Technorama Hildesheim 2018 7.-9.9.18

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Technorama Hildesheim 2018 7.-9.9.18

Post by Andy »

A couple days early this year and not post event either. Actually, I'm not sure whether it fits here at all since it is a classic fair for both motorcycles and cars mainly but contains a race package, regularity runs, over the weekend as well.
The reason I'm posting pre-event this time round is, that this year I'll be part of it rather than just snatching the odd photo. Not in the racing but in the classic fair. So let me explain, how it came to it first.

In early January, along the main members meeting at my fire station a mate who became group leader (and I his vice) during the meeting would start chatting about our 50cc classic mopeds. The usual stuff, problems in finding spares, the right carburetor setup, changing transmission ratios etc. .
During our chat, I pointed him to the Technorama fair on the airfield in Hildesheim, which is a pretty good source for ancient spares. I know this from my previous experience since going for the first time in 2014. Now, in previous years it used to clash with our townships fire station competition but this year. I used to skip the competition while my mate usually went for it.
While we two kept on chatting, a couple of the just freshmen joined in, all between 16 and 18. It turned out that each of them still got one of these 50cc classics at home and that they were eager to do a little tour with a group. We agreed to do it on the first weekend of September in riding down to the Technorama. The fact, that every oldtimer and their respective drivers getting free entry, might have played a role here.

For me, it would have come a week after returning from the Manx GP, but I learnt a couple weeks past returning from the TT that I had to cancel the Manx for falling into healthcare funding past an overdue shoulder operation and due to the funding would not been allowed to travel abroad. So I went to the Sachsenring Classics at the end of June and learnt there that my mates from the Golden 50/125cc paddock, Aalt Toersen and Jan de Vries as well as their wives, would not be over at Hildesheim this year. A bit of a blow but no reason to not go.

Since the Manx got taken out of my hands and I got lots of time on my hands, I started overhauling the first bike, a Kreidler K54/421 (RMC) from 1977. Overhaul turned out that she's running a different engine to what would be supposed to be the core unit. In this case, a 2.6hp / 50cc single / 3-speed only built between 1965 and 1968. Once I found that out, it also got to my attention that she sported a dead wrong carburetor.
Amazingly, driving my car leaves me with a dead sore shoulder after five corners even four weeks post-op but riding motorcycles was possible just 2 weeks post-op and pain free as well. So I undertook a couple of test rides to find her almost dying whenever I got into the final 3/4th of throttle position. Worn out piston rings demanded a replacement and another carburetor with almost original setup got swapped in.
The testrides also turned out that she's shattering bad under front brake so I've ordered a new pair of drum pads and two main jets, in order to get a less rich mixture under full throttle. I'll try now to get the main jet as close as possible and only then start to play with the timing.
Spares should be here today or tomorrow.

ImageImage

Meanwhile, a mate with whom I usually do tours on the big birds, claimed interest in coming along but has no ride to fit in. So I pulled out my Zündapp 515-041 from 1966 with its 2.6hp / 50cc / 3-speed and started testrides on this wee bird while waiting for the Kreidler spares. She runs smooth, just a bit lazy on uphill stretches. So again, I'll have to play with its main jet. For now, I'm on schedule so lets wait & see, how it turns out
:bye:

"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

It is with great regret to announce the passing of my Kreidlers gearbox.
Todays testsession with her second rider went well until she suddenly went out. It was still possible to get her into neutral but ultimately the gear lever got stuck in an attempt to push start her and broke on the switching joint underneath.

Unfortunately, this is beyond a short repair and therefore no run to Technorama 2018 on the ole gals. :(

Talk about ole gals throwing spanners though :haha:
Well, that's the end to riding the classics to this years Technorama but I'll still go with the big bird now.

"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Unfortunately, there is nothing more to add to this chapter.
My mate and I rode down to Hildesheim on Friday only to learn that we would have to buy the full weekend ticket if we wanted to watch the practices on Friday. I asked whether they'd sell single tickets for Friday but the answer was no.
My mate and I then decided to have a run through the 'Rühler Schweiz' in the Weserbergland on Saturday instead, a tremendous stripe of land in terms of lovely, tough routes.
We finished off the trip in a place called NSU-Museum near Eschershausen. http://www.gutshof-wickensen.de/index.p ... useum.html
Really, a lovely place with cafe and restaurant all in a big old farmhouse with barn attached to it. It is laden with NSU's pre and post ww2 as well as Zündapps and a few more exotic motorcycles along with a nostalgia section.
I still had going to Technorama on the card for Sunday but ultimately didn't go. I doubt they will see me again though unless my mates of the Golden Classics 50/125cc tour rejoin the event.