact that MM93 wasn't there. Surely it was the closest season ever, the days of drivers winning by 15+ seconds are long gone now and the field is just getting more and more tightly packed with every season.

All manufacturers except for the absolutely hopeless Aprilia (and Honda, but that's the Marquez factor) team won a race this year. They obviously don't have the resources that Suzuki has, and like KTM they probably need a satellite operation to help with development. I wonder how long they'll stick around if they continue to prop up the rear of the grid and success is measured in how many 10th places finishes Aleix can drag out of that bike.

Taakaki impressed me this year, finished inside the top-10 in every race he finished.
Dovi fourth in the championship despite a quiet season where Ducati never got the hang of the new rear slick.
Honda are hopeless without MM93, maybe they should try and make the bike more user friendly. Then again, if MM is back and winning races, Honda won't bother with the other three bikes.
The finest, no.
But one of the most brilliant in our time with MotoGP (post 500cc).
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Andy wrote: 3 years ago
John wrote: 3 years ago I wonder if that was the finest season ever. The best one I've seen purely from an entertainment perspective, but that view is of course both aided and hampered by the fact that MM93 wasn't there. Surely it was the closest season ever, the days of drivers winning by 15+ seconds are long gone now and the field is just getting more and more tightly packed with every season.

The finest, no.
But one of the most brilliant in our time with MotoGP (post 500cc).
I can respect that. I only followed the 500cc era casually (no Eurosport back then).
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.