1970s UK Motorcycle Championships

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

1970s UK Motorcycle Championships

Post by PTRACER »

Looking at photos from this event, but I don't really understand the series titles:

http://www.progcovers.com/motor/cadwell790916.jpg

Formula 1 is also a motorcycle category?

Are these from the 'F1' race?

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Yes F1 used to be a motorcycle series. I believe it eventually morphed into Superbikes in the late 80s, @Andy can confirm.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

IIRC it started as an IoM thing and developed. I think they also had an F2 class based on engine size/type. F1 was for 1000cc (smaller for 2 stroke) initially. IIRC it might have been called Formula TT.
I think it started after the IoM TT was stripped of its Championship / British GP status and they needed a label to continue racing bikes there. Yes I believe it was ultimately what became World Superbikes
A lot of I think in my post, but I am sure @Andy will know the full and real story. :tongue: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Thanks @kals and @Everso Biggyballies! The race series title seems to be MCW TT Formula 1, but I can't find what MCW stands for, or any info about that series (was it a UK championship?). Also, those bikes in the photos don't look 1000cc, but maybe @Andy can confirm.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago Thanks @kals and @Everso Biggyballies! The race series title seems to be MCW TT Formula 1, but I can't find what MCW stands for, or any info about that series (was it a UK championship?). Also, those bikes in the photos don't look 1000cc, but maybe @Andy can confirm.
They had F1,F2,and initially F3 classes in the races as well, all with different engine sizes. I think the F3 class was for 125-250cc F2 were 250- 600cc and F1 600-1000cc in 4 stroke engines. (They allowed two strokes in each class which were smaller sized engine limits in each class)
@Andy will know the finer details for sure.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago IIRC it started as an IoM thing and developed. I think they also had an F2 class based on engine size/type. F1 was for 1000cc (smaller for 2 stroke) initially. IIRC it might have been called Formula TT.
I think it started after the IoM TT was stripped of its Championship / British GP status and they needed a label to continue racing bikes there. Yes I believe it was ultimately what became World Superbikes
A lot of I think in my post, but I am sure @Andy will know the full and real story. :tongue: :wink:
It was the Formula TT and the TT organisers as well as the ACU started a production series past the TT was stripped off the world championship status, as Chris rightly says.

Usually, the TT wasn't mentioned often but F1 and F2. Interestingly, exactly these two terms still have a place in sidecar racing these days.
You can also read it up at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_TT
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago Thanks @kals and @Everso Biggyballies! The race series title seems to be MCW TT Formula 1, but I can't find what MCW stands for, or any info about that series (was it a UK championship?). Also, those bikes in the photos don't look 1000cc, but maybe @Andy can confirm.
Since it was the forerunner of Superbikes the final iterations were 750s although bikes like the Britten 1000 were taking part as well. A few 1000s and a lot of 750s in F1 like Ducatis Desmo 750 TT F1 .... Its paint job was the Italian flag, one of the more known. But Slippery Sam the Triumph Trident took part in the early days as well.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Andy wrote: 4 years ago
Since it was the precedessor of Superbikes the final iterations were 750s although bikes like the Britten 1000 were taking part as well. A few 1000s and a lot of 750s in F1 like Ducatis Desmo 750 TT F1 .... Its paint job was the Italian flag, one of the more known. But Slippery Sam the Triumph Trident took part in the early days as well.
And if you look at the schedules towards the end in '90 you'll find quite some circuits which were found again a bit later in WSB
WSB started as a rival series in 1988 and proved to be more commercially successfull so Formula TT was discontinued.