Random motorcycle news

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Not quite sure whether I posted this one already or not but it is worth a listen.
The 1988 Newcomers Manx Grand Prix full 4-lap commentary featuring a certain Philip McCallen destroying the competition in the 250s and my good mate Barry Wood who also had his first go on the Mountain Course in the same class of the Newcomers Race.
Well, enjoy :bye:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

It is still some time until the first races of the year and I'm a bit bored to be honest.
Apart from planning my season, with no Isle of Man and in fact not leaving continental Europe this year, I found this lovely two videos.

A commented onboard lap of the Nordschleife with two-wheeled Ringmaster Helmut Dähne

And a 6min clip of the 1978 500cc race at the Nordschleife

My plans for 2020 so far:
May, 9-10 International Road Racing Championship, Hengelo, NL
May, 16-17 Sidecar World Championship, Lausitzring, GER
June, 4-7 German Speedweek (IDM & Endurance World Championship), Oschersleben, GER
July, 24-26 Internationale Deutsche Motorradmeisterschaft, Schleizer Dreieck, GER
July, 31-
August, 2 Superbike World Championship, Oschersleben, GER
September, 19-20 International Road Racing Championship, Frohburg, GER
Oktober, 3-4 Sidecar World Championship, Oschersleben, GER
Oktober, 16-18 Deutscher Langstrecken Cup, Oschersleben, GER
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

You might have heard it elsewhere already but in case you haven't, TT 2020 is cancelled.

Quoting myself below.
This is going to be my lucky year, really.
First the flight company with which I`d have booked went bankrupt and the loss of funds would have meant I couldn't go.
Now, a TT which I couldn't have attended anyways is cancelled and the other two big ones in heavy doubt.
It could be worse, in sitting here and watching all my mates posting stuff during the fortnight, knowing exactly what's going on.

I'm not pleased TT doesn't take place but I indeed regard it as my personal luck. ;)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Yeah just read the news re the cancellation and was going to post about that. Bummer as it is one of my annual highlights I look forward to, but understandable in the circumstances.

I think the last (and only?) time the event was cancelled was due to Foot and Mouth disease back at the start of the millennium.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Not the only time. There were a couple of things, called WW1 and WW2 if I recall correctly...
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Michael Ferner wrote: 4 years ago Not the only time. There were a couple of things, called WW1 and WW2 if I recall correctly...
Aha I said cancelled which meant a date arranged and then put off.... I think the war years nothing was ever planned/scheduled to be cancelled although obviously the event did not run. With the Foot and Mouth year, it was all scheduled before the outbreak of FaM caused its cancellation.. :wink:

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Hair splitter... ;)

But you're probably right. I think the Manx GP was cancelled by the second wwd (world wide disaster), but the TT proper got lucky both times. Not really sure how far ahead those events were planned at the time, but there were probably no formal cancellations (necessary).

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I hope the Dutch TT will go on. It would be the first time since 1949, the start of the world championship, the Dutch TT would not be held.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago I hope the Dutch TT will go on. It would be the first time since 1949, the start of the world championship, the Dutch TT would not be held.
Too soon past your countries current final lockdown date of June,1st I'm afraid.

Meanwhile, Mat Oxley put together another great read from side of motorsports on Trevor Nation at https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... 44Fy56xZEw

Kind of what mates and I still endure these days to get to and off circuits, even if we ain't racing.
But living in these open paddocks makes up for it. If you read up on the continental circus you'll find many of these stories ;)
Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago I hope the Dutch TT will go on. It would be the first time since 1949, the start of the world championship, the Dutch TT would not be held.
1947, even. There were national races in 1946 as well, don't know if they count.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Those count. It was still the Dutch TT.

Since 1925 there was a Dutch TT. First they started in Rolde. And from 1926 on, at De Haar, where the SF-line is at the same place as it was in 1926. Only 1940-45 broke the stream of TT's
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The Australian MotoGP has also been called off because of international travel restrictions.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago The Australian MotoGP has also been called off because of international travel restrictions.
The official statement:
AUSTRALIAN MOTORCYCLE GRAND PRIX 2020 CANCELLED
The Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) in conjunction with Dorna Sports today announced the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix 2020 is cancelled due to restrictions relating to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix 2020 was due to be held at the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit from 23-25 October.

Full refunds will be provided to all ticket holders and information will be provided on motogp.com.au.

The Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix has been an annual fixture since 1989 and has raced continuously at Phillip Island from 1997 to present day.

AGPC shares its disappointment with fans that the popular event cannot be held this year but looks forward to welcoming MotoGP™ fans back to Phillip Island in 2021.

