FIM won't release data on Rossi & Marquez Sepang clash

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

FIM won't release data on Rossi & Marquez Sepang clash

Post by kals »

Would releasing this data mean anything now, or would it incriminate the officials for the way they treated Rossi after the clash? Either way, the decision not to release AND ANNOUNCE it would not be released does nothing to reduce conspiracy theory.
Autosport.com wrote:Marc Marquez/Valentino Rossi Sepang MotoGP clash data stays secret

Saturday, January 23rd 2016, 09:59 GMT

Motorcycle racing's governing body the FIM says it will not release data from Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez's infamous Sepang 2015 MotoGP clash to avoid stoking further controversy.

At the height of the row between Rossi and Marquez, Honda declared its data would prove precisely what happened in the Malaysian Grand Prix collision at the centre of the furore.

There had been debate over whether Rossi kicked out at Marquez as they came together.

Honda ultimately declined to share the data publicly at the Valencia season finale after a request from the FIM.

The organisation's president Vito Ippolito says the FIM and Honda have now made a joint decision to keep the information private.

"It is true that at the end of the season the polemics around the Rossi/Marquez case swelled to unprecedented levels," he said.

"For that reason, we asked all the people involved, including the teams, to refrain from engaging in controversy about what happened in Sepang.

"During the last competition in Valencia, team Honda informed us that they had all the telemetry relating to the incident.

"Now the data is in our hands, and Honda and the FIM have decided together not to release it so as not to fuel further polemics."

He stood by the FIM and commercial body Dorna's handling of the 2015 row.

"There have been difficult moments, and I would say that it is inherent to the sport," said Ippolito.

"The most important thing is to manage to find the right response to such situations or at least to limit the damage and make adjustments.

"I would say the same about the end of the MotoGP season, which was a fantastic saga and also a dramatic one.

"The dispute was brought before the CAS [Court of Arbitration for Sport] and the case is now closed."

During the controversy, Ippolito issued a statement arguing the rows were "poisoning" MotoGP.

The pre-race press conference at Valencia was then cancelled in favour of an extraordinary meeting between riders and series chiefs, although the key protagonists still held their own individual media briefings afterwards.

At Yamaha's 2016 season launch this week, team boss Lin Jarvis intimated that talks between Dorna, the FIM and teams over what changes should be made in the wake of last year's row were ongoing.
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

This will spawn a good book or film. This cloak and dagger stuff is still going on.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

It is all about the 'kick'. Honda claims the data proves that is how Marquez fell. But the theory is flawed considering what we know and have seen of the incident.

Now most everyone agrees that Rossi should have shown his displeasure after the race and his pre-race mind games worked against him. Yet MotoGP handled the situation very poorly and have muddied the waters continuously, even more so with this announcement.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

This decision increases the suspects that the championship last year was fixed
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

caneparo wrote:This decision increases the suspects that the championship last year was fixed
Unfortunately, I have to agree there.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I agree.

Of course the other thing it promotes is that the FIM are very happy to work with an unhealthy lack of transparency, thus promoting an ongoing lack of trust and even motives / agenda within the body set up to maintain an unbiased and equitable, equal status fair to all.

It will without doubt lead to an ongoing deserved lack of trust and a sour undertone to all issues under their control, in any future incidents. :annoyed:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

they won't admit they fucked up until Rossi's retired for completely different reasons/until everyone's who lived through this era is dead
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I agree with all of the above. I could understand the punishment if Rossi had behaved like Schumi or Senna did from time to time, but Rossi doesn't belong in the flawed genius category like many of his contemporaries. Last week I read this blog, it is a great read from experienced racer Jason Pridmore. It expresses my thoughts quite well...
Jason Pridmore wrote:Marquez Vs Rossi

by Jason Pridmore | Oct 31, 2015

The Clash

Well, what’s new in Moto GP? Hmmm…….

I, like the rest of you, watched the Malaysian Gran Prix last Sunday. Pedrosa won right??

It was truly a great performance for Dani and yet most people will never remember it. What went on with Rossi and Marquez will be etched into history and could be a game changer for how things are run from here on out. I have read so many comments on everything about what went on but let me give you a few perspectives.

For the past two seasons Marc Marquez has dominated Moto GP. He has been an absolute phenom and has proven to be a step ahead of his competition. Really, up until this year, there has been zero reason to not like Marquez. He always seems jovial, great in front of the camera and good to his fans. This year however, the competition has caught up, things aren’t going the way they have and with the increased pressure we have seen many mistakes.

I saw a different Marquez after Argentina. To this day the fact that he blames Rossi for his obvious screw up is baffling. When I saw his first interview after the race I thought he was joking. Remember, Rossi was catching him at almost 1 second per lap due to tire choices. There was zero chance Marquez was staying with Rossi after Rossi went past. Marquez played hardball and ran into the side of Vale and went down. Then his last gasp effort at Assen was just as strange. No idea what he expected Rossi to do. He again ran into the side of Rossi’s bike and again he lost. He initiated the contact both times and neither worked in his favor.

Rossi, on the other hand, has finished every race and more often than not, on the podium. Racking up points and being the story of the year, he has shown what it takes to win again. How a 36 year old, 9 Time World Champion can keep digging deep? Been fun to watch.

At the press conference in Malaysia, I was blindsided by Rossi’s comments after the Australian Gran Prix. We have all heard about the head games he has played in the past with Biaggi and Gibernau. Was this another way for him to get into Lorenzo’s head? It all didn’t make sense after what I considered to be the best Gran Prix I had witnessed. I didn’t want to believe it if I am being honest. I actually doubted The Doctor!!

Then Sunday came. I was just waking up in my hotel in Spain and put live coverage on the TV (love that). Pedrosa looked unstoppable for the first time in years but nobody was watching that. What was going to happen behind him?

Marquez Vs Rossi

Let me ask you a couple questions:

- When have you seen Marquez put up zero fight for 1st or 2nd?
- When have you seen Marquez lose .4-.8 seconds a lap at the start of any Gran Prix in the past 3 years?
- Marquez claims he was waiting for tires to come in, 7 laps into the race? They worked ok for Pedrosa?
- Marquez claimed set up issues and more than that, claimed turn four was a huge problem for him. Why then would you keep stuffing it up the inside of Rossi in that corner having to over slow the bike and allowing the two ahead to keep getting away?
- Did anyone else notice that when Rossi rode back up the inside of Marquez before the contact he was sitting up?? That’s how much Marquez was slowing up mid corner, go back and check it for your self.

I did have one problem with Rossi

The only problem I had with what Rossi did was that he didn’t do it sooner!!!!!! I was screaming at the TV to park Marquez. Racing Rossi to me was no problem but what Marquez was doing was disrupting a Championship that he no longer had any involvement in. In my opinion he got what he deserved. Rossi wasn’t trying to take Marc out and for those that think Rossi kicked him, STOP IT!!!!! Marquez could have kept going straight like Rossi did, he didn’t, he fell over. Then went whimpering back to his pits crying about something that HE started, again!!! Then before the race ended started claiming his innocence; he was just racing and enjoying the battle, I don’t think so. He was as innocent as a guy who walks into the bank and gets handed someone else’s $100,000 on accident, then leaves with it. He didn’t do anything wrong, he just didn’t come out and tell the truth. Does anyone honestly think for a minute that when the Marquez crew was having dinner at some point this year, little Marc hasn’t told them he wants to get back at Rossi? I’d bet my life on it.

A totally unwritten rule of racing is to never get involved with the guys running for the Championship. I know this opens up a can of worms but it’s a fact, especially in the last two races. I’ve gone up to guys on the grid and said I will not get anywhere near you two. I’ve also had riders come up to me and say the same. Whether I have liked them or not, I was out of the Championship and I wasn’t going to take my grudges out and alter the outcome of the season. Do any of you think that Marquez, during those laps with Rossi on Sunday wasn’t smiling a bit under his helmet? Funny thing is, he crashed enough on his own this year to take himself out of the Championship.

And then there’s Lorenzo

I’m over Lorenzo. What a whining tart he has turned into, constantly moaning. The best video clip of the year is him pulling into the top 3 parc ferme after qualifying in Malaysia only to see that Rossi pipped him for 3rd. He had already shut his bike off and had to push it down to his garage where he pouted away to the back and then complained about brake issues. If Marquez did to Lorenzo what was being done to Rossi can you imagine the press conference after? He would have bitched about Marquez to no end, especially if Rossi was checking out because of it. Lorenzo’s comments after the race in Sepang were despicable. Running off the podium then crying, if Rossi wins the Championship it won’t be a real Championship? Really? He is constantly reminding us that he is a World Champion, stop your crying and act like one.

I personally think Rossi would have finished 4th on Sunday, all things considered. I have said for the past two columns that he doesn’t quite have the pace of the other two. I have been a fan of all three of these guys but as you can probably tell, there is only one that I am rooting for these days. I give Rossi about a 20% chance of winning the Championship now but I would love to see him do it. Coming from the last row will be very, very, difficult but taking the crown on home soil of Lorenzo and Marquez would be priceless.

This was a hard column for me to write and it dominated my brain for days while in Spain. I just feel like the wrong thing was done on Sunday and it started not because of Rossi or what he said in a stupid press conference, those are just words. It started because someone got his ego checked this year and doesn’t want to look at why. As brilliant as Marquez’s riding is, its time to grow up. Rossi will always be endeared and when he goes, Moto GP is in big trouble. Especially if Marquez and Lorenzo are what we all have to deal with.

Cheers and ride safe,

JP
http://starmotorcycle.com/marquez-vs-rossi/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

:agreepost:

The quote says it all.

My respect for Marquez pre last season was immense..... by season end it had reduced gradually to minimal, with him getting swallowed up by his own ego. Lorenzo has always had his flaws. Respect for him has also reduced and has taken from his potential greatness. Both show talent but are flawed with weaknesses. Neither will ever become the next Rossi.

As for the FIM, they have shown themselves to be spineless and far from unbiased. Race fixing is a big call but their lack of transparency adds to their lack of credibility.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I agree with you.

