2016 - Vauxhall Northwest 200

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Alright, they've already removed them, but here are the originals (heavily watermarked, sadly):

http://presseye.com/app/WebObjects/PESh ... 8b5pzP7EtM

EDIT: a video of the crash (from the live broadcast) can be found here:

And here:
https://twitter.com/JonathanNascar/stat ... 1490539520

Look at how the camera director cuts to the main straight immediately after the crash. Congratulations.
It's incredible that, if it weren't for that guy (who recorded the live broadcast), we wouldn't have seen anything.
I hope everyone recovers.
Motorsportrace
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bugger, that's a big one. Hope they all pull through. Nothing you can do in a situation like that. Literally nothing.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Farquhar is said to be serious, the other guy just minor injuries.

I really dislike this practice of removing photos and video out of 'respect', the NASCAR guy got abuse on twitter for uploading the video, when is the world going to realise these events actually happen and removing photo/videos won't magically make that event not happen?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

A very spectacular photo of the crash:
Still no actual official word on Ryan's condition, I saw a photo of the other guy sitting on a hospital bed in his leathers with his thumbs up.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

The semi-official word is chest and pelvis injuries, yesterday they were saying not life threatening.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/36279582
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The footage of the crash has already been removed :roll:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

PTRACER wrote:The footage of the crash has already been removed :roll:
The video on twitter is still on. I've saved it, anyways.

Isn't it funny that they watch this kind of races (very dangerous) and then, if something bad happens, they cut away, don't say a word about who was involved, etc.?

On the BBC Bikes page, some people are starting to understand that censoring this kind of stuff is quite stupid:
https://www.facebook.com/BBCBIKES/photo ... =3&theater
Motorsportrace
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

All the very best to Ryan for speedy but more importantly full recovery !

The crash was shown in the original online live coverage but just for a few secs. 3 to 4 if any befor the camera man cut away.

Could you please post the clip motorsportrace ?

Cheers
:bye:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Andy wrote:All the very best to Ryan for speedy but more importantly full recovery !

The crash was shown in the original online live coverage but just for a few secs. 3 to 4 if any befor the camera man cut away.

Cheers
Here it is:
Motorsportrace
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Motorsportrace wrote:
Andy wrote:All the very best to Ryan for speedy but more importantly full recovery !

Cheers
Here it is:
Thanks mate. That's what I saw last night.
Meanwhile there's a positive update released on his health status by Ryans KMR team:
An official statement issued by Ryan Farquhar’s KMR Kawasaki team says doctors are very optimistic that the injured racer will make a full recovery.

The 40-year-old Dungannon rider’s condition was described as seriously ill in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast after he sustained chest and pelvis injuries following a crash in Thursday’s Supertwins event.

However, on Friday afternoon, the official statement said he was making good progress and confirmed that his KMR Kawasaki team would participate in Saturday’s Supertwins race, with Jeremy McWilliams, Danny Webb and Darren James riding in the famous orange and black livery.

The statement said: “Following on from an incident in last night’s Supertwin race at the International North West 200 involving team owner Ryan Farquhar, KMR Kawasaki have today (2.30pm) announced that they intend to compete in tomorrow’s Supertwin race as scheduled.

“Farquhar was leading Thursday evening’s race when he crashed at Dhu Varren on the third lap, later being taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.

“The 40-year old had a successful operation late last night and is now in a stable condition with doctors stating they are happy with the progress he has made thus far and are very optimistic he will make a full recovery.

“KMR Kawasaki were also running Jeremy McWilliams, Danny Webb and Darren James in the class and the team have made a joint decision today that all three riders will be on the grid for Saturday’s four-lap race.”
source: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/motor ... -1-7381781
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Fantastic track. The slipstreaming is brilliant.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Racing abandoned after a young rider & newcomer crashed and passed away at the scene in the supertwin race.
I have a suspicion on who it was as I missed him coming over the line but the camera cut back to the front too so I can't say it for sure. Sad end to beautiful day.

RIP
:rip:
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Honestly, this race is like a war battle to me.
There's always a red flag, a serious crash, something like that.

The rider who died might be Malachi Mitchell-Thomas. He was the one who fell just before the race was red-flagged.

I didn't like the BBC coverage, cutting away from the bad stuff or not showing it at all (and commentators don't give a f**k about what happened). I can't understand it. It's probably my problem.

These races are simply not for me. I won't watch a road race anymore.
Motorsportrace
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Forget about the might be. :sorrow:

Road racing is just fantastic but while it usually gives you high adrenaline shots from just spectating this is the downside. And often in the same day, too.
The problem with the abandonment is that the scene of the incident gets closed for further investigation coz the rider died at the scene so there ain't an option other than abandon it.

It appears that the family of the fallen wanted the event to go on.

Radio Ulster just had a pretty well made chat show with grid presenter Stephen Watson, who is emotionally involved as he supported the fallen guy. Very well made
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

STATEMENT REGARDING FATAL INCIDENT AT 2016 VAUXHALL INTERNATIONAL NORTH WEST 200
14/05/2016

Malachi Mitchell-Thomas has died as a result of a crash on the third lap of the Supertwins race at the Vauxhall International North West 200 today. The 20 year old from Chorley in Lancashire crashed his Burrows Engineering Kawasaki on the approach to Black Hill. The race was immediately red flagged and Malachi was treated by medical staff from the MCUI Medical team but succumbed to his injuries at the scene. No other riders were involved in the incident. Racing was subsequently abandoned. The organisers of the event, the Coleraine and District Motor Club, would like to offer their heartfelt condolences to Malachi's family and team.
source: http://www.northwest200.org/latest-news/?id=185

After Billy Redmayne at Scarborough Spring Cup another shooting star gone too soon. I`d like to extend my condolences to Malachi's family and friends. Ride in peace

RIP :rip:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Another one.... :down:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."