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Yesterday two years ago saw the passing of Dan Kneen during Qualifying to the Isle of Man TT races.
A night, I probably never forget.
Roll back to the 2017 fortnight. A lad here in Germany, who was spannering for the Penz13 team at the time, had provided me a stay in Douglas at the bottom end of Broadway, just opposite the Villa Marina. Said lad mates would have a bbq once each week of the fortnight and on both occasions parts of the Penz13 team as well as Dan would appear as well. The second bbq, Wednesday night of race week, became a real happy one as Dan just had achieved his first TT podium in that days superstock race.

Following the 2017 TT fortnight, I immediatly had returned to that years Manx Grand Prix, where I became a full on Mountain Course marshal with the IOMTTMA.

Fast forward to 2018.
Since I wanted to photograph as well as marshaling, I had seperated the fortnight into two chunks. Qualifying week marshaling, race week photographing was the plan. To get to my preferred marshaling point at Quarry Bends just before the halfway marker, I had to sign on for shuttle transfer which usually leaves the grandstand 2 hours before roads close. Before the shuttle left for Wednesday night Qualifying, I tried to get ahold of Michael Dunlop at the Tyco BMW awning for an autograph on a Tyco fleece I had bought at Frohburg back in 2016.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find Michael but Dan was there beaming as ever and signed me that fleece after some trouble with my not working white pen markers. I clearly remember Hector Neill sitting in the corner of the awning and smiling from ear to ear. I thanked Dan and wished him well for the session, then left for the shuttle.

Up at Quarry Bends, roads closed at 6pm, as ever. At 6:27pm we got the 'Bikes into sector message' from Ballaugh Bridge, start of Sector 7.
The first bike into view was Dan who looked pretty aggressive and he was ahead of a pack of four or five by a couple of seconds.
About 2 and a half minutes later the dreaded red flag command for an incident in sector 8 Churchtown came up on the radio and my brain immediatly started its math, with Dan as the result. I felt like beaten into the stomache.
You don't wish it anyone, but maybe my math wasn't quite that correct. We saw the ambulance helicopter landing over in Ramsey direction but never departing. Then another message on radio, that bikes would be sent back against racing direction.
The engine noise got louder and the bikes were probably nearing from Sulby Crossroads but still out of view when another message set us into shock and horror. "Course Inspection Car into sector"
Red flag out and gate open all happened in a matter of seconds but whether the first pack of riders ignored us or if we were too late will remain a mystery. We managed to pull the the second group of riders.
Another radio message a few seconds later let us know that there has been a serious incident involving the course car at Ballacrye, a mile before us and only just out of sight. It turned out that the course car took Steve Mercer full on.

When I returned to paddock that night, the overall mood was low since news of Dans passing had already made the round, and it was drizzling down, for the only time during the entire fortnight. It wasn't cold though and I had two glases of whiskey. One for Dan, and one for Steve, hoping that at least Steve would make a full recovery. Over the reminder of the fortnight hung some strange mood everywhere.

When I returned home from the fortnight, I immediatly noticed a picture of Dan on my stairway wall which he kindly signed during the 2017 Manx GP. When I had left to TT it had a small nudge on the covering glasplate but now it had developed a full on crack from right bottom corner to almost middle of the right side. A bit bewildered I asked dad whether he had noticed something and he told me that he heard a strange noise Wednesday night but couldn't find its cause. It was the night Dan passed away.

Ride in peace, Dan :rip:
On The Pipe Boy

ImageImage
left: Dan on the way to podium, SSTK TT2017; right: Classic Lightweight Race, Manx Grand Prix 2017
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Here's quite a nice article by Adam Child, a moto journo who has raced the TT himself. It is about how he plots along on a race day from getting up to the famous tap on the shoulder.
https://drivetribe.com/p/why-ill-never- ... TOt-ZYqO4g
WHY I'LL NEVER GET BORED OF RACING THE ISLE OF MAN TT
Adam Child's raced his fair share of TTs – he explains why he still dreams of just one more lap…
In other news, ITV announced a revised schedule for their TT coverage to start from 8pm on Tuesday 16, 2020.

20.00 Tuesday 16 June 2020 - Best Superbike Races of the Decade

21.00 Tuesday 16 June 2020 - The Dunlop Factor

20.00 Wednesday 17 June 2020 - Best Supersport Races of the Decade

21.00 Wednesday 17 June 2020 - Padgetts: ‘TT Winners’

21.00 Thursday 18 June 2020 - The Ultimate Challenge

21.00 Friday 19 June 2020 - The Best Senior TT Races of the Decade