Marquez pre-Argentina 2015 was amazing to behold and he was such a nice guy to go with it. It started going downhill from that point and I have little respect for him now. Lorenzo's behaviour is just disappointing. When he joined in 2009 he seemed a bit of a dick, but his demeanor through 2010 when he won the title (by his admission) because of Rossi's injury was good to see. Buy his constant bitching and whinging in 2015 was such a shame.

A couple of nights back I watched the 2015 season review. At Valencia Rossi was given a standing ovation by everyone in the pits and paddock, similar to that Dale received for winning the 500 in 1998. Lorenzo didn't and he was World Champion. Says a lot about the man and Dorna.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:.....

As for the FIM, they have shown themselves to be spineless and far from unbiased. Race fixing is a big call but their lack of transparency adds to their lack of credibility.
A couple days ago Phil Read and another world champion (whose name escapes at the moment) called it the spanish mafia. Not some fans opinion which would go unheard. No, one of the sports great champions. It says it all, really.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

kals wrote:I agree with you.

Marquez pre-Argentina 2015 was amazing to behold and he was such a nice guy to go with it. It started going downhill from that point and I have little respect for him now. Lorenzo's behaviour is just disappointing. When he joined in 2009 he seemed a bit of a dick, but his demeanor through 2010 when he won the title (by his admission) because of Rossi's injury was good to see. Buy his constant bitching and whinging in 2015 was such a shame.

A couple of nights back I watched the 2015 season review. At Valencia Rossi was given a standing ovation by everyone in the pits and paddock, similar to that Dale received for winning the 500 in 1998. Lorenzo didn't and he was World Champion. Says a lot about the man and Dorna.
I`m not sure I have had real respect for Marquez anyway.
First, I remember one incident with Tom Lühti in the Moto2 class in Quatar where Marquez ran Tom wide into T1. I remember too that I called it a race incident. A tough one but a race incident. But it left me with a sour taste.
The same sour flavour returned when the rookie rule was set off in Hondas/Marc Marquez' favour to get him into the Honda works seat a year earlier. I too remember a couple occasions where Marc Marquez lost his mind and played dirty, similar to the incident with Lühti. All before the 2015 season which ruined my last tiny bit of respect for that guy.
I don't even think that Rossi got some of his own medicine. What is true though is that Rossi got his championship ruined for handing out Marquez' medicine to Marc Marquez
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Valentino Rossi felt 'screwed' in 2015 MotoGP feud with Marc Marquez
By Mitchell Adam Wednesday, March 9th 2016, 10:47 GMT

Valentino Rossi believes he had no choice but to speak out against Marc Marquez last year because he realised he was "screwed" in the MotoGP title race.

Rossi launched an attack on Marquez before the penultimate round at Sepang, accusing the Spaniard of "thinking like a child" and plotting to help Jorge Lorenzo win the title.

The pair then clashed during the Malaysian Grand Prix 72 hours later, and Rossi's penalty meant he started the Valencia finale from the rear of the grid, and he lost the championship to his Yamaha team-mate.

The seven-time MotoGP champion says that while he "had everything to lose", his press conference comments were a last resort.

"I have thought long and hard on what had happened," Rossi told Motosprint.

"I also thought that perhaps it would have been better not to do it, but I had to, because I had realised that I was screwed.

"It would have been already difficult to beat Lorenzo in a normal situation, but when Marquez went against me, I realised I got screwed.

"With that press conference, more than trying to intimidate Marquez, I tried to call for the attention of race direction, in order to sort out this thing.

"We had tried to talk to race direction, but they didn't listen to us, so I tried this other way.

"I think they underestimated the problem, because what happened is something no one had expected: I didn't, and neither did they, so when we told them, they looked at us wondering 'what's behind this?'.

"The issue was underestimated. It could have been avoided by talking together in Malaysia."

A week out from the start of the 2016 MotoGP season in Qatar, Rossi says that "nothing will ever be the same" for him with Marquez and Lorenzo.

While he expects to maintain a working relationship with Lorenzo, Rossi is still perplexed by what he views as Marquez's tactics.

"It would have been better for [Marquez], too, had he done his own races," he added.

"It was completely clear what his intentions were, with the Valencia race [when Marquez finished second to Lorenzo] being the cherry on top.

"Anyway... it is not very important, in the sense that our relationship, after what had happened, can never be restored.

"We'll have to be only rivals, but I would like us to be able to focus on that, more than on nonsense such as 'let's shake hands, let's not'.

"I prefer doing real things, that's the way.

"OK with Lorenzo, who is my team-mate, but not with him, really."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I totally agree with Rossi on this..... he got right royally screwed. I wish Marquez to get his immature arse spanked by Rossi this year, and also by Pedrosa. :wink:

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Pedrosa missed 3 rounds in 2015 and averaged 13.7 points for all 15 rounds he contested. Marquez on the other hand competed in all 18 rounds and averaged 13.4 points per race.

Pedrosa finished every race he started and failed to score only once. Marquez retired in 6 races, all due to falls / rider error.

With all things considered, Marquez did get his arse spanked in 2015 by both Pedrosa and Rossi and we can continue to wish for the same in 2016.