Bikes 2015

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Bikes 2015

Post by Andy »

With the first two rounds of WSB, the Daytona 200 already run and the MotoGP to start coming weekend it is time for the new Bikes thread, I think. Last week also the TT Launch 2015 took place on the islands Villa Marina with the chatshow lead by James Whitham and Steve Parrish. You can find it at https://www.youtube.com/user/isleofmantt
As far as WSB goes , I really enjoy to see the jumps in performance Leon Haslam and Johnny Rea made. Also a honourable mention goes out to Rattaipark Wilairot for winning his home WSS round last weekend becoming the first Thai rider to have won a major international race.

Anyway I'm getting excited for MotoGP and hope that Hondas advantage has got down considerably.
In the main time, like mentioned in the literature thread, I started reading the Hugh Anderson, MBE autobiography "Being There".
As part of the Suzuki works team when Ernst Degner carried over MZ secrets after fleeing from the German Democratic Republic, Hugh spends lots of time to write about his good relationship with Ernst. I haven't got further yet, but it is a great, pleasent read

:bye:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Literally know nothing about bikes, but thanks for posting that Qatar is happening this weekend :thumbsup: If you find a good quality stream, post it up, I'll probably watch it (providing it doesn't clash with anything else).
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I've watched the first WSBK rounds. Philip Island was immense with two intense finishes, whereas Thailand was not as good. But seeing Johnny Rea finally get a bike worthy of his talents is great to see.

MotoGP at Qatar should be interesting. Will anyone topple Marquez and Honda? Will Ducati's testing pace convert into a decent result. How about the Brits of Redding, Cal and Smith?
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

I've been watching MotoGP on Cricfree so far but I heard there's a xbmc successor with a plugin for UK TV that has a UK proxy built in too. Got to check it out especially for the forthcoming BSB season opener on Easter Weekend.

Bradley Smith and Scott Redding do considerably well, I think. Especially Scott Redding with the new MarcVDS/Estrella Galicia MotoGP team impresses me there. Cal Crutchlow still holds a bit back, I feel, but it was only practice so far anyway. The most surprising forward jump in my view has been made by Suzuki, directly mixing up the Honda/Yamaha domination. Looking forward to quali tomorrow now.

Much like Kals, I found the first WSB round at Phillips Island just great. The early 2:30am get up time was worth every single second whereas the second round at Buriram was rather dull. I felt that it has much to do with the circuits themself.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Qatar GP was a-mazing. Glad I tuned in.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

It was a fantastic race and totally unexpected. Reminded me of Stoner and Rossi's battle of 2007. One of the finest GPs I've seen, up there with Catalunya 2009, South Africa 2004, Laguna Seca 2008 and Jerez 2005.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Also the Moto3 and Moto2 races been absolute crackers.
Moto3 : 0.047 of a sec between one and two in a tow battle to the line, and the top nine all inside a second.
Moto2 : less terrifying but absolute dramatic, if not heartbreaking in Johan Zarcos case. Leading by more than 5 secs and then the gear shift lever breaks with three to go and he's stuck in 3rd gear handing victory to another bloody quick but usually very luckless rider, Jonas Folger.
MotoGP saw a lovely battle, of course. Glad to see Ducati and Yamaha can shake the Hondas up a bit. Suzuki needs more time. And I really hope that Dani Pedrosas arm pump problems are not career ending. But as far as I am aware it is a returning issue with him that got treated more than on one occasion so it doesn't look too good. Really wish him the best.
Absolute disappointment to me has been Stefan Bradl. It is always something else. The bike, the tires, the electronics but him. He had fewer test time due to a cold but I don't like how he blames everything.
All in all an exciting season opener.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Here's a stat for you: Marc Marquez broke the MotoGP speed record this Sunday. Just the 217.66mph/350.2kmh.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

That's not too shabby :thumbsup:
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

An interview q&a style with John McGuinness . Can be found at http://shoeiassured.co.uk/John-McGuinness-Questions.pdf
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

The British Superbikes are rolling into town, err Donington circuit, for their Easter Sunday/Monday season opener. With British Eurosport 2's excellent coverage, I really hope to catch a good steady stream down here. Also I enjoy that sidecars get some TV time. Even more so since I'm involved with co-sponsoring http://www.inkyann.com/ , a British sidecar team who hope for wildcard entries in the British Championship.

Edit: Found videos of their Le Mans outings in the French Championship

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

I'm glad I followed BSB at Donington the whole Easter Monday afternoon.
Terrific racing in all classes, a great opening round really

Now on to Circuit of the Americas with MotoGP and to Aragon with WSB this weekend. Also the world sidecar championship rolls of at Donington but I haven't found hints of coverage here so far, unfortunately.
Along with VLN a good way to spend the weekend :bye:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I missed it unfortunately, the same as I'll miss all this weekend's racing to spend time with my girlfriend...I'm looking forward to going back to Uni 140 miles away just so I can watch racing without needing permission :haha:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

The MotoGP races at Austin last weekend been really good. Not as good as Qatar, but still on a high level. Off to Argentinia this weekend and I'm loking forward to it. Has someone seen Marc Marquez`final qualifying lap at Austin ?
Absolutely mind boggling stuff. MM93 reognises that his bike acts up and parks it against the pitwall near pit exit. Then he runs like mad to his pitbox and convinces his team to just give him the reserve bike with reportedly "different tires and engine setup". He goes out again in a hurry on this bike and only just manages a final flyer which became 0.6 secs faster than the 2nd placed qualifier.
Personally, I don't buy into the different tires/engine setup though. Nicely made up by Honda advertisement to add to the drama. If there is a 2nd bike spare and there's always the possibility of falling down but the rider entitled to continue after returning to pits on whichever supply way, it simply doesn't make sense to keep the spare bike on a complete different setup.
But even without this controversy this was one of the most mad, frantic qualifying laps I have ever witnessed. Truly fantastic.

Also there was the Ian Watson Spring Cup at Oliver's Mount, Scarborough but I've failed to find footage so far. And WSB at Aragon as well as the World Sidecar Championship at Donington. But I can't tell how was coz I haven't discovered footage from these either.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Forgot to mention earlier that the 24h at Le Mans, round 1 of the FIM WEC, gets underway today with free practice.
Live Timing link : http://www.fimewc.com/live-timing/

Found clips from Ian Watson Spring Cup, Oliver's Mount, Scarborough last weekend

And of course, the WSB rocks around "The Cathedral" at Assen, while BSB moves to Brands Hatch Indy for Rd. 2 this weekend.
:bye: